Switch releases: Unofficial osu! client released and Atmosphere updated to 0.8.3 – Jamming to osu! songs is now a thing with McOsu NX
For quite a few years, rhtyhm games, like the Project Diva series, have been pretty popular and the Switch has its own share of official titles. However, none of these are as expandable as osu! so now, the homebrew community stepped in to rectify that along with releasing an update to Atmosphere.
McOsu NX makes its way to hacked Switches
McOsu is an unofficial client osu! supporting regular beatmaps that comes with extra features for gameplay customisation and to make practicing gameplay easier.
Now, it’s been ported to the Switch as McOsu NX by its author McKay42 so that you could ace some beat maps on your Switch. From a video by McOsu’s developer on YouTube, this port seems to work well and has the following features:
- A fully working menu system
- Functioning audio so that you could listen to your favourite songs while going nuts on your favourite songs
- Multi-touch support so you can go crazy with your favourite beatmaps
McKay states that that McOsu NX must be run through NSP HBL or HBL takeover in order to work properly as it needs around 1GB RAM allocated to it. McOsu NX also comes with 9 built-in songs, including Renatus and Tear Rain, so you’ve got something to muck about with if you never played osu!
To grab McOsu NX, check out this link and download the provided ZIP file. Then, copy the ZIP file’s content to your SD Card and place the songs you want in “switch\McOsu\Songs\”. If you encounter any issues, report them to the Issues Tab of the in-line GitHub link.
Atmosphère 0.8.3 released with various fixes
Every now and again, the Switch’s go-to CFW gets an update and this time, it’s received version 0.8.3. Apart from a custom warmboot firmware to fix sleep issues on a downgraded NAND, Atmosphère 0.8.3 brings along:
- Some changes to the internal workings of the CFW which include the ExternalContentSource API not clearing on failure
- Content override now has an “app” setting which allows for overriding of all applications with HBL rather than a specific title
- Customisation of system settings is now supported through an added extension to “set.mitm”.
- This is currently being used to add an option for error report uploading and enabling USB 3.0 speeds when the hardware you’re using supports it
- The ability to boot into maintenance mode by holding */- was added to the PM
- Bug fixes such as fixing one having to do with the MitM API causing occasional system hangs on boot
To get the latest version of Atmosphere, simply follow this link and download the fusee loader BIN file and Atmosphere ZIP file.
As more time goes on, the Switch scene gets more interesting and hacking it becomes a more appealing option. However, getting bans on the Nintendo’s online service is still a possibility so think twice about whether online functionality or playing some OSU songs is more important to you!
On the other hand, if you don’t want to or can’t hack your Switch, you can always inject your own osu! beatmaps into IA/VT on a hacked PSVita to get access to playing osu! on the go!