Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[SOLVED] Micro-USB/Type-C Port Mod for Vita PSVita 1000

You have questions and can't find another subforum to ask? Go here
PhdInLearningCurves

[SOLVED] Micro-USB/Type-C Port Mod for Vita PSVita 1000

Post by PhdInLearningCurves » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:11 am

The project is complete. USB-C is functional only at USB 2.0 speeds.
Notes: You NEED 2, 5.1k pull-down resistors. 1 must go between CC1 <-> GND, 1 must go between CC2 <-> GND. [DO NOT CONNECT THESE TO EACH OTHER IN ANY WAY] (Yes, even though there will be nothing connected to CC1/CC2 you NEED to have these resistors. Simply put, as part of USB Type-C/3.0 requirements these resistors are needed so that devices communicate which is the host and which is pulling even on devices only using 2.0 pins.)
In other words, I highly recommend getting a breakout board with 5.1k resistors already on CC1 and CC2.

HOTGLUE HOTGLUE HOTGLUE
Did you get a good solder to VCC/D+/D-? Hotglue it to protect it from you accidentally ripping the smds/pads. You'll thank yourself for this.

GET A MICROSCOPE! Believe me, I used to solder everything by eye and would hardly ever use a magnifying glass. However, VCC, D+/D- are all EXTREMELY MICROSCOPIC and EASILY TEAR from the SLIGHTEST TOUCH. Don't risk losing a board because of overconfidence. I say this because it happened to me and I had to buy a new board. A decent microscope is ~$60 or less, mine cost $60 and has some extra features. Remember, you only need it to get the job done, so if it has the magnification to see those pads and a light then it'll work. A replacement Vita motherboard will cost you from $30~60 not including the month it will likely take to ship to your doorstep.

Again, don't risk it. It's not worth your time to waste a board. I wish I knew that from the start.

Get some 36 AWG wire if you can, 30 AWG is doable, but is harder to manage and is harder on the solder points.
VitaUsbCMod2.jpg
VitaUsbCMod2.jpg (76.98 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
VitaUsbCMod4.jpg
VitaUsbCMod4.jpg (99.87 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
VitaUsbCMod3.jpg
VitaUsbCMod3.jpg (111.4 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
As far as what's next for me, I'm going to try my hand at adding a USB Type-A port via the 3G/Mini-PCI-E port for flash drives.
Original post below:
Original Post
Hello all,

To be brief I am in the process of modding my Vita to add a USB Type-C port instead of the microUSB mods that I have seen. Technically speaking on paper there should be no problem with this as Type-C is backwards compatible. You simply just need to wire only VBUS, D+, D-, and GND and you wouldn't use CC1/CC2. However, I've hit a snag in my process, it may be possible that I've damaged a fuse on the board?. I'll try and break all my problems down into key points:
  • What gauge wire is used for this and what is a good supplier that ships/sells it to the US? I only have 30 AWG on hand (one is a solid wire, other is threaded) neither of mine seem to be thin enough to get a proper solder. I managed to read somewhere that 36 AWG is used, but Amazon only goes up to 36 AWG and I can't find and 36AWG that is is both solid wire and coated.
  • Do I really need pull-up/pull-down resistors on CC1/CC2 pins of my Type-C connectors? I have two Type-C breakout boards. One features the 5.1K ohms resistors already in place. It also has a nice pinout already in line for easier/quicker solderin. The other breakout board has none and is significantly thinner/easier to place. So far I have only used the one with resistors for safe testing.
  • Is it possible to have stripped the pads on the microchip/alternate solder points used for D+/D- on the Vita motherboard? I could not get anything to stick while soldering and recently ordered a smaller microscope that will be here in a day or two in order to verify. I eventually opted to solder directly to the multi-use/charging port pins and it was much easier. On that note...
  • My Vita no longer charges even using the normal port after soldering. It still turns on and everything else appears to work, but I'll have to go back with my microscope to check for possible bridging as I think that may be the issue? I am also concerned that it is a possibility the fuse labeled "SB" was damaged where you connect V+/VBus to. If so what is the actual module name so I can desolder and replace it?
I'm not the best with a soldering iron, but I wouldn't say I'm a beginner either. I still have a lot to learn (obviously) and I'd like to learn more about this. This is the smallest device I've worked on so it's hard for me to troubleshoot and figure out what's going wrong or what should be done. I've worked on modding other devices before usually just modchips though, so I'm kinda new to microsoldering. I use a Hakko FX888D with seemingly the smallest tips I can find and the seem to be just small enough, but maybe there is something smaller and more suited for the job? I'll post pics when I get the chance, atm I have a lot of flux to clean before I can get a good pic (non-corrosive, used it on plenty of other projects with no ill-effects).

I know this is a lot of questions to process, but please help where possible, any help is appreciated.

The USB-C breakout boards being used:
Image - No pull-down resistors
Image - With pull-down/up resistors

Reference images I've been using for pinouts: Image
Advertising
Last edited by PhdInLearningCurves on Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

niklg3

Re: [OPEN] Micro-USB/Type-C Port Mod for Vita PSVita 1000

Post by niklg3 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:04 pm

from the photos everything looks ok, I don't understand why you want to change USB, the job is done well I'm sorry it doesn't charge the battery.
data is transferred?
is detected by the computer?
if you connect USB of the "life" have you checked if there is power in the USBc socket?
Advertising

PhdInLearningCurves

Post by PhdInLearningCurves » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:26 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding, those images are not mine. They are of someone else's mod. I can not take an accurate picture right now until I get a proper microscope.

PhdInLearningCurves

Post by PhdInLearningCurves » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:55 pm

I got my new microscope today, I de-soldered everything to take pics, pins seem to be fine. However, it does look like I may have at least torn the pads on the D+/D- module. It looks like there is still some solder/a connection at the bottom of the module though so I will try and solder to that if possible.:
D+/D-
[spoiler] Image [/spoiler]

Pins on charging port:
[spoiler] Image [/spoiler]

I'm not sure why the second pic came out so bad. I'll try and re-solder then give an update as soon as I get the chance.

PhdInLearningCurves

Post by PhdInLearningCurves » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:22 pm

Update:
Good news: I got some 36 AWG wire and was able to get an a good solder on the D+/D- points and the VBUS. This was much easier with a good microscope (highly recommended)

Bad News: It still will not charge from either port meaning that I likely damaged the VBUS or D+/D- components. It still turns on though and everything else works like it's supposed to.

I've ordered a replacement 3G motherboard and I will post more when that arrives.

PhdInLearningCurves

Post by PhdInLearningCurves » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:37 am

*IT WORKS*
kinda

So I got a new motherboard, set everything back up, and did a better soldering job and it CHARGES from the USB-C port. However, it only charges in certain positions (this may be a wiring problem?). The normal charger still works as well.
VitaUsbCMod1.jpg
VitaUsbCMod1.jpg (65.91 KiB) Viewed 4457 times

PhdInLearningCurves

Post by PhdInLearningCurves » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:14 pm

I have finally finished the USB-C Mod, It charges AND can transfer Data like the original MicroUSB mod/Original Cable. I had to re-solder the wires to my pin headers, they didn't have a good solder.
VitaUsbCMod4.jpg
VitaUsbCMod4.jpg (99.87 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
VitaUsbCMod3.jpg
VitaUsbCMod3.jpg (111.4 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
Goodbye 2013 proprietary scam cables, welcome 2020 universal cables.
VitaUsbCMod2.jpg
VitaUsbCMod2.jpg (76.98 KiB) Viewed 4010 times

Return to “Support”