HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
#418773 by MyLegGuy
Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:45 am
(Except for the screenshots, the OP is completely spoiler free.)
v1.9 is out! (8/31/17 8:49 PM)
v1.6 Script Converter is out! (9/6/17)

This is a port of the Higurashi: When They Cry remakes available on Steam and MangaGamer. It supports the updated character graphics and the PS3 Graphics & Voices patch.

This requires the files from the Steam versions of any of the Higurashi question arcs.
So far, I've only tested the question arcs. Chapters 1 through 4. Don't bother telling me problems you have with chapter 5. I'll ignore you.

The script converter is made with C#. If you're on Windows, you can run it with the .NET Framework that you probably already have. If you're on Linux or macOS, you need a program called Mono to run it. I've personally tested this on Linux Mint. If it doesn't work, make sure you update the .NET Framework or Mono. I needed to update Mono on Linux Mint when I tried it.

Setup (text tutorial)
You need to actually own the games on Steam. Link to the first chapter on Steam for $5.99.

Step 1 - Download the script and image converter.
Step 2 - Extract the ZIP file.
Step 3 - The next step is to get the files from the Higurashi game you want. Right click on of the Higurashi games on Steam and click "Properties" at the bottom of the menu.
Step 4 - Click "LOCAL FILES" in the top bar and then click "BROWSE LOCAL FILES".
Step 5 - A folder will be opened showing the game's files. Look inside the folder called HigurashiEpXX_Data. Copy the folder called "StreamingAssets".
Step 6 - Paste StreamingAssets in the same directory as the extracted script converter program.
Step 7 - Run HigurashiVitaCovnerter.exe.
Step 7.5 - As a quick way to check if the conversion worked, look for a folder named "Presets" in StreamingAssets.
Step 8 - When it's finished, take the StreamingAssets folder and put it at ux0:data/HIGURASHI/StreamingAssets/.

Setup (video tutorial)
This tutorial has a small error. It says that you need to enter the path for the data folder manually, you actually don't have to. The "data" folder is shown in the file explorer.

Manually Getting Latest PS3 Scripts
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS IS NO LONGER NEEDED!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Step 0 - If you want to use the PS3 voice and graphics patch, install it normally first. Then, find the specific Github page for the chapter you want. (Onikakushi's page) Click the green "Clone or download" button and then download the ZIP. Extract the ZIP you downloaded. Next, find the instillation directory of the chapter you want. (Right click the chapter you want in Steam -> properties -> local files -> browse local files) Go in the HigurashiEpXX_Data folder, then into StreamingAssets. Move the "Update" folder from the ZIP we extracted into the Streaming Assets folder. Continue with the rest of the tutorial.

Video tutorial:
Follow this if you want to install the PS3 patch. There are special instructions.

Usage
On the title screen, you can load a preset file to play the game in an elegant, user friendly way. If it says that no preset files were found, you've done something wrong. You either forgot to convert the StreamingAssets folder, or didn't put the StreamingAssets folder there at all.
You can also manually select a script to load from the "StreamingAssets/Scripts/" directory.

You may want to have a look at the settings. From there, can change the bust (character art) location. The options are "CG" or "CGAlt". Normally, "CG" is the original graphics and "CGAlt" is the Steam graphics. If you have the PS3 patch then "CG" is the PS3 character sprites. When changing the bust location, a sample image will be shown. You may also want to overclock the CPU if you're using the PS3 patch. If you're having trouble hearing the voices over the background music, you can lower the BGM volume and increase the SE volume.

After loading a preset, one of two things can happen. If it's your first time loading that preset, you get a menu where you can either choose a chapter to start on or start a brand new game. If you've already played using that preset file before, you'll be brought to a menu. From there, you can go to the next chapter, go to a previous chapter, view TIPS, and exit.
TIPS are like mini scenarios you unlock as you play.

