News: No$GBA 3.0 released with DSi emulation fixes and ability to load/disassemble 3DS FIRM files & AnalogsEnhancer 1.1, reScreeny and 0syscall6 plugins released for the PSVita!
From time to time, older emulators get updates which fix bugs while bringing minor features but No$GBA 3.0 broke the norm as it’s mostly focused on efforts relating to 3DS Reverse-Engineering. In this article, we’ll also be looking at MAME 0.216 and 3 recently released PSVita plugins namely AnalogsEnhancer 1.1, reScreeny and 0syscall6.
Emulation News: No$GBA 3.0
No$GBA is a GBA, DS and DSi emulator by Martin Korth which has been around since 2001. Over the years, the emulator saw numerous updates and before DesMuMe matured, it was the emulator of choice for many who wanted to emulate the Nintendo DS.
While its popularity nowadays has declined a bit, it’s still used for certain games and it’s the best-working DSi emulator currently available with Reverse-Engineering efforts still ongoing.
Now, No$GBA 3.0 has been released which is more of a developer-oriented release but also brings some improvements to the DSi emulation functionality. The update includes:
- DSi emulation received some low-level tweaks such as an 8MHz SPI bus clock and some things related to MMIO
- When setting up controls, you are now able to assign DEL/BS keys and the disassembler supports a new opcode
- Many more components of the Nintendo 3DS (both old and new) have been reverse-engineered
- Thanks to this, more documentation about the 3DS is available when it comes to emulating it which may led to better 3DS emulators down the line
- You can load and disassemble 3DS FIRM and MCU files but it must be noted that no 3DS hardware is being emulated right now although this might change some day!
PSVita Plugin Releases: AnalogsEnhancer 1.1, reScreeny & 0syscall6
Moving over to the PSVita scene, the hottest release trend seems to be plugins as we have even more plugin releases with 2 new entries and an update.
Starting off with the updated plugin, we have Rinnegatamante‘s (Patreon) AnalogsEnhancer 1.1, a plugin to fine-tune the PSVita’s analogue sticks, and this brings along the ability to disable the ANALOG_WIDE patch included in the plugin which was previously always enabled – Configuration details have also been updated and may be accessed from here.
Switching over to releases, we then have:
- reScreeny, a plugin by Team CBPS member dots_tb which makes screenshots much easier to access via FTP/USB since it saves them in directories that make sense
- Rather than being stored in ux0:/photo/SCREENSHOT/[two random letters], screenshots are now stored in ux0:/photo/SCREENSHOT/[Game Name]
- It supports Unicode (i.e. non-Lating alphabets) and has adequate error handling when names are too long or have illegal characters
- The plugin works with pngshot (higher quality screenshots in PNG format) and Adrenaline (screenshots from it will be placed in ux0:/photo/PspEmu)
- You may read more about it by following this link to its Team CBPS Forum Post and download from its GitHub Release Page.
- 0syscall6, a plugin by SKGleba, which patches lv0’s syscall 6
- This plugin, which is essentially an alternative to reF00D, lets you play games that require a higher firmware than you’re on (FW 3.69 games on FW 3.60 for example) and run revoked applications like the PSM dev app while also removing some other basic SELF checks.
- You may read more about it from its GitHub README, join the discussion on its Reddit Thread and download it from its GitHub Release page.
Other than these releases, MAME 0.216 and the Pokemon Sacred Sword & King’s Shield Mod has been released for the Nintendo Switch for Pokemon Sword & Shield. As part of their Black Friday deals, Steam is selling the somewhat non-traditional Steam Controller for 90% off (€5.50 in Europe, link not sponsored) possibly in a bid to clear stock but do note that you still need to pay for shipping which may cost more than the controller itself!