vitaQuakeIII is a port of Quake 3: Arena and Quake 3: Team Arena based on ioquake3 engine.
It's still in current BETA stage so expect bugs and unstable framerate but as of now it's already enjoyable for playing.
I suggest NOT TO MESS UP with Setup menu since the release will have an already tweaked config file that should offer a good framerate without downgrading too much graphics. If you want to change some settings, edit q3config file inside baseq3 folder.
How to use lower resolutions:
To use lower resolutions to improve framerate more, edit in q3config file the r_mode parameter to:
0 = 480x272
1 = 640x368
2 = 720x408
3 = 960x544
DPad or Left Analog = Move character
Right Analog/Touchscreen = Move Camera
L = Aim
R = Shoot
Cross = Jump
Square = Crouch
Circle = Use Item
Triangle = Change in use weapon
Start = Pause
Select = Show Score
How to use full game files:
To use full game files, you'll need data files updated to latest patch available.
Place pk3 files from baseq3 folder to ux0:data/ioq3/baseq3 folder for standard game and pk3 files from missionpack folder to ux0:data/ioq3/missionpack folder for Quake 3: Team Arena.
Regarding OpenArena core:
OpenArena core is highly experimental (even more than Team Arena one) so expect issues on larger scale:
1) It doesn't have dynamic libraries support for QVMs: This means game will have in general lower performances and will use dynarec.
2) Related to dynarec, it is unstable which means you have to expect crashes. You can solve this issue by forcing interpreter instead of dynarec (To do so, edit vm_ui, vm_game and vm_cgame values in ux0:data/openarena/baseoa/q3config.cfg from 0 to 1) but interpreter is A LOT slower than dynarec.
3) By default the core runs at 480x272 resolution. Framerate's already kinda bad but playable on relatively small maps. Increasing it to 960x544 is possible (look up to this post) but not recommended.
4) OpenArena core doesn't use OpenArena engine but still ioquake3 engine. This means some stuffs (especially in the renderer) are missing (eg. the particles renderer).
- Framerate is unstable, especially in Team Arena and OpenArena
- Character model is not properly rendered in Setup submenus
- 3D Icons in the in game HUD get covered from walls sometimes and from player weapon
- Attempting to launch Team Arena in game from Quake III causes a crash (use the Livearea icon)
- ioq3 developers for ioquake3 engine
- fgsfds for helping me implementing dynamic linking for shared libraries
- rsn8887 for the improved analogs sensitivity system
- Ch3lin for the Livearea assets
- All my Patreon supporters:
- Tain Sueiras
- The Vita3K project
- Count Duckula
- Daniel Krusenbaum
- Elwood Blues
- Thomas Würgler
- Eduardo Minguez
- Artūrs Lubāns
- Samuel Batista
- Troy Murray
- Jared Breland
- Lars Zondervan
- Gelson Silva
The Data Files contain the demo version of Quake III already setup to be played, a tweaked q3config file and shared libraries for both Quake III and Quake III: Team Arena. OpenArena full data files are also included.