Vita Half-Byte Loader

What is it?

Vita Half-Byte Loader is a homebrew loader HBL for the Playstation Vita, running through the PSP emulator on the Playstation Vita.
For the latest news about Vita Half Byte Loader, check the VHBL Category on this blog.

Half-Byte Loader (HBL) is an open source Homebrew Loader for the Sony PSP and the PS Vita. It allows to play fan-made games on any PSP and PS Vita. HBL allows to run emulators for the Game Boy, Nintendo 64, Sega Megadrive, NES, Super NES… and many other applications.

Disclaimer

• VHBL does not technically allow you to play any pirated PSP or Vita games.
  • Although VHBL is free and open source, the current version relies on vulnerabilities in specific PSP games that you need to buy from the PSN. VHBL comes with no guarantee, especially I cannot guarantee it will work on your Vita, so remember that you pay for a PSP game, and not for anything else. I do not do refunds for the money you gave to Sony :)
  • It is super easy for Sony to patch the vulnerabilities used by this tool, given the amount of control they have on the PS Vita. VHBL runs fine and is extensively tested, but for all I know it is possible for Sony to patch the game’s vulnerability without a firmware update. So, once again, before buying the game and downloading VHBL, you need to understand that you pay for the game, and VHBL is a bonus that might or might not work. Easter Egg: 6NH7-M5NJ-359B

Downloads

The Version of VHBL you need to download depends on the PSP Game you own. Click on the game you own to get redirected to the appropriate download page (the download page of each game also contains installation and usage instructions). Currently, VHBL is available for the following PSP games:

Sony’s strategy so far has been to remove these games from their store, and put them back once the Vita firmware is patched. Most likely, if you didn’t buy the vulnerable game(s) in time, you will not be able to run VHBL. But we are regularly bringing more exploits to VHBL, so stay tuned on this page for further updates.

1. QueenMiwa’s avatar

good news for me, i did’nt have any of the games stated

2. jason’s avatar

that’s way am glad i still have my psp go

3. kaushikdb’s avatar

If there’s a PSP emulator for VITA(which helps loading HBL on Vita) then why can’t one play PSP ISO’s on vita using a ISO loader?

1. wololo’s avatar

It’s technically possible if we get a psp kernel exploit, see http://wololo.net/2012/05/19/psx-games-running-on-the-ps-vita-through-a-hack/

2. MAXIMOELITE3’s avatar

Because currently there is no legal way for sony to get rid of vhbl because vhbl is legal until somebody starts putting psp iso loaders on vhbl. Which will give them the legal back-up to call vhbl illegal. No other company would do it, especially Nintendo. If Nintendo actually cared about the money they’re losing by letting gba & N64 emulators out there it would be gone in a second except for those who already have it. Hell the wii has a homwbrew & Nintendo ain’t doin shit about it

1. Exitus’s avatar

Wrong. Nintendo has tried to stop hackers from modding the 3DS and Wii more than once but guess what, there are a lot of hackers and many of them are incredibly talented (hell, Nintendo even designed the 3DS to be unhackable. We all know how that played out). This wouldn’t be so much of a problem were it not for those greedy little bastards pirating the shit out of these consoles.

As much as I respect hackers such as Wololo for propagating their work, most people just use their methods for piracy. And that disgusts me.

4. Vectorfish’s avatar

Sorry to ask but I’m not sure that I understand it. I got EU version of psv and it has 1.06 firmware. Without system update I can’t get access to PSN (so no way to buy required games; still it seems I won’t find any of them in store because they were taken away long ago). Is there any way to install vhbl to my console or I should update it and wait for next exploit release and get the required game as soon as possible?

1. wololo’s avatar

Do not update if you don’t need to.
      In other words, if VHBL is what you’re after, wait until you have some kind of confirmation that updating will give you that.

Other than this detail on “when” you should update, yeah, your only chance for now is to wait for the next exploit to be announced.

1. Vectorfish’s avatar

Thank you, I’ll wait then.

