PSVita News: Rinnegatamante & TheFlow’s GTA III port for the Vita now displaying some 3D graphics – Performance hovering around the 20FPS mark!
Sometimes, in the PlayStation Vita scene, progress is done quite rapidly and this also holds true when it comes to the console’s upcoming GTA III port. In this article, we’re going to look at the Vita’s upcoming GTA III port being able to display 3D graphics and run at a playable frame rate which is a big step over its state on Tuesday when we last reported on it!
The PSVita’s upcoming Grand Theft Auto III port by Rinnegatamante & TheFlow
For those who have been out of the loop, this week Rinnegatamante has revealed that he’s working on a Grand Theft Auto III port for the PlayStation Vita with assistance from TheFlow. Thanks to this port, which has seen great interest from Vita scene members, one will finally be able to play a Grand Theft Auto title natively on the console as the only way to play 3D GTA games on the console up till now is by playing the PSP’s GTA LCS & VCS titles which have received various enhancements including dual analogue stick and native resolution patches.
Up till Tuesday, the game port was able to load into the main menu, display 2D graphics and allow the player to start a new game. However, 3D elements were not rendering leading to a black screen with only HUD elements & subtitles showing when playing the game but that has now changed thanks to recent progress done by Rinnegatamante!
Latest progress being made on the port
Throughout yesterday and today, Rinnegatamante has been live streaming himself developing the GTA III port for the Vita and thanks to this, the following progress can be seen:
- 3D graphics are now being rendered and until yesterday, there were some significant glitches when it came to texture rendering but the game was still intact
- Yesterday’s Twitch Live Stream may be accessed by following this link
- Performance-wise, the game is hovering around the 20FPS mark which seems to be quite playable
- The game runs at around 25 or 30FPS on the PlayStation 2 depending on whether a PAL or NTSC system is used (respectively) which is not too far off from the current performance of the Vita’s port.
- Judging from more recent live streams, the game seems to be rendering much better which shows pretty promising progress
- You may check this out by viewing parts of a live stream published a few hours ago
To learn more about the latest developments in porting GTA III to the Vita, you may follow Rinnegatamante’s Twitter or follow his Twitch live streams by follow the links below. No ETA has been given up till now so asking for one is futile but if progress keeps on going at this rate, we may see a release in the foreseeable future!
Rinnegatamante’s Twitter (updates): https://twitter.com/Rinnegatamante
Rinnegatamante’s Twitch (live streams): https://www.twitch.tv/rinnegatamante
Rinnegatamante’s Patreon (donations): https://www.patreon.com/Rinnegatamante
TheFlow’s Patreon (donations): https://www.patreon.com/TheOfficialFloW