Switch News: Atmosphère 0.9.1 released with firmware 8.1.0 support and emuMMC fixes
Progress with porting Atmosphère to a new firmware is usually done quite fast but this was done in only 3 days! In a little over 12 hours after SciresM posted a tweet demonstrating Atmosphère running on Switch FW 8.1.0, Atmosphère 0.9.1 was released with support for this firmware!
What is Atmosphère?
Atmosphère is a custom firmware (CFW) for fusee-gelee vulnerable Nintendo Switch consoles, a full list of which can be accessed here. This custom firmware, which is one of the most popular Switch CFWs together with ReiNX/SX OS, is developed by SciresM, TuxSH, hexkyz, and fincs with contributions from other developers such as m4xw thanks to its open-source nature.
With Atmosphère, you can make your Nintendo Switch much more useful as it has the following features:
- It lets you run homebrew software such as emulators, ported games, a better video player and numerous game-engines
- Some noteworthy homebrew includes In-Home-Switching (a PC screen streaming solution similar to Moonlight that doesn’t require an Nvidia graphics card), various RetroArch cores (emulators) which include a fully working Nintendo 64 core with JIT and OpenTyrian.
- A larger list of Switch homebrew can be found here
- The ability to install custom modules (similar to plugins in the PSP/PSVita world) like sys-clk which allows for overclocking
- emuMMC which lets you have another instance of Horizon OS installed on your SD Card significantly reducing the chance of getting banned by Nintendo if used properly
- Custom theme installation, the ability to take control over your saves with Checkpoint (not part of Atmosphere but it’s installable homebrew) and many more features
What does Atmosphère 0.9.1 bring along?
Contrary to what was written in Atmosphère 0.9.0’s changelog, Atmosphère 0.9.1 isn’t the definitive bug fix release for emuMMC although it does contain some bug fixes relating to that. This happened because Switch FW 8.1.0 was released out of the blue which took precedence over the emuMMC feature.
Without further ado, let’s look at the changelog which includes:
- Support for Switch FW 8.1.0 which was released on Sunday
- It is important to note that sigpatches for FW 8.0.0 aren’t compatible with this FW but unverified FW 8.1.0 ones already seem to have been released on GBATemp.
- Some bugs relating to emuMMC have been fixed although it is still considered experimental
- Other minor tweaks and fixes which can be accessed in the commit history
Obviously, you have to use Atmosphère 0.9.1 if you have a good reason for installing Switch FW 8.1.0 on your sysNAND partition but if you’re on an older firmware and don’t want to use emuMMC right now, you’ll probably be fine waiting until the definitive bug fix release for emuMMC which will probably be Atmosphère 0.9.2.
To grab Atmosphère 0.9.1, check out the link below and it’s important to note that the download was re-uploaded a few hours ago to fix a bug relating to blackscreens on boot due to a small logic error relating to the emuMMC feature (that also affects non-emuMMC consoles). Without a doubt, the Switch scene is going through some pretty interesting times and if you want to read more, make sure to check out this article on recent progress regarding the Android port.
Atmosphère 0.9.1 download link + changelog: https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/