PS4 exploits: the status for 5.5x and 6.0x owners (5.50, 5.53, 5.55, 5.56, 6.00, 6.02)
PS4 6.02 Jailbreak?
People running on the latest PS4 firmware (6.02), or some semi-recent ones (5.50 and the likes) have been wondering: When is a Jailbreak coming up for PS4 6.02?
The usual suspects of the hacking scene have been awfully silent about the prospect of a 5.5x exploit, let alone a Jailbreak for PS4 6.00 or 6.02. A while ago, hacker Mathieulh had confirmed a group of hackers have access to kernel exploit (or better) on firmware 5.55 at least, but explicitly stated there was no intent to release anything publicly at this point. This statement has not changed as far as I know.
Disappointment with the 5.05 scene
Homebrew is still being worked on, although slowly since it’s a 2-3 people doing ALL the work. since everyone wanted newer exploits for homebrew we gave it to them, and look at all this “homebrew” that we got. Wew
Although piracy has been vibrant on the platform, we can’t really say the same about homebrews.
I’d personally blame the lack of tutorials or a “user friendly” platform to build PS4 homebrews at this point, although it seems everything’s been available for a while now, thanks in part to the work of psxdev.
PS4 6.02 jailbreak: what’s next?
Understandably, the public reaction of hackers is that they don’t see the point in releasing more hacks until something “more” is done of the platform, than piracy. In practice though, that has historically not prevented other groups from releasing hacks when nobody was expecting it, so who knows what can happen next. I wouldn’t hold my breath, though, having not heard even rumors about an upcoming hack at this point.
Of course, nothing’s impossible. My experience on the hacking scene tells me a PS4 exploit for 5.5x and 6.0x will happen eventually, but it’s hard to tell “when”. Given the lack of exploit hints from the scene so far, my personal opinion would be that people who want to jump on the hack bandwagon sooner than later should try and get a PS4 running 5.05. If those are getting too expensive for you, my second suggestion is: buy a second PS4, and keep one on a shelf until the firmware it’s on gets hacked. That’s what I did for 4.05 (it waited on a shelf for about 16 months).