5. gabo’s avatar

so are you looking for more vita’s exploits? or there are exploits founded? if there are exploits why there’s not a vhbl running right now at my vita’s 1.69 OFW? if there’s no, why don’t you make a videotutorial about how to shearch exploits on vita so then we all can help you? Thanks

6. Max’s avatar

Can VHBL work on Dissida 012 if i tried it?

7. LUIS’s avatar

IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN BACK MY GAMES UP IN MY MEMORY CARD SO I DONT HAVE TO CARRY THEM WITH ME WHEN I GO OUT ?

8. UnderPrivlidged’s avatar

With homebrew loading, you say it is only PSP homebrews, yes? Any knowledge on Vita specific homebrew? Or plans on bringing Wagic?
    Speaking of, thanks for WTH! So many hours spent enjoying that on PSP, android, and PC. Keep up the good work.
    As for the Vita, any personal thoughts its unique features and their use in a HB or CFW add-in?

9. dreambug’s avatar

heh.. i got my 3000 sold away just to grab one of these VITAmins, and now my homebrewed brain can not stay satisfied with one or two PSNs dns.. :(

10. edgar’s avatar

Is there a way to get a exploit into urbanix?

-and how can you regonise a exploit, will you get black screen? or what?

1. wololo’s avatar

How to look for and recognize exploits is explained here: http://wololo.net/2009/03/11/finding-gamesaves-exploits-on-the-psp/

11. James Way’s avatar

Question about the vita. If you look at the back side of the vita, it is also upright, right about the small screw between the headphone and usb ports, there is a small rectangular thing. What is this?

1. wololo’s avatar

Wild guess here: the mic maybe?

1. James Way’s avatar

I thought that too, but it is not an opening. I know the vita has a built in Mic somewhere on the bottom of it, but looking at other electronic devices, the mic is usually a pin sized hole for pickup. I was always hopeful that the vita would come with IR, but it would be stupid to have the ir facing the user when he wants to control devices in front of him. Still may be the mic, but I was curious. I checked tons of sites where they point out all the ports and buttons and this and that, but none point out what that is.

1. James Way’s avatar

Not the mic. It has a membrane over it. I blocked it and recorded myself blocking it and not blocking it and there was no difference to the recorded audio. I am so frigging curious. I might take the vita apart just to find out.

1. wololo’s avatar

Now I’m curious too…

2. Empirix’s avatar

It could quite possibly be something to do with the memory card

12. hardgamer’s avatar

can u give us any possible date when the 1.69 vhbl firmware coming out

1. wololo’s avatar

We are waiting for firmware 1.80. Can you give me a possible date when Firmware 1.80 is coming out?

13. Sonyrebel22’s avatar

People were saying that it was coming out today (8/7) but it’s not out so its still unknown

14. Deva’s avatar

Hi Wololo,

I don’t own any of those games you mentioned above. so, can I still use it on my PSV?

1. wololo’s avatar

No. Stay tuned for the next release.

15. Th0rtheg0d’s avatar

I can’t wait for PSV 1.80 to come out so this can be updated =] How long after the release do you think it will take to update VHBL?

16. oartalk’s avatar

i am, interested in playing, Super Mario 64, on the psvita, with the screen-view, 4 by 3, or square like, as it, is, on the regular console. is the psvita, a good choice?

1. wololo’s avatar

No. The n64 emulator is not stable enough.

1. oartalk’s avatar

Thank you.

17. jason’s avatar

i no this seem strange thing to ask but eny 1 no wot the socket on the top of the vita next to the game port is for

18. Georg’s avatar

what should i do if i have the update version 1.69 on the psvita and how should i crack it????

19. MuhdSyahmi_’s avatar

Shit i dont have any of those games

20. Th0rtheg0d’s avatar

Any word on the release date to 1.80?

21. Tobuscus’s avatar

i dont get it so you need one of those psp games to run vhbl >.>

22. Reinechau’s avatar

So basically we can’t use vhbl if we do not have one of those games?

