TheFlow confirms that PSVita Firmware 3.68 doesn’t break his FW 3.67 exploit that lets HENkaku run!
While the PSVita is mostly dead in the West, it’s still somewhat popular in Japan and due to that, Sony hasn’t fully given up the ghost on it. A few days ago, they released FW 3.68 but fortunately, it doesn’t do an awful lot bar some security fixes and performance improvements.
What does FW 3.68 do? Did it fix any exploits?
Yesterday, TheFlow had the time to analyse firmware 3.68 and he’s been able to find out the following:
- He is still able to run HENkaku on Firmware 3.68 so that means that his upcoming hack for firmware 3.67 hasn’t been broken! This means that the exploits he’s been using to run HENkaku on FW 3.67 haven’t been patched.
- It seems that Sony did actually patch some kernel bugs, 3 of them in fact. On the bright side, these exploits could lead to kernel code execution only on a devkit so the aforementioned hack hasn’t been affected!
- Initially, TheFlow reported that FW 3.68 added TLSv1.2 support BUT upon further inspection, it turned out that TLSv1.2 support was added in FW 3.67. Having TLSv1.2 support in the browser and in the system as a whole is great since some websites, such as GitHub, have dropped support for TLSv1.1!
As TheFlow’s hack for running HENkaku on FW 3.67 hasn’t been fixed, this means that you’ll be able to hack firmware 3.68 with the same/very similar hack in the future and you’ll be able to play games that require FW 3.68 on a hacked console.
That being said, it’s important to note that because the exploit hasn’t been patched, you shouldn’t expect a sooner release for his FW 3.67 (or 3.68) hack. It may be released even later so that even less games are left out on hacked consoles.
FW 3.68 will almost certainly break offsets for software such as VitaShell and Download Enabler so some software will probably be updated in the coming days.
What you should and shouldn’t do?
As always, it is advised to do the following:
- If you’re on firmware 3.60, stay there. If you’re on TheFlow’s hacked FW 3.65, you should also stay there.
- If you’re on a firmware below 3.60, update to 3.60 using Yifan Lu’s DNS method for HENkaku/taiHEN.
- However, if you’re on firmware 3.61-3.67 and hacking is your number one priority, don’t update! It is important to mention that FW 3.67 broke HENkaku Enso so TheFlow’s hack will only get you the temporary HENkaku that you have to apply every reboot on FW 3.67 and, presumably, 3.68.
- Remember that the lower your FW, if you’re on 3.61-3.67, the better your chances of getting a hack are. Furthermore, FW 3.61-3.63 let you run ARK which means you can play your own PSP games on your PSVita!
On another note, you shouldn’t bug TheFlow for ETAs as the only thing that you’ll get is a block from viewing his Twitter. Remember, he said he’ll be releasing his hack late this year or early next year but he may change his mind and do it later. It’s his work and his time so he doesn’t owe you anything 🙂
To get further updates about TheFlow’s upcoming hack for FW 3.61-3.67, and almost certainly FW 3.68, simply follow his Twitter account.
TheFlow’s Twitter account: https://twitter.com/theflow0
He seems to have deleted his PayPal donation link so if you wish to donate, ask him personally.