PS4 & 3DS News: PPSSPP core coming to RetroArch for the PS4 with GTA Vice City Stories running well & 3DSync 0.2.0 together with TWiLight Menu++ 15.1.1 released for the 3DS!
While the PlayStation 4’s homebrew scene is not as active as others, OsirisX has been bringing over various emulators to the console via RetroArch and now, a PPSSPP core is in the works! In this article, we’ll also be looking at some 3DS releases namely 3DSync 0.2.0 & TwiLight Menu++ 15.1.1 which packs in a surprise!
PPSSPP core coming to the PlayStation 4
If you’ve been following the PlayStation 4 scene, then you’re probably aware of OsirisX’s unofficial RetroArch port to the console which is now at release 3.
This release, which has been around since February, is based upon RetroArch 1.8.4 and packs in over 40 cores including ones for the Genesis, Nintendo 64, SNES, GBA and various others. Now, things seem to be back in motion again as OsirisX has stated on GBATemp that the port is still being worked upon and is currently converting it to OOSDK before issuing a new release.
Other than this, OsirisX also promised that a PPSSPP core will be coming with next unofficial release of RetroArch for the console thus bringing the PlayStation 4 a high degree of compatibility with PSP titles as PPSSPP is the emulator to go to for PSP emulation. A video was also shared (below) demonstrating GTA Vice City Stories running on a hacked PlayStation 4 which shows it being rendered well and according to OsirisX, the game runs nicely as well since the choppiness in the video was introduced by the video recorder.
3DS Releases: 3DSync 0.2.0 & TWiLight Menu++ 15.1.1
The Nintendo 3DS was in the spotlight recently as an official Citra port for Android was released but despite the console being emulatable on smartphones, somewhat frequent homebrew updates are still being released! The first homebrew update we’ll be looking at is 3DSync 0.2.0 which is a homebrew utility allowing you to upload save data to Dropbox thus allowing you to keep it in a safe place and transfer it to other 3DS consoles more easily.
The update in question, released just a few days ago brings along:
- Support for JKSM which is a save manager for the 3DS
- Originally, 3DSync only supported Checkpoint
- Custom upload paths are now supported and can be set using the configuration webpage
On the other hand, TWiLight Menu++ 15.1.1 has also been released which packs in:
- A special version of nds-boostrap which allows one to play 2 DSiWare games as a showcase of nds-bootstrap’s upcoming DSiWare support!
- The games supported are Pop Island & Pop Island: Paperfield
- It’s also possible to run these titles on the original DS, DS Lite, 2DS and 3DS with widescreen mode being supported on the latter two
- An issue was fixed in which the DS Classic Menu crashed on white screens when using it on a DSi with Unlaunch
- A bug was fixed in which the time wouldn’t change on the 3DS
Other than these releases, the 3DS also received Savvy Manager 3.0 which adds support for Japanese, European and Australian Girls Mode/Style Boutique games together with many other new features. On the iOS Jailbreaking front, unc0ver 5.0.0 has been released with support for iOS 13.5 (latest version) on ALL devices including A12/A13 ones!