Custom Boot Splash plugin for the PSVita / PSTV released – Make your boot-screen great again!
Every now and then, an overly cool plugin comes around for the PSVita. This time, it’s Princess Of Sleeping’s Custom Boot Splash plugin which lets you change your boot screen to whatever image you want!
What is Custom Boot Splash?
Custom Boot Splash is a plugin by PSVita developer Princess Of Sleeping who seems to be quite fond of messing around with system files.
This plugin allows you to change your PSVita/PSTV’s boot screen to any static image you desire which, in my opinion, increases the coolness factor of hacking your PSVita ten-fold! Obviously, this supports FW 3.60/5 as it requires Enso to work.
In order to avoid any confusion, what is shown when the PSVita boots is explained here in order:
- Boot Logo – this is the Enso or PS logo
- This plugin can’t fully bypass this so it’s momentarily shownn
- Custom Boot Splash takes over and your custom image is shown
- This replaces the Enso/PS logo which stays there for a few seconds without this plugin
- Epilepsy Warning
- The content of this can be changed with TheFlow’s Custom Warning plugin.
How do I use this plugin?
First of all, it must be noted that this plugin requires modification of HENkaku Enso’s ‘boot_config.txt’ file which is an important file for loading Enso. That being said, it’s pretty hard to screw up since the process of installing and using this plugin is pretty easy.
To use Custom Boot Splash, you have to do this:
- Get on a PC – This will make your life easier
- Open VitaShell, start the FTP server and connect to it from your PC using software like WinSCP
- Download the plugin from this link
- Grab an image that you want to use as a boot-screen and resize it to 960×544. I recommend you use an image with a 16:9 aspect ratio for best results.
- Resizing can be done with a website like this
- Feed the 960×544 image to this convertor
- You should be prompted to download a file called “boot_splash.bin”
- Go back to your FTP client and navigate to “ur0:/tai” NOT ux0:/tai
- Copy the plugin (custom_boot_splash.skprx) and boot_splash.bin to ur0:/tai
- Open “boot_config.txt” in ur0:/tai and add the following line “- load ur0:tai/custom_boot_splash.skprx” to one line before “load os0:kd/clockgen.skprx”
- Save the file
- Reboot your Vita and enjoy your custom boot-screen!
Unless you manage to mess up “boot_config.txt”, this plugin is completely safe and I confirm it myself as I tested it. Now, all of you who have stayed on FW 3.60/5 can go enjoy a custom boot screen!
GitHub Page (source code + instructions): https://github.com/Princess-of-Sleeping/PSP2-CustomBootSplash