Switch: Firmware 11.0.0 released with the ability to copy screenshots/video from Switch via USB, QR code & NSO on the Home Menu and more – Atmosphere currently not working but SciresM already on it!
Christmas month has started with a bang for the Nintendo Switch as it has just received a pretty significant firmware update with version number 11.0.0. In this article, we’re going to look at this new firmware update together with SciresM’s efforts to update Atmosphere in order to support it ASAP!
Nintendo releases Firmware 11.0.0 and it comes with a lot of stuff!
Coming almost 8 months after the release of Firmware 10.0.0, which was the last firmware in which Nintendo brought along something new until today, Firmware 11.0.0 packs in quite a bit of punch with SciresM stating that it is “a really large update under the hood”.
This is strongly evident by the fact that Nintendo provided a pretty large change log this time around so without further ado, let’s get into it:
- It is now possible to copy videos and photos from the Album applet to a computer via USB
- While this could provide some attack surface for a software-based hacks, you should keep your hopes low because Nintendo has done a pretty good job with the Switch security-wise
- You can now copy photos and videos to your smartphone or tablet by scanning a QR code on the Switch
- Apparently, this creates a local WiFi network together with the Switch running a web server to serve files according to OatmealDome. This unconventional method of media sharing could perhaps serve as another attack surface but only time will tell.
- Nintendo Switch Online has been added to the HOME menu
- The User Page now includes a Trending feature allowing you to see what your friends are playing
- Backed up save data is now automatically downloaded from the Save Data Cloud – requires Nintendo Switch Online
- 12 new user icons, having to do with the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., have been added
- No word has been shared on whether they’ll only be available for a limited time 😉
- It is now possible to use your Switch in Brazilian Portuguese
- You can now name preset button mappings created with the native Change Button Mapping feature
- When having multiple downloads ongoing, you can choose which one you wish to give highest priority to
Atmosphere broken but SciresM working on fixing it ASAP
As mentioned above, Firmware 11.0.0 is a pretty significant update which means that Atmosphere does not work on the firmware. However, that probably won’t be the case for long as SciresM is already hard at work updating the CFW while also noting that a new sysmodule has been added with the name “capmtp” relating to the USB file transfer feature mentioned above.
If you are using SX OS, there have been reports that SX OS 3.0.5 beta is not compatible with Firmware 11.0.0 so it is imperative that you do not update especially if you’re using SX Core or Lite. It is unclear whether SX OS will be updated seeing how Team Xecuter (TX) and their resellers were recently hit with pretty hefty lawsuits seeing some team members getting arrested so only time will whether TX bit the dust or not!
You can read more about Firmware 11.0.0 by following the link the change log below and if you’re eagerly waiting for an Atmosphere update, SciresM’s Twitter is a worthy follow.
Nintendo’s Firmware 11.0.0 change log: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22525/~/nintendo-switch-system-updates-and-change-history
SciresM’s Twitter (follow for Atmosphere-related news): https://twitter.com/SciresM
More detailed change log at the SwitchBrew Wiki: https://switchbrew.org/wiki/11.0.0