Vita Half-Byte Loader

Heads up! Persona 5 Premium Edition currently up for preorders, might run fast out of stock ($71.99 for Prime members).

What is it?

Vita Half-Byte Loader is a homebrew loader HBL for the Playstation Vita, running through the PSP emulator on the Playstation Vita.
For the latest news about Vita Half Byte Loader, check the VHBL Category on this blog.

Half-Byte Loader (HBL) is an open source Homebrew Loader for the Sony PSP and the PS Vita. It allows to play fan-made games on any PSP and PS Vita. HBL allows to run emulators for the Game Boy, Nintendo 64, Sega Megadrive, NES, Super NES… and many other applications.

Disclaimer

• VHBL does not technically allow you to play any pirated PSP or Vita games.
  • Although VHBL is free and open source, the current version relies on vulnerabilities in specific PSP games that you need to buy from the PSN. VHBL comes with no guarantee, especially I cannot guarantee it will work on your Vita, so remember that you pay for a PSP game, and not for anything else. I do not do refunds for the money you gave to Sony 🙂
  • It is super easy for Sony to patch the vulnerabilities used by this tool, given the amount of control they have on the PS Vita. VHBL runs fine and is extensively tested, but for all I know it is possible for Sony to patch the game’s vulnerability without a firmware update. So, once again, before buying the game and downloading VHBL, you need to understand that you pay for the game, and VHBL is a bonus that might or might not work.

Downloads

The Version of VHBL you need to download depends on the PSP Game you own. Click on the game you own to get redirected to the appropriate download page (the download page of each game also contains installation and usage instructions). Currently, VHBL is available for the following PSP games:

Sony’s strategy so far has been to remove these games from their store, and put them back once the Vita firmware is patched. Most likely, if you didn’t buy the vulnerable game(s) in time, you will not be able to run VHBL. But we are regularly bringing more exploits to VHBL, so stay tuned on this page for further updates.

1. ... says:

Should be able to try the VITA restore

2. You dont need a pirated copy of SC3 for which to load your vhbl…..you need an exploit to load it without breaking the rules. Only when you truly know what your looking for can you begin your path to finding it.

3. Jeez. I cant believe sony is making it so dang tough just so I can download my manga and put them in folders by manga issue. I really dont even mind the whole “no iso, cso” working. I just wanna put some freaking folders in my photo folder. And get bookr on my vita. I likes my translated light novels. Seriously, the vita has really been a step back in my “portable entertainment” experience.

4. Any news on another title support for vhbl? I’ve just found out about this project after a brief search. How can I be in the know as soon as another title is released? Thanks, keep up the good work

5. JoshIsBest says:

Hey Is That true That Ps Vita Will Be Jailbreaked In July??

6. Disaster says:

If we can use C++ to make games?

7. jerry says:

ive been using your expoits since i can remember we need a free exploit like patapon on psp 😀 i work 13 hours a day and i went and bought this vita hoping i could hack it :/// now i have to wait o well keep doing you wololo we as a community apreciate all of you hacker and your hard work peace 😀

8. Alex says:

hello wololo

I would get the game super collapse 3
    To boot unsigned software if you need more information
    Write to me at my email: duran.adalexi.a56@gmail.com

9. Cole says:

any chance we can get a VHBL for the game LBP – PSP version that just came out?

10. Sin says:

i think the developers and hackers are a ways away from “unlocking” the system, if you read what the site offers for vita right now you will see its just taking control of the system to play emulators and other things, but NOT for unlocking demos n games off the PS Network, sooooo ya, you should have a read.

11. tom says:

this might be silly question but does everybodys tennis work on firmware 1.67. because i am on firmware 1.67 and super collapse 3 is not on the ps store in the uk 🙁

12. Henry says:

is there currently anyway to get VHBL through the PS Suite Open Beta tools?

that would be sick
    free VHBL via Dev tools

13. kkhdz says:

is there like an way to create a mailing list (if any) that notifies of of a new game added with out the need to publish it so sony does not know about it until more than 1 business day?

Like the account must be tested blahblahblah like when you join osx86 project for iatkos and other ios ports to PC’s.

im really interested in doing this, and i am quite good programing so if im provided with tools i could help with this

14. BigCockSurprise says:

hey guys, I was wondering how can i get my hands on vhbl for 1.67 if super collapse 3 has been removed from the store? also keep up the good work!

15. plinker says:

I need sms for my vita… need it to keep using a prepaid sim.

16. mirko8054 says:

pls, release the vhbl for 1.69, is there any downgrade tool from 1.69 to 1.61?

17. mirko8054 says:

oh, dear wololo team, i have an idea, so, with opencma, we have the file: psp2-updatelist.xml, we can edit it and config the link that the ps vita read to download the update firmware by using: update from PC, so, wololo team can build an hacked firmware on ps vita, upload it in a link, change the link with the firmware hacked with the original firmware editing the xml file, it’s a good idea??

