#LetMaiDie, the successor to MaiDump, is in the works – A new PSVita game dumper that allows FW 3.67/8 games to run on 3.60-3.65!
When MaiDump was released back in late 2016, it was touted as an easy and somewhat robust tool to dump PSVita games and install those dumps. Going forward, TheFlow released a much cleaner DRM removing tool called NoNpDrm which worked much better but MaiDump was still being used by FW 3.60 hold-outs who wanted to run FW 3.65 games. Now, MaiDump will finally be succeeded and acquire a killer feature along the way!
The current situation with games requiring a higher firmware than the one you currently have installed
With the advent of TheFlow’s 3.65 Updater, games requiring FW 3.65 were able to be dumped but as NoNpDrm doesn’t decrypt the EBOOT, it was impossible to run them on FW 3.60. Fortunately, MaiDump was updated for FW 3.65 and it decrypts the EBOOT. This made it possible to run games which required FW 3.61-3.65 on FW 3.60 with some hex editing. Until the advent of the hack for FW 3.67/3.68, this method was considered to be good enough BUT then, with TheFlow’s h-encore hack for these firmwares, it was noted that MaiDump was broken on FW 3.67/8. This left people running hacked FW 3.60/3.65 unable to run games that required FW 3.67-3.68 and this is where the new PSVita game dumper steps in.
What is #LetMaiDie?
First of all, this new PSVita game dumper isn’t called #LetMaiDie but it’s just a hashtag used by TheRadziu to give updates about this new dumper as it doesn’t have a name yet. This new game dumper is apparently a combined effort between CelesteBlue and dots-tb, two well-known PSVita developers. From TheRadziu’s updates about it, the following was made out:
- This dumper will be using NoNpDrm dumps as a base and a compatibility pack to make games work on lower firmwares (FW 3.60/3.65).
- The compatibility pack, which will be generated by this game dumper, will include decrypted modules and a decrypted EBOOT.
- The compatibility pack will be applied by dots-tb’s RePatch, a plugin by dots-tb that allows you to mod encrypted games.
- It seems that this dumper will come in the form of an application which loads a kernel plugin to make stuff work, similar to how VitaShell works. CelesteBlue is developing the plugin while dots-tb is developing the app but they’re both helping each other out. Thanks TheRadziu for the information
- It will require NoNpDrm to function as it uses its dumps. However, NoNpDrm won’t be needed if you’re running your own games and only need to run the compatibility pack. Thanks CelesteBlue for the extra info here.
- Unlike MaiDump, this dumper will be decrypting the EBOOT and modules via the kernel not through the RAM. This approach dumps NPDRM in a proper thus reducing the possibility of bugs and increasing the number of apps/games that can be dumped. Furthermore, the dumps will have a better chance of working with the Vita3K emulator. Thanks CelesteBlue for the extra information here.
- It will allow retail and NoNpDrm DLCs as it uses RePatch.
- EBOOT modding will be supported.
- Once the compatibility pack, which is said to be 5-50MB in size, is created, it will work on any hacked firmware. This means that one compatibility pack will work on FW 3.60, 3.65, 3.67, 3.68 and any hacked firmware.
- For compatibility packs to be generated, your PSVita/PSTV systems must be running the firmware version that the game you want to dump requires.
Obviously, this new dumper will be used for piracy but it can be used in a legitimate fashion if you dump your own games and generate your own compatibility packs. It must be noted that no ETA has been given yet and there are issues with Unity games at this point. That being said, the development of this dumper seems to be in pretty advanced stages as a teaser video showing it in action has been released.
To get more information, simply follow TheRadziu, dots-tb and CelesteBlue on Twitter. You can watch the video teasing this plugin below but please read the description as it gives some valuable information about what’s going on.