Vita Release: GameMakerVPKBuilder 1.0
Developer Markus00095 has released GameMakerVPKBuilder 1.0 for PS Vita. This tool lets you install and run games made with the popular GameMaker PC engine, on your PS Vita.
This follows his release of the same tool for PS4 and Nintendo Switch, a few days ago.
What is GameMaker/GameMakerVPKBuilder for PS Vita
GameMaker is a popular Game engine designed for multiple platforms, with the vast majority of the games designed for PC. Some of the most popular games made with GameMaker include Undertale, Hotline Miami, Shovel Knight, and Hyperlight drifter.
GameMakerVPKBuilder lets you recompile and install GameMaker PC games, to run on your PS Vita.
The author notes that some GameMaker PC games will not work with this (black screen). This is not related to the tool itself, but to the way some of the games work, and possibly some of the APIs they use.
Similar to he PS4 version, it is also necessary to add PS Vita controls to some games: in some cases the game will run, but you won’t be able to input anything, without changing the source code of the game. Of course, for open source games using GameMaker, this is a possibility, and we could see lots of ports coming in the months to come, but for proprietary games this might not be a possibility.
How to use GameMakerVPKBuilder for PS Vita
(Download link for the tool below, at the end of the article)
- unzip the tool archive in a new folder
- Download any GameMaker PC game
- Open the game’s exe file with Winrar or other archive decompressing tool
- Grab all the files from the game’s archive, and copy them into the Game_inject folder
- Run GameMakerVPKBuilder.exe, choose option 2, then wait
- You can then optionally create your own game icons (choice 1), or use the default ones (choice 2)
- Enter the name of the game
- Change the titleID of the game (all uppercase, ex: AAAA00000), then hit enter
- Wait until the end of the compilation
- Your VPK is ready to be installed
Download GameMakerVPKBuilder 1.0 for PS Vita
Disclaimer: During our tests, one of our machines reported that the main executable for the game was infected with a Trojan (Wacatac). Multiple people have told us this is most likely a false positive. With that being said, we have not been provided with an “updated” version of the executable, so please download and use at your own risk.
Please note that in order to install and run GameMaker games on your PS Vita, you will need a hacked PS Vita.