18. Titan says:

Hey guys. I feel like a total noob asking this, but where is the download for the VHBL zip/rar file that I have to use to actually put VHBL on the Vita itself.

19. jason says:

how are things go wing with VHBL 🙂

20. Imran says:

Kingdom hearts birth by sleep isnt on PSN, I know it says it does not technically allow you to play pirated psp games but is it possible at all?

21. QueenMiwa says:

good news for me, i did’nt have any of the games stated

22. jason says:

that’s way am glad i still have my psp go

23. kaushikdb says:

If there’s a PSP emulator for VITA(which helps loading HBL on Vita) then why can’t one play PSP ISO’s on vita using a ISO loader?

24. Vectorfish says:

Sorry to ask but I’m not sure that I understand it. I got EU version of psv and it has 1.06 firmware. Without system update I can’t get access to PSN (so no way to buy required games; still it seems I won’t find any of them in store because they were taken away long ago). Is there any way to install vhbl to my console or I should update it and wait for next exploit release and get the required game as soon as possible?

• wololo says:

Do not update if you don’t need to.
      In other words, if VHBL is what you’re after, wait until you have some kind of confirmation that updating will give you that.

Other than this detail on “when” you should update, yeah, your only chance for now is to wait for the next exploit to be announced.

25. gabo says:

so are you looking for more vita’s exploits? or there are exploits founded? if there are exploits why there’s not a vhbl running right now at my vita’s 1.69 OFW? if there’s no, why don’t you make a videotutorial about how to shearch exploits on vita so then we all can help you? Thanks

26. Max says:

Can VHBL work on Dissida 012 if i tried it?

27. LUIS says:

IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN BACK MY GAMES UP IN MY MEMORY CARD SO I DONT HAVE TO CARRY THEM WITH ME WHEN I GO OUT ?

28. UnderPrivlidged says:

With homebrew loading, you say it is only PSP homebrews, yes? Any knowledge on Vita specific homebrew? Or plans on bringing Wagic?
    Speaking of, thanks for WTH! So many hours spent enjoying that on PSP, android, and PC. Keep up the good work.
    As for the Vita, any personal thoughts its unique features and their use in a HB or CFW add-in?

29. dreambug says:

heh.. i got my 3000 sold away just to grab one of these VITAmins, and now my homebrewed brain can not stay satisfied with one or two PSNs dns.. 🙁

30. edgar says:

Is there a way to get a exploit into urbanix?

-and how can you regonise a exploit, will you get black screen? or what?

31. James Way says:

Question about the vita. If you look at the back side of the vita, it is also upright, right about the small screw between the headphone and usb ports, there is a small rectangular thing. What is this?

• wololo says:

Wild guess here: the mic maybe?

• James Way says:

I thought that too, but it is not an opening. I know the vita has a built in Mic somewhere on the bottom of it, but looking at other electronic devices, the mic is usually a pin sized hole for pickup. I was always hopeful that the vita would come with IR, but it would be stupid to have the ir facing the user when he wants to control devices in front of him. Still may be the mic, but I was curious. I checked tons of sites where they point out all the ports and buttons and this and that, but none point out what that is.

• James Way says:

Not the mic. It has a membrane over it. I blocked it and recorded myself blocking it and not blocking it and there was no difference to the recorded audio. I am so frigging curious. I might take the vita apart just to find out.

32. hardgamer says:

can u give us any possible date when the 1.69 vhbl firmware coming out

33. Sonyrebel22 says:

People were saying that it was coming out today (8/7) but it’s not out so its still unknown

34. Deva says:

Hi Wololo,

I don’t own any of those games you mentioned above. so, can I still use it on my PSV?

35. Th0rtheg0d says:

I can’t wait for PSV 1.80 to come out so this can be updated =] How long after the release do you think it will take to update VHBL?

36. oartalk says:

i am, interested in playing, Super Mario 64, on the psvita, with the screen-view, 4 by 3, or square like, as it, is, on the regular console. is the psvita, a good choice?

37. jason says:

i no this seem strange thing to ask but eny 1 no wot the socket on the top of the vita next to the game port is for

38. Georg says:

what should i do if i have the update version 1.69 on the psvita and how should i crack it????

1. June 1, 2012

[…] need one of the exploitable games (we’ll release new ones soon enough) in order to run HBL.Download VHBL here3. Open CMAStill need to introduce this? Open CMA is Virtuous Flame’s tool that allows you to […]

2. June 13, 2012

[…] Custom FirmwareVita CFW?Half-Byte LoaderVHBLWagic/Talk ForumsDownloadsContactVHBL Contest: 167$ to win!Subscribe to […]