A look at current PlayStation Classic hacking options – It’s pretty tempting to buy one at a price as low as $25 brand new just for hacking it!

Aurora

1. bandithedoge says:

does RetroArch run any better on this than, say, a Raspberry Pi 3B+? it’s slightly more expensive but i’ve heard that performance on the PS1 Classic is often below decent (even in the built-in PS1 emu).

2. migo says:

I would rather pour those 25 on a MicroSD card..people that would buy the PS mini for hacking , would already have another hacked device.anyways.

3. DSpider says:

Add another $25 and get yourself a used PS3. You get access to PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP, plus access to NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, N64, etc.

• bandithedoge says:

you’re literally doubling the price. PS Classic is meant to be very cheap and at $25 i honestly don’t think it’s a bad deal.

• catmato says:

Where can you get a PS2-compatible PS3 for $50?

• R0ME0 says:

Technically they’re all compatible. The non phat versions use an emulator though with so-so compatibility. Some games run fine, like Monster Hunter, and some games run terrible like Shadow of the Colossus.

• mixedfish says:

If you’re going to argue ‘used’ then you can say get a used PS1 mini and again be cheaper. PS3 also uses a lot of power for such a simple task like retro gaming.

4. Mario.bang.bros says:

5. Demian says:

Would like to see at some point BleemSync/Autobleem support for CDZ format.

CDZ format is used by pSX emulator (my preferred emulator actually), and compresses BIN/CUE PSX’s game disk image files to save space. I used it to compress my PSX game RIP’s so to save a lot of disk space on my hard drive.

Sadly, pSX emulator hasn’t been updated really long ago, and its source code isn’t publicly available.

6. temp_anon says:

I’m thinking of getting one, but I already have a PS TV. How much better does it handle emulators compared to Vita’s marginal offerings?

7. Ziim says:

Its not $25 at Bestbuy anymore. Link shows me $59

8. Dubby says:

Just picked one up for $16 at Target, price matched Best Buy than used the target cartwheel for an additional 35% off. They’ll tell you the system doesn’t allow it, but dare ’em to try. ;p

9. Mike says:

Which system does better emulation the SNES classic or the Playstation classic?