PlayStation 3: bguerville releases PlayStation 3 Toolset – A PS3 Exploitation Framework leveraging a brand new exploit!
Released in 2006, the PlayStation 3 is approaching its 14th birthday but its age doesn’t stop talented folks from releasing new exploits, tools and homebrew for it! In this article, we’ll be looking at PlayStation 3 Toolset which is a new exploitation framework that also provides some tools useful for non-developers.
What is PlayStation 3 Toolset?
According its developer, the scene veteran and PS3Xploit team member bguerville, PlayStation 3 Toolset (or PS3 Toolset) is “a new PS3 exploitation work” which evolved from development surrounding a new version of PS3Xploit’s tools.
These tools, which are currently at version 2.0.2 with some HAN v3 tools also available, include:
- The NAND and NOR Flashers used to hack CFW-compatible consoles (minimum firmware of 3.56 or less)
- Others including an IDPS dumper and a NAND/NOR dumper
Shifting focus back to PS3 Toolset, bguerville is leveraging a brand new exploit to make stuff work in the toolset which contains various useful tools to both non-developers and developers which are described in the section below. However, before discussing the tools present in PS3 Toolset – we’ll look a bit at its backstory which can be summed up as follows: When PS3Xploit team member habib continued researching into PS3HEN (a hacking solution for noCFW PS3s) with help from esc0rtd3w, bguerville decided to instead focus on his own research and tool/exploit creation which led to him eventually branching off his PS3Xploit tools’ into PS3 Toolset which provides a framework for creating flexible and powerful tools.
What tools are available in PS3 Toolset? How do I use it?
Other than coming with a pretty nice user-interface and lots of punch underneath, PlayStation 3 Toolset comes with a couple of tools that can be used on PlayStation 3 FW 4.82-4.85 on both noCFW and CFW-capable consoles albeit the former aren’t able to use all features.
These tools, which saw testing by esc0rtd3w who is another well-known PS3 scene developer, include:
- A Memory Editing Tool
- This tool is primarily aimed towards developers as it allows you to view and edit memory contents of loaded sprx module segments, 2 VSH segments and the browser memory container
- A Flash Memory Manager Tool
- This includes both flashing and dumping functionality with the former only being available on CFW-capable consoles
- It is recommended to verify dumps with PyPS3Checker to make sure they’re valid
- This tool also displays some useful information including:
- Firmware Version, VSH Mode, Kernel Mode and information regarding Custom Syscalls
- Whether your system is a NOR/NAND/eMMC machine
- Your IDPS
- The factory installed firmware (minver)
- Displays whether your console is CFW compatible
- ROS 0/1 Hash Checks
- A Logging Tool
- This is used to figure out what’s wrong if any of the tools aren’t working as expected
Follow the links below to use PlayStation 3 Toolset and learn more about it!
PlayStation 3 Toolset Website: https://www.ps3xploit.net/bgtoolset/
Source for this article & much more in-depth information: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/introducing-the-ps3-toolset-by-bguerville-a-powerful-collection-of-tools-fueled-by-new-ps3-exploit.28658/