Vita Half-Byte Loader

Heads up! Persona 5 Premium Edition currently up for preorders, might run fast out of stock ($71.99 for Prime members).

What is it?

Vita Half-Byte Loader is a homebrew loader HBL for the Playstation Vita, running through the PSP emulator on the Playstation Vita.
For the latest news about Vita Half Byte Loader, check the VHBL Category on this blog.

Half-Byte Loader (HBL) is an open source Homebrew Loader for the Sony PSP and the PS Vita. It allows to play fan-made games on any PSP and PS Vita. HBL allows to run emulators for the Game Boy, Nintendo 64, Sega Megadrive, NES, Super NES… and many other applications.

Disclaimer

• VHBL does not technically allow you to play any pirated PSP or Vita games.
  • Although VHBL is free and open source, the current version relies on vulnerabilities in specific PSP games that you need to buy from the PSN. VHBL comes with no guarantee, especially I cannot guarantee it will work on your Vita, so remember that you pay for a PSP game, and not for anything else. I do not do refunds for the money you gave to Sony 🙂
  • It is super easy for Sony to patch the vulnerabilities used by this tool, given the amount of control they have on the PS Vita. VHBL runs fine and is extensively tested, but for all I know it is possible for Sony to patch the game’s vulnerability without a firmware update. So, once again, before buying the game and downloading VHBL, you need to understand that you pay for the game, and VHBL is a bonus that might or might not work.

Downloads

The Version of VHBL you need to download depends on the PSP Game you own. Click on the game you own to get redirected to the appropriate download page (the download page of each game also contains installation and usage instructions). Currently, VHBL is available for the following PSP games:

Sony’s strategy so far has been to remove these games from their store, and put them back once the Vita firmware is patched. Most likely, if you didn’t buy the vulnerable game(s) in time, you will not be able to run VHBL. But we are regularly bringing more exploits to VHBL, so stay tuned on this page for further updates.

1. Th0rtheg0d says:

Any word on the release date to 1.80?

2. Tobuscus says:

i dont get it so you need one of those psp games to run vhbl >.>

3. Reinechau says:

So basically we can’t use vhbl if we do not have one of those games?

4. Alex says:

Hey, can anyone tell me please is there going to be full jailbreak for ps vita 1.69?
    Please write on my e-mail. THX 😀

5. Th0rtheg0d says:

So I heard that the PSVita Version of little big planet will be running 1.80 so that means it has to be out before September 25.

6. kaas332 says:

i read somewhere that 1.8 will be coming on the 28th of august on a few different sources

7. Empirix says:

Is there a way to backdate everybody’s tennis?

8. Empirix says:

Not Tennis Sorry, The PSVita Firmware. I own everybody’s tennis but my firmware is 1.6. I cannot buy super collapse because I live in Britain. Help!

9. hardgamer says:

wololo your testing my patience man im waiting, I’ve been waiting for 2 months man.

• cormin says:

let the man do his work.. he’s doing this for you completely free.. its mostly sony he’s waiting on, he releases at the right times so its best for most people

10. rzrvk says:

I just wanna play LEGACY OF KAIN: SOUL REAVER on my vita.. 🙁

11. Th0rtheg0d says:

Guys thats not going to make anything go faster. want an update make sony come out with 1.80. lol

12. Jason says:

Nice 1.80 is out but you still can’t ues ps1 games lol seems thay for got to add the ps1part lol

13. jason says:

NM i see it’s to morrow that they come out

14. Randy is pseudo says:

still waiting on wololo for the ok

15. trey says:

1.8 is out. What is the name of the game?

16. oreo says:

No new game?

17. rzrvk says:

1.8 update……. what next?

18. Wow… I managed to buy 2 vita’s back when everybody tennis was available for a time frame of 8 hours(UK Version – I live in California) I didn’t know how many requests are now out there! Darn.. Thanks again Wololo and all the devs out there for your hard work!

19. Jason says:

I hope you find a beter way to run vhbl

20. mirko8054 says:

Hi wololo, when 1.80 VHBL can be released?
    If you don’t want answear me pls give me the name of the game to do the VHBL..

