Way to keep a secret malloxis
So if you don’t know already, an exploit for the demo of patapon2 was released by malloxis today.
Although I’m always happy when new exploits are found, this saddens me deeply because that’s not how things were supposed to be. For the record, malloxis found a crash in the game patapon 2, and was able to overwrite ra. That was back in February. I wrote the binloader with the help of N00b81 (as Davee would say, not that it’s difficult, but still), the SDK, adapted the hello world, based on Sparta’s SDK by Freeplay and mattiaz. To prove it, I have all the necessary files on a SVN (currently private), and this article on how to write a binary loader that I wrote after adapting the binloader.
There was an agreement with malloxis that this exploit had to be kept secret unless we could come up with something “useful” for it. But this confirms that the PSP scene has trust issues, so, way to go malloxis, probably nobody will help you anymore (and, let’s face it, you need help when it comes to these things).
M0skit0 and myself have been working on adapting m0skit0’s eLoader for this thing. It’s far from being ready yet, but it doesn’t hurt anymore to announce it I guess.
I want to apologize to the following people: maku, Flyer, pspLow, who all independently found the same exploit and accepted my recommendations of not releasing the name of the game until something was ready. I also want to apologize to the scene, for this exploit will probably be patched in Sony’s next firmware while we have nothing useful yet. Blame the guy who leaked the exploit.
from wagic thehomebrew <firstname.lastname@example.org>
to malloxis <XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>
date Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM
subject Re: Project Valentine: current status
Cool, I actually have the files on my harddrive at work:
-encrypted savedata with the binloader
-hello world h.bin (to put in ms0:/h.bin)
-source code for the binLoader.
Note that all I did was adapting the code from SpartaSDK, so if you want to see how it is done I suggest you look at the spartasdk (google for it), I just changed the addresses to match valentine.
The hello world itself is roughly the same as the one in spartaSDK, I just changed the text to put our names 🙂
Please don’t leak that, I trust you on that 🙂