ARK for 3.60 released – Also works on 3.61/3
ARK for 3.60 has been released! Now, you might say, “Oh, isn’t there Adrenaline already?”. You’d be right but ARK has some advantages over Adrenaline (and some disadvantages).
ARK is a cross between VHBL and a full eCFW. You don’t get the PSP’s XMB but you can still play PSP games unlike VHBL. You get a VHBL-esque file manager but you can execute EBOOT.PBP files without having to convert them to a strange VHBL format. ARK for 3.60 has been ported by fellow developer “qwikrazor87” who mentioned that he was going to port it before Adrenaline landed.
Why use ARK?
ARK has a series of somewhat subtle advantages over Adrenaline:
- Ability to run on 3.61/3 (If you have someone to give you a copy
or you already have VHBL, or if it’s already installed) (Update: VHBL does not have write access to PSP/GAME so the reports of VHBL enabling this are believed to be inaccurate)
- Can run when taiHEN is on too (Adrenaline doesn’t override it)
- Ability to run without having taiHEN enabled
- Can run some games Adrenaline can’t (such as the English patched Project Diva 2nd)
- Should be able to play PS1 ISOs (games) WITHOUT sound (as per online user reports)
These advantages allow lazy folks, like me, who don’t feel like installing taiHEN to play PSP games a la VHBL. It also allows those who have 3.61/3 to play PSP games as it’s a kxploit unlike Adrenaline but like VHBL.
The disadvantages of ARK
As previously discussed, ARK has some advantages but it also has some disadvantages. These are:
- Lack of custom filter suport a la Adrenaline
- No PSP XMB or plugins
- No support claims as Adrenaline is still in development
- Lack of native savestates like those that will be supported in Adrenaline in the future
The disadvantages may be deal breakers for some but ARK is still pretty decent. It’s important to note that you can still use ARK even if you have Adrenaline installed so you don’t need to worry about that.
ARK is a pretty interesting piece of homebrew that, sadly, has limited appeal. While it has some advantages such as letting the user use it without installing taiHEN, it came a tad late to the game. The only real thing that will keep this release alive is probably 3.61/3 support and lazy people, like yours truly, who don’t wanna be bothered to load taiHEN everytime. On a concluding note, it’s important to note that the community is very grateful to the developer “qwikrazor87” for his awesome work!
Source and instructions: //wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=47678