21. gabo says:

c’mon wololo yo have been anounced the vhbl science the 1.69 release thats kinda 5 months so please dom make us all being waiting so much :l pleaseeee pleaaaseee i know yo cant give us a name for the game but you could always say us if it’s free or not

22. Rgangsta says:

Leave wololo alone. I dont see you guys making a version of vhbl. Let him work a his own pace.

• NinjaKakashi says:

Yes wololo is awesome and has probably put a lot of the work into this but honestly if I had the time to learn how(I know probably years I’ve never even properly looked into hacking)to make VHBL I would and I think many others possibly would but definitely let him work at his own pace…

23. NinjaKakashi says:

haha he has already made it but maybe members of this website already have it but what if a employee of sony got himself to be a member wouldn’t all of us suffer? How do we join i better check XD

24. AkaTensi says:

When VHBL will release for 1.8?
    I’m really want it!

25. Darkanubis74 says:

It would be prudent for anyone wanting information to join /talk. and remember to thank the devs when you get what you want

26. Jordan says:

At least someone is paying attention to the vita!
    AWESOME!

27. Joe says:

kids nowaday really has no patience and let the man do his thing lol

28. Greg says:

thx for the game W it works nice though the psp jailbreak even with 1.8 update. u rock!

29. jason says:

??? sow wot happening with vhbl

30. jdubs says:

Wol is waiting to release VHBL until his public release of the exploited game. Should be soon.

31. Jason says:

Cat wat he dos some grat work

32. random says:

Great, I know which game it is but I don’t know how to install the VHBL xD.

PS: Don’t ask me, won’t spread it.

33. quetz says:

i’m actually confused about what to do… i love monster hunter freedom unite, but i played for very long time into my psp.. at this point of vhbl nothing serious for my ps vita it’s made yet, and, i really don’t see how this vhbl could be found so interesting if not for developers trying to make the match goal. that’s why i think i’ll pass this time. since vhbl can’t run psp games, i think i’m going to pass. and like me other thous of guys. my best wishes is to see soon announced a psvloader into psv kernel, or a good made psp iso launcher into vhbl. that would be amazing value for the ps vita scene, and users like me would’t wait a sec more to hack their vita 😉

• Empirix says:

So pirating eh? This is why sony want to take VHBL Down, because they want to stop it before pirating with it happens. There may not be another VHBL If people think like this.

• quetz says:

you’re right! but what can i do? this is my opinion, and like me lot people want to see this coming.. and even without piracy, believe me, sony would like to shut VHBL down anyway. i trust that might be coming out some other interesting homebrew, such as cool emulators, not only psp isoloader. but that is number 1 😉 and even if wololo wont work on it, surely someone else is doing that right now, and someway and somewhen will be out you know..

• Empirix says:

Maybe so, but still, the main reason Sony wants VHBL gone for good is chance of piracy. If there is no piracy on the platform in the near future, then they won’t care about taking it down. There is no excuse for Pirating (Except older games) and there never will be.

34. Fabian says:

when comes the vhbl for monster hunter united??!!!?!

• wololo says:

Seriously dude, stop, you’re getting on my nerves

• nCadeRegal says:

Tell me about it wololo, he leaked the game 2 days before your front page post. I tried to get the attention of the mods but by the time i did you had already released it publicly. I was just browsing the forums and came across it. Unlike him i respect you and all that you do for the scene. I bow to you my friend, you and your site are awesome. Keep up the good work. I cant wait to see what the future holds for us!

35. Empirix says:

Game: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
    Files download: Soon
    To get prepared though, install open CMA So you can Open CMA With no internet, helping your chances of it working.

36. SMOKE says:

I’ve had the game a couple days now, got bored, tried playing it, failed, waiting for files to play SNES games lol

1. August 30, 2012

[…] on Aug 30, 2012 in Action | 0 comments So, how cool is that? Less than 48 hours after we thought VHBL was locked out for good, we’re back on our […]