PSVita: Grand Theft Auto San Andreas port receives significant update with shorter loading times, XBOX 360 button mappings, crash fix and more!
Earlier this week, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas found its way onto the PlayStation Vita thanks to excellent work by TheFloW, Rinnegatamante and aap but as is common with most software releases, some rough edges need to be smoothed out after the initial release. As a result, the trio updated their port to version 1.1 which we’ll be looking at in this article.
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas 1.1 for the Vita released
On Wednesday, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas was released on the PlayStation Vita to a decent deal of fanfare after a month long wait since the initial announcement of the game coming to the console. This wait was primarily due to the port being based on the Android version of the game which required some optimisations and improvements to be made in order to provide a pleasant experience on the PlayStation Vita. However, this wait was definitely worthwhile as the port works pretty well and provides an experience highly reminiscent to the PlayStation 2’s version but a few hours back, version 1.1 was released in order to make the port a tad better.
According to the change log of GTA San Andreas 1.1, this update brings the following improvements over the initial release:
- XBOX 360 button mappings are now utilised as the default control scheme
- This change allows one to switch target by using L2/R2 (rear touchpad), fixes fighting moves while also making bunny hops possible with one button press namely L1
- On the topic of controls, redundant mobile-specific control menu entries were removed seeing how the port is based on the Android version
- Loading speeds have been improved thanks to Team CBPS developer Graphene
- Rain and classic shadows now render properly
- A crash on exit was fixed while thread scheduling was improved
You may grab the updated version of the Vita’s GTA San Andreas port by following the link below which can be installed by simply installing the VPK file if you already have GTA SA on your Vita. Otherwise, you may follow the installation instructions within the port’s README on GitHub which state that you have to supply data files for the game yourself.
GTA San Andreas for the Vita GitHub README (installation instruction and more information): https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/gtasa_vita/blob/master/README.md
GTA San Andreas for the Vita download link: https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/gtasa_vita/releases
Rinnegatamante’s Patreon (donations): https://www.patreon.com/Rinnegatamante
TheFloW’s Patreon (donations): https://www.patreon.com/TheOfficialFloW