While in game, you can press circle to toggle the text box, hold square to fast forward, press SELECT to activate Auto Mode, press triangle to access the settings, press START to access the textlog, and press X to advance.

On the menu, after loading a preset, press up, down, left, right in that order to get to a menu that you can use to edit your last COMPLETED script ID.

If the BGM stops because you went into sleep mode or something, you can go to the in-game menu by pressing triangle and restart the BGM.

Access the in-game menu to configure auto mode's speed. The bigger the number, the more time it waits after text is displayed. The number is in milliseconds. Hold L and press left or right to add or subtract 200. Don't hold L to add or subtract 500. Activate auto mode in game by pressing SELECT.

To make each preset have a different StreamingAssets folder, put a folder at
Code: Select allux0:data/HIGURASHI/StreamingAssets_xxxx/

with "xxxx" being the name of the preset file. For example,
Code: Select allux0:data/HIGURASHI/StreamingAssets_Ch1_Onikakushi.txt/
is what you would do for Ch1_Onikakushi.txt preset file.
If you do this, you can put your preset files in
Code: Select allux0:data/HIGURASHI/Presets/

Any file that needs to be on ux0 can also be put on uma0 if you download the unsafe build of the program.

About "preset" files
(Most users don't need to worry about this)
I can't figure out how Higurashi games know the order for the script files, order for TIP files, order TIPS are unlocked, and the TIP's names. I've come to the conclusion that it's hard coded or something for each chapter.
I've created a system called "preset" files.
They're just files that list the scripts, tips, tip's names, and tip's unlock order. In order to play in a user friendly way, you need a preset file for each game. Luckily, I've already made preset files for chapters 1 through 4. When you run the script converter, the preset files located in ./PackagedPresets/ will be put in the correct location in the StreamingAssets folder, ./StreamingAssets/Presets/. If you make your own preset files, put them in ux0:data/HIGURASHI/StreamingAssets/Presets/. Feel free to send a pull request on Github to add your preset files to the ones packaged with the converter.

==FORMAT OF A PRESET FILE==

TO ENTER A QUOTATION MARK, PUT \"

Use Windows or Unix newlines.
ALL NUMBERS SHOULD BE WRITTEN WITH 3 DIGITS. IF IT'S NOT THREE DIGITS, ADD ZEROES BEFORE IT!
The first line is the number of main game script files.
The lines after it are the names of the script files, without the ".txt" extension.
After the last script file's name, put a new line and then put the number of TIP script files.
Write them the same way as you did the chapter files.
After that, write the number of main game script files.
Next, write the number of TIPS that are unlocked AFTER the user finishes the first main game script file.
Next, write the number of TIPS that are unlocked AFTER the user finishes the second main game script file.
Repeat until you have one number for each main game script file.
(The following steps are optional)
Write "tipnames" without quotation marks on its own new line.
Write the number of TIPS.
Write the name of the first TIP.
Write the name of the second TIP.
Continue for all tips.
Write "chapternames" without quotation marks on its own new line
Write number of chapters
Write the name of the first chapter (usually something like Onikakushi day x, or Onikakushi Opening)
Continue for all chapters

Here's an example with comments. In an actual preset file, you can't have comments. Everything must be just right.

Please report any crashes or things that don't work in chapters 1-4. I will ignore bug reports from chapter 5.
Known issues and bugs
* Color inversion commands do nothing. This isn't used too often.
* "Films" are used to tint the screen colors. My implementation doesn't work well. This shouldn't be too big of a problem
* "Filters" are used when drawing backgrounds and busts to give them a fancy entrance. I don't know how to program this well, so backgrounds and busts have simple fade in and fade out transitions. It still looks good.
* Music stops if you press the PS button or go into sleep mode. This is an SDL_Mixer-Vita problem. You can restart the BGM from the in-game menu by pressing triangle.

