Switch News: Team Xecuter shows SX OS 3.0 running on Switch Lite giving concrete proof to their claims!
Apparently, Christmas coming a tad late has become a bit of a trend this year since we just saw the release of RetroArch for the PlayStation 4 and now, Team Xecuter have just demonstrated SX OS 3.0 running on a Switch Lite thus giving legitimacy to their hacking solution claims!
Team Xecuter publishes video showing the SX OS CFW run on a Switch Lite
For those out of the loop, not all Switch consoles are hackable with the only hackable ones being those manufactured before June 2018 which are vulnerable to Kate Temkin’s fusee-gelee exploit which leverages BootROM exploits patched in later units including Neon Switch consoles (mariko) and the Switch Lite.
About 2 months ago, GaryOPA posted on GBATemp and MaxConsole that Team Xecuter were able to come up with a hacking solution for the aforementioned unhackable units with some more information following in November. This information stated Team Xecuter’s solution was a hardware mod and that it required soldering for the best results although a solderless option might be available for non-Lite units.
While this made the community excited, no tangible pictorial/video proof was given so obviously, the news had to be treated with caution despite things pointing in the direction of it being truthful. Now, proof has finally landed in the form of a video by Team Xecuter demonstrating the upcoming SX OS 3.0.0 CFW running on the Switch Lite. Furthermore, the video also shows SX OS’ Menu running by overriding the Gallery application.
When will this be available? Should I go buy a Switch right now?
According to the extremely brief blog post that accompanied the video above, Team Xecuter’s hack will be available in early 2020 with sometime next month being floated as a possible availability date by one retailer. That being said, there’s been no official confirmation on the date and previous reports stated the hacking solution for ipatched/mariko (Classic unit for full-sized Switch consoles) will be available before the hacking solution for the Switch Lite so users of the smaller Switch might have to wait a bit before hacking it. When it comes to pricing, there’s currently no official word on how much it’ll cost but it’s been said by a retailer that it’ll be priced reasonably.
If you’re pondering as to whether you should get a Switch or not, the following points might be worth considering:
- After the hardware mods are released, it’s possible that Nintendo will release some new hardware revisions for mariko and Switch Lite units that make Team Xecuter’s hacking solution unusable
- It’s noteworthy to state that the Switch is almost 3 years old so if this is the case, it probably still won’t be difficult to find units produced before early 2020 which is the most plausible release date
- Right now, prices for fusee-gelee vulnerable Switch units are soaring especially on online market places although when Team Xecuter releases their hacking solution, their value might decrease so if you’re thinking about buying/selling a non-patched console, you might want to think twice
- Currently, there’s no news about whether Team Xecuter’s hack will only support SX OS or whether it’ll allow you to run other CFWs like Atmosphere.
- As a result, it may be a good idea to perhaps wait a bit before buying their hacking solution when it becomes available to see what it offers and if any alternatives become available.
For those who are going to buy a Switch following this news, it’s important to note that the hack is also said to be compatible with full Switch units (mariko/ipatched) so you’re not forced to buy a Switch Lite. It may be a good idea to compare the full Switch and Switch Lite units between themselves since the latter is cheaper but lacks some important features of the former such as being able to play games on your TV.