A look at Persona 4 Golden (PSVita) Modding: What mods are available and how you install them!
When consoles are hacked, modding of commercial games is a must and the PSVita is no exception. While I’m usually not a fan of modding my games, I ended up modding Persona 4 Golden because there was a character I really wanted! In this article, we’ll be looking at what mods are available and how to mod your game!
The mods that are available
Persona 4 Golden is a PSVita game that thanks to HENkaku got a couple of interesting mods. Among these mods, we find:
- A mod that lets you play as the Female Main Character (which I really love) from Persona 3 Portable while in dungeons and battle
- It must be noted that this mod has a bug in which the game stops accepting input if you press ‘X’ in the dungeons without hitting a shadow.
- Fortunately, the bug above doesn’t impede you from opening doors and chests and going up stairs.
- As a result, if you’re very careful not to press X accidentally, you’re good 🙂 I’ve personally played the dungeons for hours and I never hit X accidentally.
- This mod doesn’t have FeMC’s voices in it BUT I have added them in a separate mod found in the Discord channel linked below.
- Shinji, again from P3P, as Main Character in dungeons and battle.
- No TV Static mod.
- This mod removes the scanlines in TV world
- An undub of the game.
- This gives you Japanese voices in the North American release while retaining English text.
- Persona 420.
- A mod that changes Yosuke’s voice clips and textures with Yuri Lowenthal’s performance in GTA V.
- A mod to up the rendering resolution from 840×476 to 960×544.
- It must be noted that this only works in the EUR version. UPDATE: IT NOW SUPPORTS NA/JP Versions!
- The instructions below must not be used with this one as it’s just a regular user-mode plugin.
How do I install these?
Installing these mods isn’t terribly hard but requires some fiddling around with game files and a moderately specced computer. To mod your game, the process goes roughly likes this:
- Install the rePatch plugin on your PSVita and restart your device
- Decrypt your game files using this guide
- Now, copy your decrypted DATA.CPK to your computer (unless you decrypted it on the computer) and place it somewhere easy to find
- Download Mod Compendium
- You may need to copy some mods to your Mod Compendium folder since not all of the aforementioned mods are included with it. Other mods are found in the link below.
- Open Mod Compendium and select Persona 4 Golden in the top left selector
- Click Settings and point to your decrypted CPK file
- Make sure you keep the tick on “Use Compression”
- Tick the mods you wish to install and hit ‘Build’
- Let your computer generate the new DATA.CPK file with your mods
- This step can take anywhere from 15 minutes to over an hour depending on how fast your PC is
- Copy the newly generated CPK file to ux0:/rePatch/<your game’s TITLE ID HERE (PCSE00120 for NA versions)>/data
- Run the game and enjoy your mods!
It is recommended to devote a few hours to this as it’s not a very quick process. That being said, if you search around on the internet, you can find copies of Persona 4 Golden that are already undubbed (with undubbed cut scenes) but acquiring such copies is still considered piracy so be careful on that front.
I only tested Mod Compendium on the US release so I can’t confirm whether it works with the EUR release. Furthermore, the DATA.CPK of some undubbed versions is known not to work when running it through Mod Compendium and P4G refuses to load up.
To get the mods listed above, simply follow the link below. If you wish to create your own mod or download my FeMC mod with her own voices, simply follow join the Discord below and head over to the #modding channel!
Persona 4 Golden Mods: https://amicitia.github.io/mods/p4g
Discord Link: https://amicitia.github.io/discord