Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[NEW] MADrigalPSP: handheld simulators on your PSP!

Running old school games on your PSP? It's definitely possible
hcf

[NEW] MADrigalPSP: handheld simulators on your PSP!

Post by hcf »

This is a new port that I have done for PSP. MADrigalPSP makes possible to play a lot of the "game and watch" handheld simulators developed by Luca "MADrigal" Antignano... in your PSP! It is a standalone emulator based on the "game and watch" Libretro core and the work of Andre Leiradella. As the PSP is a portable machine, the experience is very similar to the original ;)

The emulator can be downloaded here (source code is included in the package):

http://www.filedropper.com/madrigalpspv10

You can see the emulator working in this video:
Currently, 59 games are supported. You don't need to search for "roms", as the games are already included in the emulator.

Big thanks to Luca "MADrigal" Antignano for developing these awesome simulators and giving permission to make this possible; and also big thanks to Andre Leiradella (@leiradel) for his incredible work converting those simulators to Lua and creating the interpreter!

Controls
[spoiler]Each game has different controls, because each machine has different buttons. If you keep pressed the START button, you will see a help window with the key mapping for the game that you are playing to.

In a lot of games, the LEFT and RIGHT TRIGGERS are mapped to the "Game A" and "Game B" buttons. So, to start playing you should press the LEFT trigger (easy game) or the RIGHT trigger (difficult game). A few games have different controls though, and you can always see them pressing START.

Besides, if you press SELECT you will toggle the ZOOM mode, making the screen larger.

If you simmultaneously press BOTH TRIGGERS, you will exit from the current game to the menu.[/spoiler]
Known issues
[spoiler]* There is a slight speed inaccuracy in a few games (mainly in the double-screen games).

* The emulator has a memory leak in the Lua code, so when you play to 4-5 different machines, the emulator will stop and you will need to reset your console.

* The PSP doesn't have enough buttons to simulate all the buttons of a few machines, so it is not possible to play a few games (Grab Man, Crazy Chewy, and Chicky Woggy Tini-Arcade version).

These issues will hopefully be fixed in later updates.[/spoiler]
Credits/Thanks
[spoiler]Big thanks to Luca "MADrigal" Antignano for developing these awesome simulators and giving permission to make this possible.

Besides, big thanks to Andre Leiradella (twitter handle: @leiradel) for his incredible work converting those simulators to Lua and creating the libretro core to run them.

Also big thanks to the Libretro team for caring about generic emulation for everybody![/spoiler]
Advertising
Last edited by fate6 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed warez link
hcf

Re: [NEW] MADrigalPSP: handheld simulators on your PSP!

Post by hcf »

Sorry, I see that this thread should be in the "Emulators" subforum (not in the "Homebrew" one). It was my fault when I created it... Is there any way to move it to the other subforum?
Advertising
fouadtjuhmaster

Post by fouadtjuhmaster »

Looks amazing! Always exciting to see PSP homebrew games in 2017
hcf

Post by hcf »

fouadtjuhmaster wrote:Looks amazing! Always exciting to see PSP homebrew games in 2017
Hey, thanks for your comment! It can be a bit frustrating to release something and not receiving any feedback! :D
Nemo1984

Post by Nemo1984 »

I'm definitely going to have a look at that!
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Moved the thread to PSP/Emu and removed link, All those roms are copyrighted fam :/
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
luck

Post by luck »

Added
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=44039
(no roms there)

thanks
robson.santana

Post by robson.santana »

Has tiger eletronics mini games?
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

So after a PM with OP it seems none of the roms that where included are copyrighted, as in they are all recreations of the games they are supposed to be instead of rips of actual games.
Now IDK anything about game and watch and the such so IDK how true that is but im going to go with the benefit of the doubt and allow it.

I have restored the link to the OP.
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
hcf

Post by hcf »

fate6 wrote:So after a PM with OP it seems none of the roms that where included are copyrighted, as in they are all recreations of the games they are supposed to be instead of rips of actual games.
Now IDK anything about game and watch and the such so IDK how true that is but im going to go with the benefit of the doubt and allow it.

I have restored the link to the OP.
Thank you very much. That is true: I used the word "roms" because I thought that it would be easier for people (as everybody always asks "where can I get the roms"), but it was obviously a mistake from my part: this is not an emulator that uses dumped roms of the original machines like MAME or many other emulators. The files that I included in the package are simulators: programs created from scratch by Luca MADrigal Antignano, recreating the behaviour of the original machines.

I'm sorry for the initial misunderstanding, fate6! If anyone wants to know more about this matter, the web page of MADrigal explains very well the difference between "emulation" (using dumped roms) and "simulation". In this case we are using "simulation", performing an imitation of the original machines.
robson.santana wrote:Has tiger eletronics mini games?
No, I'm sorry. MADrigalPSP "only" executes the 59 simulators made by MADrigal, and as far as I know there aren't Tiger machines included in this list. If we want Tiger Electronics machines on our PSP, we need a different approach: either porting a version of MAME that supports them (in this case we would be talking about "emulation" indeed) or maybe look for another person interested in creating a simulator of these machines, and port it to PSP.

Return to “Emulators”