PS4 Release: GameMakerPKGBuilder v1.0
Developer Markus00095 has released GameMakerPKGBuilder 1.0 for PS4. This tool lets you install and run games made with the popular GameMaker PC engine, on your PS4.
This follows his release of the same tool for Nintendo Switch, a few days ago.
What is GameMaker/GameMakerPKGBuilder for PS4
GameMaker is a popular Game engine designed for multiple platforms, with the vast majority of the games designed for PC. Some of the most popular games made with GameMaker include Undertale, Hotline Miami, Shovel Knight, and Hyperlight drifter.
GameMakerPKGBuilder lets you recompile and install GameMaker PC games, to run on your PS4.
The author notes that some GameMaker PC games will not work with this (black screen). This is not related to the tool itself, but to the way some of the games work, and possibly some of the APIs they use.
It is also necessary to add PS4 controls to some games: in some cases the game will run, but you won’t be able to input anything, without changing the source code of the game. Of course, for open source games using GameMaker, this is a possibility, and we could see lots of ports coming in the months to come, but for proprietary games this might not be a possibility.
How to use GameMakerPKGBuilder for PS4
(Download link for the tool below, at the end of the article)
- unzip the tool archive in a new folder
- Download any GameMaker PC game
- Open the game’s exe file with Winrar or other archive decompressing tool
- Grab all the files from the game’s archive, and copy them into the Game_inject folder
- Run GameMakerPKGBuilder.exe, choose option 2, then wait
- You can then optionally create your own game icons (choice 1), or use the default ones (choice 2)
- Enter the name of the game
- Change the titleID of the game (all uppercase, ex: AAAA00000), then hit enter
- Wait until the end of the compilation
- Your PKG is ready to be installed
Download GameMakerPKGBuilder 1.0 for PS4
Disclaimer: During our tests, one of our machines reported that the main executable for the game was infected with a Trojan (Wacatac). Multiple people have told us this is most likely a false positive, and the developer has replied with the following message. With that being said, we have not been provided with an “updated” version of the executable, so please download and use at your own risk.
My pc is clean and my .exe too…
Its just windows detect a false positive like all gamemakerbuilder (Nsp, Pkg and Vpk)…
The .exe just, rename, copy, convert png to jpg or jpg to png and create pkg…
I use in program others safe tools like orbis_pub_cmd, gengp4.exe etc…
— . (@Markus00095) August 7, 2021
Please note that in order to install and run GameMaker games on your PS4, you will need a Jailbroken PS4.
Source: Markus00095 (thanks to @MSZ_MGS for the tip!)