VitaQuake 2.5 released – Now 3D (GPU) hardware accelerated!
After 2 weeks of screenshots, hype and hard work from Rinnegatamante, the first product of vitaGL is finally with us. That first piece of work with vitaGL is giving 3D GPU acceleration to VitaQuake, a port of the popular Quake, so that vitaGL’s capabilities could shine!
What is VitaQuake?
VitaQuake is, without a doubt, a port of the popular 1996 first-person shooter by id Software. It is a game that’s available on many platforms such as Windows, Mac, the N64, Sega Saturn and many more through open-source ports so there’s a good chance that you’ve played at least a part of it sometime in your life.
VitaQuake was originally released in October 2015 for Rejuvenate-enabled PSVita and won the “Wololo’s Favorite Open source entry” and $100. It was one of the first homebrew that got ported to HENkaku and it’s been receiving occasional updates ever since.
What got changed/updated in VitaQuake 2.5?
VitaQuake 2.5 brings about the following:
- The game now uses hardware (GPU) accelerated rendering powdered with vitaGL. This means that you’ll get better performance and superior image quality!!
- Many graphics effects were added to the glQuake renderer.
- VitaQuake now runs at native resolution which is 960×544 for a sharp and great-to-look-at image with a constant 60FPS framerate in most areas.
- The Game Resolution, Depth of Field, Always Run settings were removed from the menus.
- Fog Rendering, Dynamic Shadows, Dynamic Torch Lights settings were added to the menus.
As you can see, this is a major update that you should surely try out it. It can now be said that the PSVita has a decent FPS game that looks awesome thanks to hardware acceleration so you should certainly dabble around with it.
Apart from this, you should also be excited because vitaGL will bring about more GPU accelerated open-source game ports such as Quake 3 and could potentially be a big help when porting some emulators so that N64 emulator may be closer!
To get this homebrew, you simply have to open VHBB and it will download the shareware game files itself so you can use it straightaway! If you have any issues with the port, report them to Rinnegatamante on the /talk thread linked below.
Wololo /talk post (changelog + more info): //wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=46185&p=421279#p421279
Source code (you may also report issues here): https://github.com/Rinnegatamante/vitaQuake
Rinnegatamante’s Patreon (he deserves a buck or two for his hard work!): https://www.patreon.com/Rinnegatamante