Vita Half-Byte Loader

What is it?

Vita Half-Byte Loader is a homebrew loader HBL for the Playstation Vita, running through the PSP emulator on the Playstation Vita.
For the latest news about Vita Half Byte Loader, check the VHBL Category on this blog.

Half-Byte Loader (HBL) is an open source Homebrew Loader for the Sony PSP and the PS Vita. It allows to play fan-made games on any PSP and PS Vita. HBL allows to run emulators for the Game Boy, Nintendo 64, Sega Megadrive, NES, Super NES… and many other applications.

Disclaimer

• VHBL does not technically allow you to play any pirated PSP or Vita games.
  • Although VHBL is free and open source, the current version relies on vulnerabilities in specific PSP games that you need to buy from the PSN. VHBL comes with no guarantee, especially I cannot guarantee it will work on your Vita, so remember that you pay for a PSP game, and not for anything else. I do not do refunds for the money you gave to Sony :)
  • It is super easy for Sony to patch the vulnerabilities used by this tool, given the amount of control they have on the PS Vita. VHBL runs fine and is extensively tested, but for all I know it is possible for Sony to patch the game’s vulnerability without a firmware update. So, once again, before buying the game and downloading VHBL, you need to understand that you pay for the game, and VHBL is a bonus that might or might not work. Easter Egg: 6NH7-M5NJ-359B

Downloads

The Version of VHBL you need to download depends on the PSP Game you own. Click on the game you own to get redirected to the appropriate download page (the download page of each game also contains installation and usage instructions). Currently, VHBL is available for the following PSP games:

Sony’s strategy so far has been to remove these games from their store, and put them back once the Vita firmware is patched. Most likely, if you didn’t buy the vulnerable game(s) in time, you will not be able to run VHBL. But we are regularly bringing more exploits to VHBL, so stay tuned on this page for further updates.

1. jason’s avatar

??? sow wot happening with vhbl

1. the3’s avatar

Search for ninja release

2. jdubs’s avatar

Wol is waiting to release VHBL until his public release of the exploited game. Should be soon.

1. Esahc_’s avatar

Actually the game was pulled of the store soooo

3. Jason’s avatar

Cat wat he dos some grat work

1. luigi’s avatar

wait, does, great.

1. trey’s avatar

You’re a dick.

4. random’s avatar

Great, I know which game it is but I don’t know how to install the VHBL xD.

PS: Don’t ask me, won’t spread it.

1. Sin’s avatar

that has nothing to do with anything.

2. trey’s avatar

That’s an old exploit.

5. quetz’s avatar

i’m actually confused about what to do… i love monster hunter freedom unite, but i played for very long time into my psp.. at this point of vhbl nothing serious for my ps vita it’s made yet, and, i really don’t see how this vhbl could be found so interesting if not for developers trying to make the match goal. that’s why i think i’ll pass this time. since vhbl can’t run psp games, i think i’m going to pass. and like me other thous of guys. my best wishes is to see soon announced a psvloader into psv kernel, or a good made psp iso launcher into vhbl. that would be amazing value for the ps vita scene, and users like me would’t wait a sec more to hack their vita ;)

1. Empirix’s avatar

So pirating eh? This is why sony want to take VHBL Down, because they want to stop it before pirating with it happens. There may not be another VHBL If people think like this.

1. quetz’s avatar

you’re right! but what can i do? this is my opinion, and like me lot people want to see this coming.. and even without piracy, believe me, sony would like to shut VHBL down anyway. i trust that might be coming out some other interesting homebrew, such as cool emulators, not only psp isoloader. but that is number 1 ;) and even if wololo wont work on it, surely someone else is doing that right now, and someway and somewhen will be out you know..

1. Empirix’s avatar

Maybe so, but still, the main reason Sony wants VHBL gone for good is chance of piracy. If there is no piracy on the platform in the near future, then they won’t care about taking it down. There is no excuse for Pirating (Except older games) and there never will be.

6. Fabian’s avatar

when comes the vhbl for monster hunter united??!!!?!

