PPSSPP 1.7 released – Major speed boosts in some games, crash fixes on Note 9 and some Xiaomi devices, Discord Integration, sound/graphic issue fixes, loading times improved in certain games and more!
PPSSPP is quite a mature emulator so it doesn’t see many official updates as it works pretty well for the most part. However, bugs and issues are always there and now, PPSSPP 1.7 has been released to address a bunch of these and also add some new stuff!
What is PPSSPP?
As its name suggests, PPSSPP is a PSP emulator that’s available for a many platforms including PCs, Android and iOS.
Without a doubt, it’s the go-to PSP emulator because it not only offers good compatibility and performance but also offers a whole slew of great features. These features include:
- Support for native PSP save files and save state support
- Ability to render PSP games at higher resolutions up to and including 5k
- This makes some PSP games, such as Tekken 6, look closer to PS2/3 games rather than PSP ones!
- Screen filters like FXAA which make games look better
- Homebrew support so you can experience (or be nostalgic about) the glorious days of PSP homebrew
- DLC support so you can experience the most out of the PSP library
- Support for both physical controllers and touch controls so you can play your favourite PSP games on the go how you please
- Many other features including multi-language support and CSO support
What got updated in PPSSPP version 1.7?
PPSSPP 1.7, which came 5 months after PPSSPP 1.6, comes along with the following updates:
- Greatly improved performance in some Gundam and Earth Defense Force games, including Earth Defense 2 Portable
- A fix for crashes related to Vulkan rendering on the Galaxy Note 9, some Xiaomi devices and the new Nvidia Shield
- DTM:Race Driver and some other games had some rendering issues fixed thanks to the implementation of vertex range culling
- Issues with post-processing shaders on OpenGL 3+ were fixed. Some issues relating to sound output switching on Windows (via WASAPI) were also fixed
- Some texture decoding code was optimised which could improve loading times in some games, namely Medal of Honor Heroes 2, when using Vulkan rendering
- Simple Discord integration is now a thing on Windows, macOS and Linux.
- Thanks to this, you can show your friends what you’re playing!
- Other stuff including many bug fixes and compatibility fixes which can be browsed over at PPSSPP’s GitHub Issues page
It’s recommended to upgrade to version 1.7 especially if you’re encountering issues with PPSSPP 1.6. This is because PPSSPP 1.7 contains many bug fixes and some improvements which may fix some annoyances or problems you were facing before.
The Play Store version will be rolled out next week so if you want to grab PPSSPP 1.7 for your Android smartphone right now, you have to download and manually install the APK file.
To get PPSSPP, simply follow the link below and grab the appropriate file for your selected platform. If you encounter any bugs, report them to the GitHub Issues page above!
PPSSPP download page: https://www.ppsspp.org/downloads.html