PS4 & Vita News: RetroArch for PS4 updated to version 1.8.4, has multi controller support, added cores and more & Catherine: Full Body for the PSVita receives an English patch thanks to froid_san!
Nowadays, emulation on hacked consoles like the Vita/Switch has become very popular and the PlayStation 4 finally received a RetroArch port late last year. Now, the third release is out and on the PSVita front, Catherine: Fully Body has received an English translation which will surely bring a smile to many people’s faces!
PS4 Release: RetroArch r3 is out – Now based on RA 1.8.4, has online core updater support, lets you use multiple controllers, comes with 7 new cores and more!
RetroArch is an emulator and game-engine front end that’s seen widespread adoption in the emulation community thanks to it being actively supported, constantly receiving new features, such as ANGLE for OpenGL ES support on the XBOX One, and supporting a wide variety of platforms including hacked consoles like the Vita, Switch, PS3 and 3DS among others.
In late December, OsirisX released an unofficial port for the PlayStation 4 based on RA 1.8.1 and now, the third version of this port is out which comes with a sizeable changelog.
The things that RetroArch for the PS4 r3 brings along include:
- The base has been updated to RetroArch version 1.8.4 thus moving 3 versions forward
- Support for online core updating has been added
- It’s now possible to use up to 4 controllers simultaneously which will allow for couch co-op
- You can now keyboards and mice with cores that support them which presumably include ScummVM and DOSbox
- 7 new cores have been added and these are:
- Flycast, an emerging Dreamcast emulator
- Beetle PSX – there’s no hardware acceleration in this core yet since the PS4’s homebrew libraries don’t support all the OpenGL ES requirements that its HW renderer needs
- ScummVM for playing certain DOS-era point and click games like ‘The Secret Of Monkey Island’
- Virtual Jaguar, an Atari Jaguar emulator
- Stella 2014 – An Atari 2600 emulator
- Vecx – A Vectrex emulator
- SameBoy – An original GameBoy and GameBoy Colour emulator
Other than new features, the installation process has been changed a bit as you need to install a separate ‘Core Installer’ PKG and run it to get the cores themselves. You may also download cores through the Core Updater in RetroArch itself.
To learn more and grab RetroArch for the PlayStation 4, follow this link to its GBATemp thread.
PSVita Release: Catherine: Full Body gets an English patch thanks to froid_san
Due to the fact that the PSVita did poorly in the West, Atlus decided to forego releasing an English version of Catherine: Full Body for the console despite having released a version for Western audiences on the PS4 in September. Obviously, this left many Catherine fans disappointed but now, froid_san has come to the rescue by releasing an English translation which took quite a bit more work than some of his other translation patches!
The post on froid_san’s website describing the patch tells us that unlike other English patches, which usually have textual assets ripped from Switch/PC ports, there was no source from where textual assets could’ve been ripped from for Catherine: Full Body.
As a result, froid_san had to resort to seeing multiple YouTube videos and playing the game on his PlayStation 4 in order to get the English text needed to create the patch which resulted in a pretty laborious process in order to make the game mostly playable for Western gamers.
As of right now, the following stuff is translated:
- Text-containing images used in menus
- Regular menu/nvaigation text
- All confessional questions
- Almost all cut-scenes and FMVs
- 90% of cellphone messages
- 80% of NPC dialogue in the Longue and Landings
- 70% of quotes on the loading screen
- Apparently, the patch also comes with a 960×544 resolution patch for better visuals
When it comes to stuff that’s not translated, it mostly has to do with random dialogue with some NPCs, most of the multiplayer mode and arrow labels. Furthermore, there are a few known bugs like typos and text cutting in some places although it should be nothing major.
You may grab the Catherine: Full Body English translation from Froid_san’s website and follow the tutorial. It’s important to state that applying the patch takes a while as you need to patch your OWN game files.
Other than these pretty significant releases, the PlayStation Vita also received an update to a comprehensive RetroArch theme by Reddit user ‘icaneverknewtherules‘ which has seen considerable interest. Moving over to other scenes, TwiLight Menu++ 12.0.0 & nds-bootstrap 0.29.0 have been released for the 3DS and an unofficial BleemSync 1.3 BETA is out for the PlayStation Classic.