1. wololo’s avatar

Seriously dude, stop, you’re getting on my nerves

1. nCadeRegal’s avatar

Tell me about it wololo, he leaked the game 2 days before your front page post. I tried to get the attention of the mods but by the time i did you had already released it publicly. I was just browsing the forums and came across it. Unlike him i respect you and all that you do for the scene. I bow to you my friend, you and your site are awesome. Keep up the good work. I cant wait to see what the future holds for us!

2. Turd Sandwich’s avatar

@Fabian: Looks like Wololo shut your ass down. Lol

1. Sin’s avatar

people are rude, impatient, and refuse to read ALL the given information. its sad @fabian hasnt walked into traffic for failing to read street lights

7. Empirix’s avatar

Game: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
    Files download: Soon
    To get prepared though, install open CMA So you can Open CMA With no internet, helping your chances of it working.

8. Empirix’s avatar

What the eff is up with these people asking the same old retarded question or pointless comments.
    “I don’t have the games! ):”
    “WHEN IS 1.80 COMING OUTTTT?”
    “Can I use VHBL without/with other games?”
    Seriously guys, keep an eye on the site and stop bitching.

9. SMOKE’s avatar

I’ve had the game a couple days now, got bored, tried playing it, failed, waiting for files to play SNES games lol

1. Empirix’s avatar

lol, I know, I wanna play meh super metroid!

10. Maxxy’s avatar

Seriously though, what’s the reason the files aren’t released yet? The game was publicly announced, and the exploit has been tested before, so why not just make VHBL available for download already?

1. wesg632’s avatar

If you are so impatient learning programming yourself and make a vbhl for yourself until then be respectful of other peoples hard work and stop complaining

11. Mr. Awsome’s avatar

If you want to play emulators badly, order a Caanoo or something from eBay. WAY better than annoying the big W and delaying the inevitable vhbl files release.

12. johnathan george’s avatar

sorry if this was answered before or not, but if i dont have cma installed on my pc yet (sorry jus never needed to use it.) can i still install it now and use open cma? thanks much ^_^

13. johnathan george’s avatar

sorry about that i didnt read. it says in the notepad file to uninstall cma on my computer anyway and run the setup. sorry about that lol

14. johnathan george’s avatar

can someone help me?? im still getting the e801 error message when trying to run open cma. i uninstalled cma a few times and reran the setup files from the rar file. i reran setupdll and everything a few times. still no dice. anything i can do? was i supposed to restart my computer when i uninstall cma? (wow sorry for that newb question but i wanted to know cuz it didnt say to in the notepad file.) thanks

1. kaas’s avatar

try to restart your vita i had the same problem

1. kaas’s avatar

or download that patch that just came out :S

2. SMOKE’s avatar

If you are on Windows 7, then you have to run the “run.bat” file as administrator. (right click > run as administrator)

15. Mark’s avatar

Monster Hunter unit is down !!!!

1. SMOKE’s avatar

S0NY took a while this time lol

2. SMOKE’s avatar

It says “System Undergoing Maintenance” when I try to login to the US store

1. luigi’s avatar

that’s because they’re doing maintenance for 14 hours today :(

16. N’s avatar

Thank you for all the nice work. Have already donated to the Red Cross several times and what I donate is far more valuable to them than just money.

17. azio’s avatar

hey wololo i need to know how to put the games on deadalus64?? plzz help me

1. Empirix’s avatar

Rom folder in the INSTALL.zip, just place in the roms

18. quetz’s avatar

Thank you Wololo for the new VHBL, i now tested with snes9x and some rom, works great!! Really amazing ;) Waiting for some new cool homebrews now ;)

19. Puraanima’s avatar

hi,got a little trouble,can someone say me how to put books in my psv to read them with bookr,i’m newbie,so waiting for your help)

1. SSJ-Vita’s avatar

Yeah to put books on your bookr they have to be in .pdf first and if you have to get a converter to make it .pdf, you then take the .pdf book and put it in the bookr file where the EBOOT is located, from there you archive it as INSTALL.ZIP under ‘store’ option, place that into your psp savedate folder on your copmputer and vhbl should download the homebrew within the ps vitas vhbl ->save data<- option on the handheld.

20. Austin’s avatar

Hey wololo im having problems installing homebrews, was wondering if u could post a video or tell me how im really lost.

