PSVita: Grand Theft Auto III port receives sizeable update with PostFX support, fixed MP3 player and re-introduced HD texture support
Following the successful release of a Grand Theft Auto: Vice City port for the Vita, an updated version of its Grand Theft Auto III port has dropped. In this article, we’ll be looking at what this updated version packs in.
Version 1.3 of the Vita’s GTA III port released
Less than 24 hours after announcing that GTA: VC found its way on the Vita, Rinnegatamante tweeted that re3-vita (the Vita’s GTA III port) was updated to version 1.3. For those who are out of the loop, re3-vita is a port of re3 which is an open-source re-implementation of Grand Theft Auto III’s game engine that has allowed the homebrew community to natively bring some Grand Theft Auto games to the PSVita since Rockstar decided not to port over a GTA title to it. Shifting attention back to re3-vita 1.3, its change log states that the update contains the following:
- An implementation of PostFX shaders
- Two versions of these shaders are available namely ‘Normal’ and ‘Mobile’
- The MP3 player found within re3 was fixed and now works properly
- It is possible to use HD models again if you’re ready to take a minor (~3 FPS) performance hit
- The underlying code-base has been updated to the latest version of the re3 engine and vitaGL
- A few hours ago, Rinnegatamante released an updated version 1.3 VPK on VitaDB which fixes issues relating to the sniper rifle when PostFX effects are on
If you’re updating from version 1.0/1.1, you have to update the port’s data files (associated ZIP) and delete the “txd.dir” and “txd.img” files from the game’s data directory in ux0:/data/gta3.
You may grab re3-vita 1.3 and enjoy a somewhat better Grand Theft Auto III experience on your Vita by following the link below. For those installing the port the first time, it is worth stating that you must provide the data files from the PC version of GTA III yourself which can be bought off Steam, Rockstar’s website or other sources.
re3-vita 1.3 PSX-Place Release Thread (more information + installation instructions + download link): https://www.psx-place.com/threads/release-re3-vita-a-full-reverse-engineered-reimplementation-of-gta-iii.31588/
re3-vita 1.3 VitaDB Download Link: https://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/589
Rinnegatamante’s Patreon (donations): https://www.patreon.com/Rinnegatamante
TheFlow’s Patreon (donations): https://www.patreon.com/TheOfficialFloW