This week (Sep 9-16) in PSVita/PSTV releases: Custom Themes Manager 4.0, Bookr Mod 0.3 with zooming/rotation support, updates to Basilisk II/UAE4ALL/Enigma and more!
Over 2 years after the release of HENkaku, new releases for the PSVita still haven’t quite stopped so there’s still stuff to be excited about. This week, we got Custom Themes Manager 4.0, an update to BookrMod which is the PSVita’s only comic/book reader and more!
Custom Themes Manager version 4.0
If you’re even slightly into giving some style to your PSVita then Red Squirrel’s Custom Themes Manager is the ideal homebrew for you. The homebrew is quite fully fledged with a great UI that has touch/button support, the ability to download themes from a huge online repository, a dumper for official themes and many more features including a utility to back/up restore app.db.
Like all good homebrew developers, Red Squirrel is still giving it updates and the recent 4.0 update includes:
- The ability to change the installation direction of custom themes to ux0,ur0 or uma0. This could prove useful if you’re into installing lots of themes
- An update checker for installed themes
- Sort by ‘validation score’ (how complete the theme is) is now an option while browsing themes
- The validation report can be opened in the browser as well by pressing SELECT on the theme you’re viewing
- Many other improvements including a bug fix when checking for available space during unzipping, the ability to jump to a specific page when browsing the online repository and the ability to load locally stored previews from ux0:/ctm.
Those who use or want Custom Themes Manager should get the VPK from this link and install it via VitaShell. Bugs should be reported to the linked BitBucket page.
Bookr Mod 0.3
Thanks to homebrew, the PSVita got a variety of new uses including being used as a notepad, a voice recorder and a book/comic reader. The PSVita’s book reader is called Bookr Mod and does a pretty good job but, until this release, it had some pretty important features missing.
Now, pathway27, its developer, has given Bookr Mod a well deserved update which brings along:
- Support for zooming (L/R triggers), bookmarks and rotating so that you can read your books/comics in portrait mode!
- A SELECT menu with options to rotate your screen, manage bookmarks, fit to width/height (although this didn’t work too well in my experience) and do book traversals
- A part of the software used in Bookr Mod was updated to the latest version of muPDF (v1.13)
- An important bug fix which addresses crashes/blank pages after putting the PSVita to sleep
To get the latest version of the PSVita’s only ePub, PDF and CBZ (and other formats) viewer, simply follow this link or get it via VHBB. Bugs are to be reported in the Issues Tab of the GitHub link.
Other than CTM 4.0 and Bookr Mod 0.3, this week also saw the release of:
- Updates to rsn8887’s homebrew with improvements to analogue stick/d-pad diagonal movement and other stuff – all available on VHBB
- Zelda3T 1.3.1 which brings bug fixes and the ability for Link to move in all 8 directions – available on VHBB
- Theme Manager Ex 2.0
- Multidownload Vita with the ability to download files from QR codes (useful after VitaShell temporarily dropped the feature with version 1.96 which is the current version) and URLs
- Easy DS3 to make setting up your DualShock 3 a little easier
- ONEMenu v3.0.8 with bug fixes
- Plugins Manager v2.0
- Manga Downloader Vita 2.4 and PKGJ 0.37; no links will be provided as both homebrew can be used for illicit purposes
To get the homebrew above, simply follow the in-link links and grab the VPKs to install via VitaShell. If you encounter any issues, report them to the developers through GitHub/BitBucket where possible.