21. Adin’s avatar

Where can you download the source for Monster Hunter FReedom Unite VHBL?

1. wololo’s avatar

I will upload it in a few hours.

22. ilocos boy’s avatar

Sir, wololo please tell us step by step on how to use and add games using the VHBL thank you once again hope to see your reply soon

23. dude’s avatar

Has sony patched the game or can we still buy it from the US store?

1. wololo’s avatar

It still works. I dont know why Sony haven’t taken action in the us store yet.

24. lattymadha’s avatar

Finally Successful. try using PS Vita Homebrew Preparer v0.2 by SiLENTGame. thank you SiLENTGame.
    @wololo how to delete files once it is installed? coz i had a couple of files which were installed during unsuccessful attempts :)
    thank u.

25. lattymadha’s avatar

how to delete roms/homebrew from vhbl?

26. Cyan’s avatar

What happens when a new firmware is released and a new exploit is found that requires a new game? Will we still be able to use our monster hunter game and the newest vhbl or will we continuously need to keep buying psp games that have exploits in them? Is vhbl updated to include the past game exploits but for the current firmware as long as you downloaded the game before it was patched?

27. Miguelcuprum2’s avatar

Ps vita 1.81 update
    Is out tonight does it block mhfu vhbl

28. G’s avatar

With firmware 1.80
    OpenCMA and PSVita are connected.
    After CMA starting of PSVita
    It is return with the PS button.
    The game or PSN of sign-in is started.
    It can sign in and PSN and a PSN connection game are made.

29. Cartavious williams’s avatar

Make vhbl for psp midnight club la remix

30. David’s avatar

Hi, any chance to make VHBL for GTA Chinatown Wars or GTA LCS/VCS?

31. Czx’s avatar

wololo I need your help! my vita version is 1.80 and I have the MonsterHunterP3 ,but i use your VHBL for MHP3.I find it can’t work in my vita,i don’t know why,what can i do that VHBL can work in my vita?
    PS:my SEN is HongKong ,and the MHP3 version is Japinese

wait for your help soon,thank you!

32. Jason’s avatar

Has the hbl ever be on the ps3 at all

33. jake galea’s avatar

Ps vita 1.81 update
    Is out tonight does it block mhfu vhbl

34. wes’s avatar

i wonder why Sony have not patched all the possible exploits.
    Short answer, sales You buy the game,,,they patch the game.
    You buy the game,,they patch the game…………………..

35. gjanko2’s avatar

Is there a way to delete installed VHBL games?

1. Claudio’s avatar

Settings>aplication data management>aditional content psp. Installed games are shown like corrupted content.

36. Ben’s avatar

can you make it work with Killzone liberation cuz i bought it and it suck so make my money worth wil please

1. oreo’s avatar

Why don’t you? And next time look it up before you buy dipshit.

37. luis’s avatar

look wololo is working vhbl but have you stop for a second and say. we doesn’t he try to find a way to get cfw on the vita. with this exploit all your doing is wasting money on a game the you probably you don’t even like and this exploit are just going to keep coming and sony and game developer are going to get money no matter waht because you have to buy it to play emulator and old game for the exploit tha comes out. stop and think. cfw is better ill buy a game for an exploit to get cfw on my vita not to hear the sony patch the eploit with update and i have to buy a new game to get emulator or other things on the vita. think don’t be stupid. cfw best vhbl suck.

1. wololo’s avatar

A CFW was just released last week, maybe you’re the one who forgot to think?

38. EmoteNooBskills’s avatar

does this work on mba?

39. Playstation’s avatar

Well im out of luck… I dont have any of these games (i didnt really know much about the psp games since i dont have one), and im not sure if 1.81 is out anyways :’( im too late,
    and I really wanted Lamecraft

40. Playstation’s avatar

Sorry if I sound stupid im new to homebrew, vhbl, and ps vita news from this website :/

41. zz8boy8zz’s avatar

so good

42. Maris van der velden’s avatar

I cant download because i guess theres a comercial for the link but can someone tell me how to do download it? Ps sorry not english

43. Snake plissken’s avatar

I am able to port a version of gzdoom to this. But only if it was on the current firmware

· 1 · · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 ·