Vita & Switch Releases: GePatch 0.1.5 released with over 130 PSP games playable @ Vita’s native resolution & Atmosphere 0.14.3 released with FW 10.2.0 support!
Last week, TheFlow granted a pretty popular wish in the PSVita community which is allowing some PSP titles to run at native resolution on the console. Now, the plugin that achieved this (GePatch) has been updated to version 0.1.5 with 130+ games being playable! In this article, we’ll also be looking at the release of Atmosphere 0.14.3 which comes with support for Switch FW 10.2.0 released yesterday.
GePatch 0.1.5 released with over 130 playable PSP games!
If you’ve been a bit out of the loop, GePatch is a plugin by TheFlow that allows some PSP games to run at native resolution on the PSVita (960×544). This plugin, which works in tandem with Adrenaline, manages to do this by patching display lists and vertices of the PSP’s graphics engine found within the Vita & PSTV meaning that games are still running on PSP hardware resulting in not all games providing playable performance. However, over 130 games are currently playable as per user testing and TheFlow has updated GePatch quite a bit over the last few days with yesterday’s version 0.1.5 update bringing along:
- Support for indexed draws
- Some commands have been fixed and their stopping criteria changed
- A DFS (Depth First Search) algorithm is now used to traverse the display list (list of graphical commands that generate output on screen)
- Now works in XMB (in compatibility spreadsheet below)
- As per the compatibility spreadsheet, over 130 PSP games can now run @ 960×544 on the Vita while still being playable. These titles include
- Loco Roco
- Patapon 1/2/3
- LEGO Indiana Jones 2
- Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness and many others
Atmosphere 0.14.3 released with support for FW 10.2.0
Every now and then, Nintendo decides to update the Switch’s firmware with updates that effectively bring nothing to the end user. Yesterday (or today depending on where you live), Nintendo dropped yet another one of these updates labelled as Firmware 10.2.0 which comes with a unsurprising single-liner changelog reading “General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience”. While such minor updates often don’t break CFW, this update managed to do so as it updated the filesystem (FS) but SciresM immediately came to the rescue by releasing Atmosphere 0.14.3 which comes with:
- Support for Switch Firmware 10.2.0
- In order to add support, the most important thing was to find the new emummc/nogc offsets
- It is important to state that sigpatches are currently unavailable
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience. – A jab at Nintendo
You may grab Atmosphere 0.14.3 by following this link to its GitHub Release Page. Fusee-primary was not updated.
When it comes to other stuff that’s making the rounds, the upcoming Super Mario 3D All Stars compilation has been revealed to use emulation in order to run the games within. Apparently, leaked copies revealed that Super Mario 64 uses a Vulkan-based Nintendo 64 emulator, Super Mario Sunshine uses a Vulkan-based GameCube emulator while Super Mario Galaxy uses a hybrid approach where the CPU code was recompiled to run natively on the Switch while the GPU/Audio run within a Wii emulator. The Citra Team have published a status update for the Android port of their 3DS emulator which brings save states among other things!