Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

About Redump Preservation Project - Asking for help for new dumping tool

Underground PS3 information and discussions
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
Post Reply
diego-rbb-93
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 am

About Redump Preservation Project - Asking for help for new dumping tool

Post by diego-rbb-93 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:37 am

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for your work, first is first. My name is Diego and im a dumper from the Redump Preservation Project.

We are actually starting to promote new dumpers to add more entries to out website and start pushing the PS3 Bluray complete collection.

As you can see here, out method to make sure that we take all the data from the BD is a bit complex for casual users as OtherOS is needed:

http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title= ... ping_Guide

My question is, do you think theres a way to implement or write any kind of software to make things easier (like a simple tool for dumping or implement any option to take out the metadata from the proper CFW)? Thank you so much for you atention!

I already asked Rebug team on his website, but who knows if they are still active. Anyway, if at least you could show me where to ask this, i would apreciate too guys,
Advertising

User avatar
PixelButts
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:12 am

Re: About Redump Preservation Project - Asking for help for new dumping tool

Post by PixelButts » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 am

The easy way that preserves quality of the disc integrity with a dump is buy a DECHA00A, throw D-REX rebug on there (and multiman) and dump as ISO then FTP the results to the PC. This allows one to bypass the need for 3k3y or any weird filesplitting.
I say DECHA00A because it's just an inherently good model, DECHA, DECHJ, DECH2000A, DECH2500A are all acceptable as well as their variants. DECH3000A, DECH4000AA, DECH4200AA are unable to be modded and therefore are bad. DECR systems are also acceptable but these have odd quirks that you'd only notice if you regularly do this stuff so I dont suggest them but if you want to then by all means.

Additionally, there are certain aspects of non-finalized PS3 discs that one should note too, and that is they don't need 3key or a PS3 to rip and decrypt them. Unfortunately this comes at the cost of dumping via IMGburn (or other medium) THEN decrypting with the SDK tools, or decrypt directly to loose files (which destroys mastering information). Ripping a non-finalized PS3 disc with IMGburn (or other software) is perfectly acceptable as the end result is an ISO that would be generated by said tools themselves, so an encrypted ISO is realistically the most 1:1 result of a disc even though you'd have to take another step to decrypt it (which isn't really that bad or hard).

Would you like me to explain anything else or are you satisfied with that explanation? I know there are other options if need be but that's if you want to hear them.
Advertising

LimeInTheCoconut
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:07 am

Re: About Redump Preservation Project - Asking for help for new dumping tool

Post by LimeInTheCoconut » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:29 am

PixelButts wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 am
buy a DECHA00A
Are there any good places to get a hold of one of these outside of ebay? I'm not a big fan of ebay...

diego-rbb-93
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 am

Re: About Redump Preservation Project - Asking for help for new dumping tool

Post by diego-rbb-93 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:43 am

PixelButts wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 am
The easy way that preserves quality of the disc integrity with a dump is buy a DECHA00A, throw D-REX rebug on there (and multiman) and dump as ISO then FTP the results to the PC. This allows one to bypass the need for 3k3y or any weird filesplitting.
I say DECHA00A because it's just an inherently good model, DECHA, DECHJ, DECH2000A, DECH2500A are all acceptable as well as their variants. DECH3000A, DECH4000AA, DECH4200AA are unable to be modded and therefore are bad. DECR systems are also acceptable but these have odd quirks that you'd only notice if you regularly do this stuff so I dont suggest them but if you want to then by all means.

Additionally, there are certain aspects of non-finalized PS3 discs that one should note too, and that is they don't need 3key or a PS3 to rip and decrypt them. Unfortunately this comes at the cost of dumping via IMGburn (or other medium) THEN decrypting with the SDK tools, or decrypt directly to loose files (which destroys mastering information). Ripping a non-finalized PS3 disc with IMGburn (or other software) is perfectly acceptable as the end result is an ISO that would be generated by said tools themselves, so an encrypted ISO is realistically the most 1:1 result of a disc even though you'd have to take another step to decrypt it (which isn't really that bad or hard).

Would you like me to explain anything else or are you satisfied with that explanation? I know there are other options if need be but that's if you want to hear them.
Thank you PixelButts for all the details and for taking the time to respond.

Although I understand and agree that a DECH would be the best / easiest option, in order to lure more people into preservation, we want to make the process as easy as possible. As such, asking a dumper to buy a new console may be overkill in most cases.

The idea is to try to simplify the current process for retail consoles, by eliminating the need of the OtherOS? Would this be feasible?
Is it something that would require additionaly programming? Or can existing tools be used to replace the current process?

If additional programming is required, do you know of anyone with the necessary skills/knowledge that may be interested in helping?

