PS4: How to get your hands on a PS4 with firmware 5.05 or lower
A PS4 5.05 Jailbreak was released in May 2018. As always when these things happen, we expect the price of 5.05 PS4s to increase significantly. This is in particular true since those Jailbreaks are typically followed by piracy, which make the devices attractive for a larger category of people than just tinkerers.
If you’re looking for a 5.05 PS4, for homebrew, hacks, or other purpose, follow this guide to help you get a 5.05 PS4 for a reasonable price.
About PS4 Firmware 5.05
PS4 Firmware 5.05 was released on 2018/01/18 (January 18th, 2018). Any bundle released before that date will have a firmware below 5.05. Bundles released shortly after that date might also have the right firmware, but your mileage might vary.
Some advice when shopping for a PS4:
- It’s easier to ensure you have the right firmware version if you get the device new and sealed, not “used”
- If you get a “used” console, be careful: most sellers update the console to the latest firmware before selling it. Ask them to confirm the firmware version before buying anything. This is true both online and in brick&mortar stores.
- On Amazon and eBay, some sellers sell a different product than what the description says. I have seen some sellers offering the Star Wars bundle instead of the Killzone Shadow Fall bundle, for example. Be careful here, as always, ask the sellers for details if possible. Similarly, some sellers might sell a console + the game as a “bundle” without actually selling “the” bundle as it was originally released. If this happens to you, see point 4 below.
- Amazon have a great return policy. Use it if the PS4 is not the one you expected!
Buying a PS4 new, with a low firmware
The ideal way to get yourself an “old” PS4 firmware is to buy one of the old bundles, and to get it new.
On eBay, you can look for PS4 5.05. Make sure to get a “sealed” unit or ask the seller for confirmation of the firmware. On Amazon, searching for PS4 bundle will get you started.
Specific bundles below, keep in mind the list is not exhaustive. Let me insist that you need to do your homework: contact the sellers to confirm as much information as possible before buying, make sure you understand their return policy, etc. There is no guarantee that the links below will consistently ensure a lower firmware. Again, leverage the return policy if you’re not getting what you want.
Alternatively, buying online might not be the best option for you: you might have better luck going to your local “used and new” shop, and actually try the console to verify its firmware. Most local shops will let you check the firmware version if you explain your situation. Remember they just want to sell stuff, not judge you on why you want to buy a lower firmware console. “I’m a tinkerer and need a console on firmware 5.05 or below in order to install Linux, I’m not interested in a more recent firmware” usually gets the point across 🙂
Note: the Amazon links below are affiliate links. You don’t pay anything extra but we get a small commission if you purchase through our links.
- PS4 Pro Battlefront II limited edition bundle (11/2017)
- PS4 Slim 1TB Battlefront II Bundle (11/2017)
- PS4 Pro God of War limited Edition (04/2018) – confirmed shipping with firmware 4.73. Not to be confused with some PS4 Slim + god of war bundles that allegedly ship with firmware 5.07
- PS4 Pro Monster Hunter World Liolaeus edition (12/2017) – this is a Japan exclusive, given the import prices I’d think twice about buying this one though.
- PS4 Pro Destiny 2 Bundle (9/2017)
- PS4 Slim 1TB FFXV Limited Edition Bundle (11/2016)
- PS4 Slim 1TB Call of Duty limited Edition Bundle (11/2017)
Older, harder to find bundles
The bundles below shipped with firmware 4.55 or lower. They are now fairly difficult to find, but you might give it a try
- PS4 Slim Call of Duty Infinite Warfare bundle (12/2016) reported to ship with 4.01. Glacier White edition reported to ship with 4.06.
- PS4 Slim Gold Edition (6/2017), reported to ship with firmware 4.55
- PS4 Black Friday GTAV + TLoU bundle (2014)
- Arkham Knight Limited Edition (06/2015)
- Destiny Taken King Limited Edition (09/2015)
- Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection Bundle (10/2015)
- Star wars battlefront bundle (11/2015)
- Star wars battlefront limited edition bundle (11/2015)
- Call Of Duty Black Ops III bundle (12/2015)
- PS4 Slim Uncharted 4 Bundle (09/2016)
- Uncharted 4 limited Edition bundle (05/2016)
- The Last of Us Remastered bundle, reported to ship with firmware 2.03
- The old “Phat” PS4 model has been discontinued in 2016, so it will most likely always ship with a firmware below 5.05, even outside of a bundle, if you can buy it new. You might want to try your luck.
What about regular PS4 Pro/Slim (not a bundle)?
Multiple people have reported getting firmware 5.07 or 5.50 when buying a PS4 Slim or PS4 pro “as is” (not part of a distinctive bundle). You might want to try your luck, but as time goes by it is likely that your chances of getting a 5.05 firmware on one of these “vanilla” consoles are diminishing. PS4 5.07 allegedly works with the 5.05 exploit but this needs to be confirmed (as of May 27, 2018).
Wow, all of these bundles are way too expensive, what can I do?
As I mentioned above, you can try your luck and get a “regular” PS4 slim, hoping it will come on a lower firmware.
Or, skip the current hack, buy a vanilla PS4 Pro or PS4 slim today, and store it on a shelf until the next hack comes. When the next hack comes, your PS4 will be on the right firmware or lower. This is what lots of us already did, ending up with one PS4 for hacks and one PS4 for games (that we keep up to date). This gives you the best of both worlds.
Leave your feedback to make this list better!
If you know about other bundles that ship with a low firmware, please let us know in the comments section! Also, if one of the bundles above shipped to you with a firmware above 5.05, please report with as many details as possible (where you bought it, did you contact the seller, did you have any issues doing a return, etc…)
Bought my ps4 pro on Brazil at Amazon 16th november 2018, no bundle, CUH-7116B (wikipedia says its 5.55), it was on 4.73.
I imagined they would be jailbreakable because ps4 pro was released in brazil at february and big stores would buy them in bulk, but people from my country aren’t buying the pro version, they go for the slim because it’s way cheaper here
Ps4 pro gt sport bundle. What fw does it have?
Out of the box, should be 4,73 or lower
How about this bundle? : https://www.expert.de/shop/unsere-produkte/gaming-spielwaren/ps4/ps4-konsolen/11364069744-playstation-4-pro-limited-edition-star-wars-battlefront-deluxe-edition.html
Wololo. Please can you call me. I just got a brand new in box PS$ with 2.51. I am not sure if I should upgraded to 5.05 or not. I have hacked other systems but didnt want to upgraded past I point that I miss something awesome. 610-233-6248.