23. Alex’s avatar

Hey, can anyone tell me please is there going to be full jailbreak for ps vita 1.69?
    Please write on my e-mail. THX :D

24. Th0rtheg0d’s avatar

So I heard that the PSVita Version of little big planet will be running 1.80 so that means it has to be out before September 25.

25. kaas332’s avatar

i read somewhere that 1.8 will be coming on the 28th of august on a few different sources

26. Empirix’s avatar

Is there a way to backdate everybody’s tennis?

27. Empirix’s avatar

Not Tennis Sorry, The PSVita Firmware. I own everybody’s tennis but my firmware is 1.6. I cannot buy super collapse because I live in Britain. Help!

1. Th0rtheg0d’s avatar

it is impossible as of now. wait for the 1.80 firmware and a new update on this. =P

28. hardgamer’s avatar

wololo your testing my patience man im waiting, I’ve been waiting for 2 months man.

1. cormin’s avatar

let the man do his work.. he’s doing this for you completely free.. its mostly sony he’s waiting on, he releases at the right times so its best for most people

29. rzrvk’s avatar

I just wanna play LEGACY OF KAIN: SOUL REAVER on my vita.. :(

30. Th0rtheg0d’s avatar

Guys thats not going to make anything go faster. want an update make sony come out with 1.80. lol

31. Jason’s avatar

Nice 1.80 is out but you still can’t ues ps1 games lol seems thay for got to add the ps1part lol

32. jason’s avatar

NM i see it’s to morrow that they come out

33. Randy is pseudo’s avatar

still waiting on wololo for the ok

34. trey’s avatar

1.8 is out. What is the name of the game?

35. oreo’s avatar

No new game?

36. rzrvk’s avatar

1.8 update……. what next?

37. Juandevry@yaoo.com’s avatar

Wow… I managed to buy 2 vita’s back when everybody tennis was available for a time frame of 8 hours(UK Version – I live in California) I didn’t know how many requests are now out there! Darn.. Thanks again Wololo and all the devs out there for your hard work!

38. Jason’s avatar

I hope you find a beter way to run vhbl

39. NinjaKakashi’s avatar

Love the work your doing keep it up… I want to hack my psvita because my psp go with hbl on it stopped charging for some reason and I wanna play GBA Pokemon hacked games on my vita:) I do own the original ROM’s so I’m not a sexy pirate:)

40. mirko8054’s avatar

Hi wololo, when 1.80 VHBL can be released?
    If you don’t want answear me pls give me the name of the game to do the VHBL..

41. xkayaky’s avatar

hargh !

42. gabo’s avatar

c’mon wololo yo have been anounced the vhbl science the 1.69 release thats kinda 5 months so please dom make us all being waiting so much :l pleaseeee pleaaaseee i know yo cant give us a name for the game but you could always say us if it’s free or not

43. Rgangsta’s avatar

Leave wololo alone. I dont see you guys making a version of vhbl. Let him work a his own pace.

1. NinjaKakashi’s avatar

Yes wololo is awesome and has probably put a lot of the work into this but honestly if I had the time to learn how(I know probably years I’ve never even properly looked into hacking)to make VHBL I would and I think many others possibly would but definitely let him work at his own pace…

44. NinjaKakashi’s avatar

haha he has already made it but maybe members of this website already have it but what if a employee of sony got himself to be a member wouldn’t all of us suffer? How do we join i better check XD

45. AkaTensi’s avatar

When VHBL will release for 1.8?
    I’m really want it!

46. Darkanubis74’s avatar

It would be prudent for anyone wanting information to join /talk. and remember to thank the devs when you get what you want

47. Jordan’s avatar

At least someone is paying attention to the vita!
    AWESOME!

48. Joe’s avatar

kids nowaday really has no patience and let the man do his thing lol

49. Greg’s avatar

thx for the game W it works nice though the psp jailbreak even with 1.8 update. u rock!

· 1 · · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · · 12 ·