How to install PSM Dev for Unity on PS Vita firmware 3.20 and above
Note from Wololo: This tutorial was initially published by /Talk member YumYumOfTheYum, as part of our monthly tutorial contest. YumYumOfTheYum won the best PS Vita tutorial prize in June (a $10 PSN Code) for his entry. You can find the original post here.
This is for PSM Dev Unity packaged by Major.Tom & Mr Gas.
Credits to them, and also all you coders in the scene. Big thanks !
Without further ado …
- Get the PSM Dev Unity package here: //wololo.net/downloads/index.php/download/8322 then unpack.
- Install Mozilla Thunderbird (portable version also OK, thanks pythonista for clarifying).
- Open the “test2.eml” file included in the package using Thunderbird then send the email to your email. You can send it to yourself, btw.
- Copy the directory “UNITY” into PSAVEDATA/blahblahblah/UNITY in your PSAVEDATA folder .. note blahblahblah is your device unique identifier.
- Then copy the package using Content Manager. It will show as PSM UNITY INSTALL (>3.20).
- Rebuild database before anything else (power off then R+power+PS button).
- Tap any game that needs updating but don’t open it.
- Start update for the game by tapping the upper leftmost icon in that game’s “page”.
- Pause the running update (open your notification bubble in LiveArea then tap … then “pause”).
- Open Vita email app, then open the email sent earlier by yourself. If it’s correct, you will have 2 attachments showing as images.
- Tap image 1 (left). An error message will appear, just close the app (NOT the error message).
- Re-open Vita email app, then open again that email.
- Tap image 2 (right). An error message will appear, just close the app (NOT the error message) just like before.
- Turn off Wi-Fi.
- Open your notification bubble in LiveArea, then tap on the message showing failed update.
- Profit !!!
- For you guys noticing 96kb (or whatever) size in the Vita content manager app after copying the save data, don’t worry, it’s really 27-something MB. It is shown as 96kb because apparently the Vita system did not read the size of the subfolders.
- Also, apparently you need QCMA instead of OCMA for successful file transfer (h/t Dr.GiggleZ and AlexTwolf).
- If you’re on 3.30+, apparently you need to update the PSM Dev Unity app first. Just do it.
- If your Vita says “you must update the system software”, just shutdown and refresh database. Restart in airplane mode (h/t tinostar91).
- Some people reported that the game update must be paused right after it is initiated, but that seems not to be the case (h/t tinostar91).
- Outlook doesn’t work, Hotmail doesn’t work (h/t RonnChyran and SaltySticks). For Gmail, you need to either enable 2-step verification and use app specific password, or allow access to less secure apps.
- PSM Runtime can also be used for update payload (h/t RikuKurai).
- Any game on a cart can also be used, as long as it requires an update (h/t Xplic1T).
- Edited for a few important points forgotten, 2nd edit for additional infos learned by people in this thread. Thanks, everyone!
Want a chance to win a $10 PSN Code and be featured on the blog with your own guide? Join our monthly tutorial contest here!