Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Help - LUA lines

Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
Dman49

Help - LUA lines

Post by Dman49 »

I am trying to figure out how I can use vector lines. What I want to do is have a line (which you can't see) go from the center of one image to the center of another. I then want this line to detect if there is anything in the way of this line. I'll have 1 image attack another, and I want to be able to have it tell if there is a wall or block in the way of his attack.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
Advertising
PSP 3000 PRO-B6 - PSP GO PRO-B6
Creations: BeastieBox (1.3) ; Flat Paintball (1.0) ; HeroClix PSP (unreleased)
Zasisem

Re: Help - LUA lines

Post by Zasisem »

Dman49 wrote:I'll have 1 image attack another, and I want to be able to have it tell if there is a wall or block in the way of his attack.
For this I'm sure I can help you, can you give a bit more detail?
Advertising
cmbeke

Post by cmbeke »

you need to find the equation of the line, and then check for any intersections with walls on any point of the line. check out this for info on how to get the equation of a line with two points, http://www.purplemath.com/modules/strtlneq.htm
You probably didn't know that you don't know that you don't know what you don't know.
I know I'm crazy, the real question is are you?
Life is nothing but discrimination, likes, dislikes, any choice made ... all a product of discrimination.
Dman49

Post by Dman49 »

Zasisem wrote:
Dman49 wrote:I'll have 1 image attack another, and I want to be able to have it tell if there is a wall or block in the way of his attack.
For this I'm sure I can help you, can you give a bit more detail?
I have a grid. two players are on 2 spaces. One of them needs to be able to see the other if he can attack it. I wan't to know if his field of vision to the other player is blocked by a wall or obstruction. So I need to form 1 line from the middle of one player to the middle of the other.
PSP 3000 PRO-B6 - PSP GO PRO-B6
Creations: BeastieBox (1.3) ; Flat Paintball (1.0) ; HeroClix PSP (unreleased)
DianeMarx

Post by DianeMarx »

Thank everyone. I like to visit your forum and find answers to my questions.

Return to “Programming and Security”