iOS Jailbreaking: Checkra1n, an iOS 13.x jailbreak using the checkm8 BootROM exploit, to be released on November 7/8 – Permanent liberation is in sight after many encouraging developments!
For the last few iOS releases, jailbreaks were always released a few months after the version(s) they support were made public with the exception of iOS 12.4 due to a blunder from Apple. However, things are just about to change as checkra1n, a jailbreak for iOS 13, will be coming next week!
What’s checkra1n? Does it come with Cydia and support tweaks?
According to numerous tweets, various jailbreak community veterans including xerub, siguza and ih8snow worked on making checkra1n with Luca Todesco (@qwertyoruiopz) leading the whole effort meaning that the jailbreak will doubtlessly be of very high quality.
Over the last few weeks, there have been numerous reports of progress being made with the jailbreak and in terms of features, these can be summed up as:
- The jailbreak has been demonstrated running on iOS 13.1.2, 13.1.3 and even 13.2
- Presumably, the jailbreak will also support future versions of iOS 13 and maybe even other versions of iOS as it uses an unpatchable bug found in the boot code which is flashed at the factory and read-only
- When you install checkra1n, an application for managing it is added to your home screen and this presumably lets you install the package manager of your choice
- From what’s currently known, the package managers provided include Cydia, Zebra (an package manager that takes many cues from Cydia) and Installer 5
- Code injection which means tweak support – It’s highly likely that Substrate will be used rather than Substitute
- It’s said that checkra1n will disable KPP/KTRR which might result in a performance increase, ability to dual-boot other versions of iOS (SEP might or might not be an issue – it’s unclear at this point) and perhaps even slightly better battery life
When will checkra1n be released? Which devices are supported?
According to a tweet by Power Of Community (POC), Luca Todesco plans to release checkra1n on November 7/8 during the POC2019 event at which he’ll give a talk. This tweet has been retweeted by both axi0mX and Luca himself essentially meaning that its veracity has been confirmed.
Currently, it’s assumed that the checkra1n jailbreak will run on all devices that support both checkm8 (A7 – A11) and iOS 13 (A8+2GB RAM – A11) which include:
- The iPhone 6S to the iPhone X (included)
- All iPad, iPad Pro and iPad Air models excluding:
- 2018 iPad Pro models
- iPad Mini 5
- iPad Air 3 (2019)
- The iPod Touch 7th generation – yeah, iPod Touches still exist and the jailbreak has been demonstrated running on one of them
- nitoTV’s creator seems to be working on an Apple TV variant of checkra1n but it’s unknown whether that’ll be released next week
It’s important to note that nothing has been released as of yet so the only thing that you can do is wait patiently. If you’re extremely eager to update to iOS 13 and then jailbreak, it’s probably recommended to hold off for a short while since it’s unclear whether the jailbreak will be fully tethered (if your device reboots, you’ll need a PC to boot it up again) or semi-tethered (if it reboots on its own, it boots into a non-jailbroken version of iOS that works properly)!
Checkra1n Website: https://checkra1n.com/
Checkra1n Twitter: https://twitter.com/checkra1n