Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] PSPVice 3.2 (C64 emulator)

Running old school games on your PSP? It's definitely possible
rsn8887

Re: [RELEASE] PSPVice 3.2 (C64 emulator)

Post by rsn8887 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Some more thoughts on this version:

- Sam's Journey original rom loads fine (!). This didn't work on version 2.
- However, even for Vice version 2, the developers of Sam's Journey recently published an updated rom that uses a compatible module format for the C64-Mini. This version works fine on the old vice 2 psp also. It doesn't support saves, but the emulator has save states.
- The new default palette in Vice 3.2 is different, much worse. In version 2, the hard-coded default was pepto-pal, which is nice and saturated (deep red, deep blue etc.). Now the palette is washed out, too bright, almost looks like highlighter colors (neon yellow etc.). The palette cannot be changed in the psp port. There are several .vpl palette files in the C64 folder, but they are never loaded in.
- Otherwise it ran everything I threw at it.

I will use the older version for now because of the palette issue, but I am very happy that a new version exists now. Once I get the sdk setup again, I might be able to make some contributions (palette change, sid model selection etc.). The menu system seems very easy to understand and flexible, so adding many more options should not be a problem.
Advertising

rsn8887

Re: [RELEASE] PSPVice 3.2 (C64 emulator)

Post by rsn8887 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:45 am

To improve this emulator further, I added the palette option and the sound chip model option. I think it looks much better with the palette set to pepto-pal. Modern games like Sam's Journey that are designed for the newer SID chip sound better with the chip model set to 8580 and sound engine set to ReSID.

I bumped the version number to 3.2.4 to indicate the changes.

Download binary and source code:
https://github.com/rsn8887/pspvice/releases/latest

All the changes I made to DelayedQuasar's release are contained in this single commit on Github:
https://github.com/rsn8887/pspvice/comm ... f41e6e6a2c

Changelog:

- add SID model option with two choices: 6581, and 8580.
- add palette option with three choices: none (vice palette), pepto-pal, and colodore.

Advertising

Return to “Emulators”