Depicts two of the main characters and one of the game's settings.
So, almost no spoilers. I just thought I'd point it out because this is a completely spoiler free thread.
Screenshots
Normal graphics. Only takes up part of the screen.
PS3 graphics. Takes up most of the screen.Image
Sexy main menu

Credits -
xerpi - libvita2d and SDL-Vita
enriquesomolinos - SDL_Mixer-Vita
Full license list

Download:
https://github.com/MyLegGuy/Higurashi-Vita/releases
Script converter download:
https://github.com/MyLegGuy/HigurashiVi ... r/releases
(Optional) PS3 Voice & Graphics patch:
https://github.com/07th-mod/
Advertising
Last edited by MyLegGuy on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 42 times in total.
#418780 by swit
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:46 pm
Fantastic release. Higurashi, alongside Umineko and Steins;Gate, are some of the best VN out there.

I'm testing v1 and there is reproducable C2-12828-1 error right after onik_001.txt 2662 line:
Code: Select all//「...圭一くん、お昼にしよ☆@
PlaySE(3, "s19/02/990200043", 256, 64);
OutputLine(NULL, "「…圭一くん、お昼にしよ☆」",
   NULL, "\"...Keiichi-kun, let's have lunch.☆\"", Line_WaitForInput);
OutputLineAll(NULL, "\n", Line_ContinueAfterTyping);

I think that star in above text may be a reason for this since it's the first time that it's used and the application crashes at this part.

Considering you're using icons made in paint here are all PIC0.png, ICON0.png and livearea resources from the retail Higurashi When They Cry Sui: https://www.sendspace.com/file/k69uw0

If I remember correctly Manga_Gamer's steam release of Umineko When They Cry uses the same engine as Higurashi, right? If this is the case hopefully that VN will be also supported in your project at some point. Also any plans for supporting console arcs?

I'm planning to read whole Higurashi in your Vita engine. Thank you very much for this effort.
Advertising
#418784 by MyLegGuy
Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:56 am
swit wrote:Fantastic release. Higurashi, alongside Umineko and Steins;Gate, are some of the best VN out there.

I'm testing v1 and there is reproducable C2-12828-1 error right after onik_001.txt 2662 line:
Code: Select all//「...圭一くん、お昼にしよ☆@
PlaySE(3, "s19/02/990200043", 256, 64);
OutputLine(NULL, "「…圭一くん、お昼にしよ☆」",
   NULL, "\"...Keiichi-kun, let's have lunch.☆\"", Line_WaitForInput);
OutputLineAll(NULL, "\n", Line_ContinueAfterTyping);

I think that star in above text may be a reason for this since it's the first time that it's used and the application crashes at this part.

Considering you're using icons made in paint here are all PIC0.png, ICON0.png and livearea resources from the retail Higurashi When They Cry Sui: https://www.sendspace.com/file/k69uw0

If I remember correctly Manga_Gamer's steam release of Umineko When They Cry uses the same engine as Higurashi, right? If this is the case hopefully that VN will be also supported in your project at some point. Also any plans for supporting console arcs?

I'm planning to read whole Higurashi in your Vita engine. Thank you very much for this effort.

I fixed the bug. Turns out, I just forgot the image files for the special characters.

Umineko runs on Ponscripter and only looks similar to Higurashi.

I don't like the startup image. Too many spoilers.
I changed the icon to Onikakushi's icon so it won't look ugly. I may change the live area's images eventually, but they're a low priority as you only see it when you launch the program, unlike the icon.

I'll add support for the console arcs as I play them. I don't know when I'll play them.

Also, I've added some additional instructions in the OP for installing the PS3 patch. Please follow them and run the script converter again. The images won't need to be converted again if you use the same StreamingAssets folder, so it'll go quick.
If you're wondering why
Because I'm using Lua to interpret the scripts, there can't be missing quotation marks or other errors.
The PS3 patch is made by humans, so it has some missing quotation marks.
However, I fixed them and pushed the changes to the Github page.
The installer for the PS3 patch uses the latest release on Github.
My changes are not in the latest release yet, so the correct scripts should be directly downloaded from the page.

