PS3 & PSVita News: PS3HEN 3.0.0 released with fixes for freezing issues and incompatible models; Final h-encore 1.92 is out with support for PSVita FW 3.73!
Following the recent uptick in releases for hacked consoles, the PlayStation 3 and Vita just received updates to two significant pieces of software related to the process of hacking them. In this article, we’ll look at PS3HEN 3.0.0 and Final H-Encore 1.92 which are both popular software in their respective hacking community!
PS3 News: PS3HEN 3.0.0 released with fixes for freezing and issues with incompatible models + removal of FW 4.82 support
If you haven’t been following PS3 news for the last few months, PS3HEN is hack for nonCFW PlayStation 3 consoles which include all the Super Slim models and Slim models whose minimum firmware version is 3.60 or greater.
This hack, which was released in April, allows these consoles to get some CFW capabilities such as the ability to run homebrew, use backup managers and more which has prompted many people to hack their PS3 in order to get a piece of the action.
Thanks to the work of various individuals, especially Jason Borowski (@esc0rtd3w), PS3HEN is still seeing updates to this day in order to iron out all issues that may arise while using it and now, version 3.0.0 has been released. Version 3.0.0, which succeeds version 2.4.0, comes with some major fixes and its change log includes:
- Fixes for freezing issues on all PS3 models thanks to work by habib
- Both freezing issues in the payload itself and the HEN plugin were fixed including a freeze that occurred when you had a DVD/CD in your PS3’s optical drive and enabled HEN.
- Issues with some PS3 models being incompatible were fixed
- Sanity checks in the payload were improved
- An error message is now shown if the reply from the HEN server is too short
- Support for FW 4.82 has been dropped as maintaining support was too much work for the main branch
- This means that only HFW 4.84 and 4.85 are supported by PS3HEN
To get PS3HEN 3.0.0 on your console, you can simply you use the HEN Updater on your console. If you don’t have PS3HEN installed, follow this link for installation instructions.
PSVita News: Final h-encore 1.92 released with FW 3.73 support
A few days ago, Sony took us by surprise again and decided to release FW 3.73 for the PlayStation Vita. According to reports online, this firmware update only modified two text messages related to PlayStation parties and didn’t patch out h-encore² meaning that this firmware was hackable upon release. However, even small firmware updates manage to disrupt a thing or two and one of the things that FW 3.73 disrupted was Final h-encore which is a tool allowing for easy installation of h-encore/h-encore².
Now, Final h-encore 1.92 has been released and it comes with one major change namely:
- Support for FW 3.73 thanks to an updated version of h-encore²
- Data files from Final H-Encore 1.91 should be used as nothing else changed with this update
To grab Final h-encore 1.92 and easily liberate your FW 3.73 PSVita or PSTV, follow this link. After liberating your console, it’s generally recommended to downgrade to FW 3.60/3.65 with Modoru in order to get an untethered hack with HENkaku Enso!
On a concluding note, DooM Vita 1.0.1 has been released which is a DOOM-like shooter made with Unity by Gambikules – it can be downloaded via VHBB since it’s on VitaDB. On the other side of the pond over at the Switch’s homebrew scene, some noteworthy developments relating to the Android port were made and Switch Media Host 2.0.0 got released which can be useful if you want to access your Switch’s filesystem over a LAN.