Switch CFW Releases: Atmosphère 0.13.0 with re-implemented exopshere and groundwork for mariko support & SX OS 3.0.2 Beta with many important fixes
Yesterday was finally June 15th again and to celebrate it, SciresM released Atmosphère 0.13.0 with a re-written exosphère together with groundwork for mariko support. Other than Atmosphère being updated, SX OS 3.0.2 was also released which we’ll also be looking at in this article.
Atmosphère 0.13.0 released with re-written exosphere, groundwork for mariko support and more
Atmosphère is a free and open-source CFW for Nintendo Switch consoles which is widely used thanks to it being quick to support new firmwares, being compatible with the almost all homebrew/sysmodules, having useful features such emuMMC, being quite robust and more. However, the team behind this CFW is also interested in constantly improving behind-the-scenes code other than just adding new features with Atmosphère 0.13.0 mostly doing just that.
As per its changelog, this June 15th release comes with:
- A rewrite to exosphère which is a Secure Monitor re-implementation
- This was the first of Atmosphère’s components and its rewrite has been in the works for quite a while
- It now takes 3.5KB less memory (where only 64KB is available, this is significant) and uses a more maintainable code base with C++20 as the programming language
- Within exosphère, initial work towards mariko support has been performed with full support for mariko consoles (Switch v2 + Lite) being planned for this summer
- The API having to do with target firmware was changed with all minor (x.y.0) and micro (x.y.z) being recognised rather than only looking at the major version
- This is a breaking change as sysmodules using atmosphere-libs need to be updated if they need to query the FW they’re running on.
- This change was needed to support FW 5.1.0 and potential new FWs in the future
- emuMMC now employs a faster SDMMC driver with the file-based variant being almost on-par with partition-based variant performance-wise
You may check out Atmosphère 0.13.0’s official change log by following this link to its GitHub Release Page from which it can also be download.
SX OS 3.0.2 Beta released with many important fixes
Shifting focus over to another CFW which isn’t open-source nor completely free, SX OS has been updated amidst the shipping of retail SX Lite units which was scheduled for today.
Currently, SX OS is the only CFW that’s capable of running on mariko Switch consoles and the Switch Lite as the team behind this CFW was also the one that hacked these previously unhackable Switch models so if you plan on hacking your Lite/Switch v2 device now, you’ll be running this CFW for a while.
SX OS 3.0.2 Beta, which is a mostly a minor update over SX 3.0.0, fixes a whole slew of bugs issues:
- The 2162-0002 error which crashed games that’s been around since SX OS 2.9.5 despite SX OS 3.0.0 attempting to fix it
- An issue in which save data wasn’t saved correctly has been fixed with affected titles like “Castle Crashers” working fine now
- The ‘GPT Repair’ feature has been reworked and it should now allow those who have soldered a larger NAND chip in their console to use SX OS
- Widely-used sysmodules such as Tesla Overlay and sys-clk overlay are functional again
- It’s now possible to reboot to any payload on older Switch (Erista) consoles again
- emuNAND on eMMC has been fixed together with other fixes
In other scenes relating to Nintendo, mGBA 0.8.2, a multi-platform GBA emulator, was released with a whole slew of fixes and emulation improvements while the 3DS got TwiLight Menu++ 15.2.0. This update to TwiLight Menu++ allows the original R4 to autoboot into it and allows one to change the GUI’s framerate among other things.