PS3HEN Version 2 Released – ISO support, Kernel Plugin Support, Many Fixes and More!
While the PlayStation 3 has been around for over a decade, the most modern models (Late Slim and SuperSlim) only got the ability to run homebrew a short while ago with PS3HEN. Now, that’s been updated to version 2.0 in order to bring ISO support, kernel plugins and more!
What is PS3HEN?
PS3HEN, by an anonymous developer with significant update contributions from esc0rtd3w, is a hack that allows you to run homebrew and some CFW features on all PS3 models including the so-called noCFW models which are consoles whose minimum FW is 3.60 or above. It runs on HFW 4.84.2 which is a modified version of the official FW 4.84 firmware from Sony so this means that it could be installed on all PS3 systems even if they’re running the latest FW.
Among PS3HEN’s features, we find:
- The ability to run homebrew
- You can learn more about PS3 homebrew by checking out this article!
- Support for boot plugins and now, kernel plugins
- Support for PSXISO, BDISO and BD/DVD region patches
- Many features that are available on CFWs such as a retail PKG installer and Remote Play with PC among others
What does PS3HEN Version 2.0 bring along?
PS3HEN 2.0 brings about a couple of important features including:
- ISO support so you can run your own dumped games
- Kernel plugins can now be used
- Some issues were fixed to significantly reduce the occurrence of blackscreen crashes and random recovery kicks
- PS3HENTAI package is no longer required
- The filename for user plugins changed from “boot_plugins_nocobra.txt” to “boot_plugins.txt”
- PS3MAPI now allows for reading/setting process memory with WebMan
- Some other minor features that can be seen in the full changelog found below
As indicated by the list above, PS3HEN 2.0 is a pretty substantial update so it is highly recommended you update if you’re using an older version. Updating is quite straightforward and doesn’t require you to do any extra steps except updating PS3HEN.bin and stackframe.bin.
On a concluding note, it’s important to state that there’s a considerable chance of getting banned if you use PS3HEN right now while your console is connected to the internet. This is because spoofing techniques used with regular CFWs don’t work on PS3HEN.
Another important thing to state is that if you have an older PS3 model with a minimum FW version of 3.56 or below, you’re better off use the PS3Xploit NAND/NOR flasher and installing a full CFW through it.
PS3HEN 2.0 Link w/Changelog and Download: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3hen-v2-0-0-official-update.23955/