Extinction, Brand NEW IP from Iron Galaxy coming to PS4, XBOX One, PC
Extinction, a brand new action game, played from the 3rd person perspective, has been announced today. Developed by Iron Galaxy while Maximum Games will publish the game on PS4, Xbox One and PC. Iron Galaxy is known for titles such as Killer Instinct (after taking over from Double Helix), Borderlands: The Handsome Collection and 7 Ways to Die.
With the release of the cinematic trailer speculation on and excitement for what Extinction will offer can begin. Here are a few facts and observations taken to take into consideration.
Extinction Story and Setting
Set in a fantastical world where mankind is under threat of extinction. Stories of old tell about an unstoppable army called the Ravenii . These legends point towards sentinel Anvil, the sole survivor of an ancient order, as the one with the power to, once more, save humankind.
How does Extinction play
The main focus in Extinction is to defend/save humanity by fighting off the legendary enemies (Ravenii) that literally come crushing through the various city gates. Vertical and horizontal movement is a big part of this action title since the Ravenii attack from both the ground and air.
Features as found in the press release:
- Deep Story Campaign: Protect the human population across an abundant story campaign, rescuing as many civilians as possible and taking down brutal opponents.
- Dynamic Side Missions: Complete numerous side missions with various objectives, earning upgrades to aid you in your campaign.
- Skill-Based Combat: Travel horizontally and vertically, perform wall runs, and use your whip as a vault to perform devastating air assaults. Master dynamic combat maneuvers to effectively traverse the giant beasts and expose their weak points, progressing along different skill trees to develop a path best suited to your play-style.
- Interactive Environment: Move freely around a fully destructible environment, and use objects throughout the world to your strategic advantage.
- Innumerable Battle Scenarios: Every battlefield is different from the last, ensuring a unique combat situation each time you play.
- Custom Battles: Create unique battlegrounds with varied objectives, and challenge players online to compete for the top score.
- Extinction Mode: Fight off a continuous horde of assailants as wave after wave of ogres and their minions attack without relent.
I assume that over the following months more details on this new IP will be made public. Iron Galaxy & Maximum Games are showing Extinction behind closed doors at E3 2017. But towards the end of the cinematic trailer a short snippet of gameplay is shown. With a release window of Q1 2018 we all have plenty of time to prepare for the arrival of the Ravenii. I thought I should use some of that time the make (not so) wild predictions on this action game.
Speculation based on the Extinction Cinematic Trailer
At the beginning of the trailer we hear the voice over say: “Wave after wave of merciless evil” an obvious reference to the 150 foot tall Ogres and the minions that follow suit. This alongside the key features, makes me believe that although an action game, Extinction will play somewhat like a towers defence game. Something along the lines of Ratchet and Clank Full Frontal Assault but with gigantic threats like in Attack on Titan (the anime, I haven’t played the game).
Traversal also seems like an important pillar of that what makes Extinction. Something akin to the systems in Assassin’s Creed, but implemented in a way that makes climbing a wall more skill based, like it is in Mirror’s Edge.
Another key feature is fast paced Action combat. Iron Galaxy, known for their work on Killer Instinct (season 2 and season 3) should leverage that expertise. Hopefully this will translate into a “combo driven play style”, where strategic choices are more than “the enemy is attacking in the north of the map, so go there or stay and farm here”. The mention of adaptable fighting styles points towards a single player campaign that’s re-playable for reasons beyond chasing highscores.
Traversal seems to be a part of the combat rather than just getting from point A to point B. I can imagine how fighting of the Ravenii in fully destructible cities, leads to collapsing buildings, effectively opening up a new path to an Ogre’s weak spot.
Parts of the environments and dynamic missions will be randomly generated. An incentive to go embark on these dynamic side missions might be unlocking a specific weapon. Imagine a blade that would stop or slow down the regeneration powers of “Big Bad Ogre” from the trailer.
Keep in mind that my speculations are based on watching the Extinction Cinematic Trailer. What are your thoughts on Extinction, and my predictions for what the game?