Any and all feedback is welcome.

User avatar
PixelButts
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:12 am

Re: About Redump Preservation Project - Asking for help for new dumping tool

Post by PixelButts » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:14 pm

diego-rbb-93 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:43 am
PixelButts wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 am
The easy way that preserves quality of the disc integrity with a dump is buy a DECHA00A, throw D-REX rebug on there (and multiman) and dump as ISO then FTP the results to the PC. This allows one to bypass the need for 3k3y or any weird filesplitting.
I say DECHA00A because it's just an inherently good model, DECHA, DECHJ, DECH2000A, DECH2500A are all acceptable as well as their variants. DECH3000A, DECH4000AA, DECH4200AA are unable to be modded and therefore are bad. DECR systems are also acceptable but these have odd quirks that you'd only notice if you regularly do this stuff so I dont suggest them but if you want to then by all means.

Additionally, there are certain aspects of non-finalized PS3 discs that one should note too, and that is they don't need 3key or a PS3 to rip and decrypt them. Unfortunately this comes at the cost of dumping via IMGburn (or other medium) THEN decrypting with the SDK tools, or decrypt directly to loose files (which destroys mastering information). Ripping a non-finalized PS3 disc with IMGburn (or other software) is perfectly acceptable as the end result is an ISO that would be generated by said tools themselves, so an encrypted ISO is realistically the most 1:1 result of a disc even though you'd have to take another step to decrypt it (which isn't really that bad or hard).

Would you like me to explain anything else or are you satisfied with that explanation? I know there are other options if need be but that's if you want to hear them.
Thank you PixelButts for all the details and for taking the time to respond.

Although I understand and agree that a DECH would be the best / easiest option, in order to lure more people into preservation, we want to make the process as easy as possible. As such, asking a dumper to buy a new console may be overkill in most cases.

The idea is to try to simplify the current process for retail consoles, by eliminating the need of the OtherOS? Would this be feasible?
Is it something that would require additionaly programming? Or can existing tools be used to replace the current process?

If additional programming is required, do you know of anyone with the necessary skills/knowledge that may be interested in helping?

Any and all feedback is welcome.
So I'll start with the first issue. The console isn't really important, I just find that the lack of needing hardware flashing or any special method to put a DEX system on CFW is far worth the extra money in general, not just for this task.

Second issue I have is the need for 3k3y and the disk_key, disc_id and PIC. Although I understand why the disc_id is needed (and this one can easily be grabbed), the disk_key and PIC I dont overly see the use of due to them being excessive extra info (which for redump may not be as excessive but that's up to you). If you read here http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/Disc_Ident ... ation_Data (PS3 version is not maintained and you are redirected to the PS4 one, both use the same stuff) you can see that the PIC zone is really not that important as far as the set of information goes. The disc key is in a similar boat but only because this information is not as upfront and visible as the other stuff which you can see here http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Bluray_disc#IRD_file all of which can be found in the param.sfo file (except some stuff like the keys and encryption stuff, of which isn't honestly needed).
In short, of the 3 things the dumping guide wants, only 1 really matters because the other 2 are either just held in the param.sfo (and ps3_disc.sfb for part of it) with the PIC being virtually unneeded unless there's a specific thing you need from it. I'm sure if there's something genuinely needed or important in the PIC zone for redump then I can understand.

Additionally the problem I have with the existing dumping guide is that it's rather outdated (for example, enable direct disc access isnt an option anymore, it's just the default). Multiman by default (if cobra is enabled) will dump a decrypted iso which gives access to the param.sfo (which is all the main stuff needed) as well as allow you to hash the iso and get any extra metadata you may need. I've tested this with and without cobra mode. copy to iso is only an option with cobra if you want to use multiman. Other managers may vary (Irisman for example might be useful) but if you just need the iso off the disc then all of it is super easy now.

The third issue I might see is if you're wanting a build date or timestamp with the data. I know there's some ways to get that but I'm honestly not sure if you want to go by the timestamp given by the disc (as in just pop it into a disc imaging tool and check its info) or if you want to go by the data because the data and disc will possibly give different results. I wouldn't know as I've never actually checked that.

Getting a decrypted ISO isn't hard, getting the extra info is also not hard if you look at specific stuff on the disc ISO, so I don't see much reason to have to install OtherOS and run some 3k3y stuff if basically everything is there from the ISO itself. Is there something I'm missing about PIC or the Disc Key?
LimeInTheCoconut wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:29 am
PixelButts wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 am
buy a DECHA00A
Are there any good places to get a hold of one of these outside of ebay? I'm not a big fan of ebay...
Private sale if you can find one. Otherwise ebay.

Post Reply

Return to “Programming & security”