VitaQuake II updated for 3D hardware acceleration – You can now play Quake II at native resolution on your PSVita!
After Rinnegatamante’s success with getting vitaGL to accelerate VitaQuake, he decided to move on to VitaQuake II, which is more graphically demanding. Now, version 1.5 of VitaQuake II has been released so that we can enjoy a superior Quake II experience!
What is VitaQuake II?
As its title suggests, VitaQuake II is a port of Quake II’s engine for the PSVita. Quake II is a massively popular game that was released in late 1997 by id Software as a successor (but not a direct sequel) to Quake I.
Quake II not only brought about new weapons and new powerups but also brought about an improved engine with new abilities such as being able to render skyboxes and coloured lighting effects.
VitaQuake II was created by Rinnegatamante last year and has the following features:
- Renders at native (960×544) resolution at a pretty decent framerate (around 60FPS most of the time) thanks to VitaGL
- Full sound and music support
- Support for the full and shareware versions of the game
- Multiplayer support
- Many other features including dualshock rumbling for DS3/4 users.
What got updated in version 1.5?
VitaQuake II version 1.5 brings about the following:
- 3D hardware acceleration support thanks to VitaGL. This allows the game to be rendered at the Vita’s native resolution (960×544) while still giving a buttery smooth 60FPS most of the time.
- An FPS counter
- The right analogue stick is now more sensitive and precise thanks to fixes from rsn8887 and Shroom King
- The game can now render shadows and has an option to turn these on and off.
I have personally played through the first mission of the shareware game with shadows enabled and I made the following observations:
- The framerate is pretty good and it hovers at around 60FPS most of the time with occasional dips to around 30FPS.
- The rendering, including the water, is good for the most part but I did notice a few glitches with shadow rendering
Some users have reported this update breaks the cinematic scenes that are included with some full editions of Quake II and their old saves. Rinnegatamante is currently working on fixing these issues.
To get VitaQuake II, simply open VHBB and download it from there since it’s available on VitaDB. VHBB will also download the game’s shareware files so you can start playing straight away!
You may also copy over your own full version data files to ux0:/data/quake2 if you wish to play the full version of the game.
If you have any issues, report them to Rinnegatamante on the Wololo /talk thread or GitHub page linked below.
Wololo /talk update post (full changelog): //wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=48496&p=421813
GitHub page (source code): https://github.com/Rinnegatamante/vitaQuakeII
VitaDB link (manual download link): http://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/278
Rinnegatamante’s Patreon (great way to donate him a few bucks if you appreciate his hard work): https://www.patreon.com/Rinnegatamante