I actually didn't find any errors in chapters 3 or 4. I found a few in chapter 2, and only one error in chapter 1.
#418785 by swit
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:55 am
Thanks for quick fix.

edit: false alarm. For some reason I thought that furiker_b.png animation in this onik_001.txt section:
Code: Select allDisableWindow();
PlaySE( 4, "wa_008", 128, 64 );
DrawScene( "black", 100 );
DrawBustshot( 5, "furiker_b", 0, 0, 0, FALSE, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 25, 5, TRUE );
PlaySE( 4, "wa_005", 128, 64 );

went into infinite loop but the button skipped it correctly (without button press furiker_b animation repeats itself). Probably I've tried to forward it before the animation was finished or something like that. Not a problem though.
#418787 by MyLegGuy
Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:42 pm
swit wrote:Thanks for quick fix.

edit: false alarm. For some reason I thought that furiker_b.png animation in this onik_001.txt section:
Code: Select allDisableWindow();
PlaySE( 4, "wa_008", 128, 64 );
DrawScene( "black", 100 );
DrawBustshot( 5, "furiker_b", 0, 0, 0, FALSE, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 25, 5, TRUE );
PlaySE( 4, "wa_005", 128, 64 );

went into infinite loop but the button skipped it correctly (without button press furiker_b animation repeats itself). Probably I've tried to forward it before the animation was finished or something like that. Not a problem though.

Thanks for the report, I've fixed the bug.
I've also added auto mode. Check the "usage" section of the OP for details if you're interested.
#418848 by MyLegGuy
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:21 pm
Davenor wrote:Hi, will the port will be compatible with this version https://www.amazon.fr/dp/2953723501/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QYH1PKMO5M05&coliid=I1AEKKFJTT1EVY ?

Because it is the only french version of the game, thank you.

I'm sorry, it's not.
This is a port of the improved Steam and MangaGamer version. The French one you linked seems to be the original version of the game in French, not the remake.
#418897 by resistallyouwant
Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:17 pm
Hi, I'm trying to port russian version of this novel and I face with a couple of problems. When the text is displayed different symbols appear. Also, the text is moved to another line too soon, if the text is too much, then a black screen appears and nothing happens. In the English version of this I have not seen.
Attachments
2017-06-25-034321.jpg
symbols
2017-06-25-034321.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
2017-06-25-034250.jpg
text lenght
2017-06-25-034250.jpg (107.03 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
#418902 by MyLegGuy
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:07 pm
resistallyouwant wrote:Hi, I'm trying to port russian version of this novel and I face with a couple of problems. When the text is displayed different symbols appear. Also, the text is moved to another line too soon, if the text is too much, then a black screen appears and nothing happens. In the English version of this I have not seen.

Can you send me one of the script files in Russian for me to look at?

I've tried to fix the glitch where the text goes to the next line too early. I'm not 100% sure it will work.

The problem with the text going to the next line too soon can be fixed for sure once I have an actual Russian script file to test with.

(I've made it so there are a max of 60 letters on one line. If there are actually 60 letters, including spaces, then it's working.)

I've fixed the glitch where text runs out of space and the screen goes black.
With this fix, the text will be cleared when it runs out of space and start from the top again. It's not a perfect fix, so try to avoid running out of space after I fix the issue where not enough text is put on one line.

Here's an updated VPK:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kx4l4seufyigc ... t.vpk?dl=1

Please try it and report the problems you have.
Also, this version has a text log you can access by pressing START. It's the next new feature. ;)
#418906 by resistallyouwant
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:58 am
It works, thank you! :D no bugs have not noticed. I made screenshots.
(p.s. the scripts are old because the translate is made for a very old version of the PS3 patch)
Attachments
2017-06-26-032809.jpg
2017-06-26-032809.jpg (170.59 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
2017-06-26-032739.jpg
2017-06-26-032739.jpg (113.86 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
(113.8 KiB) Downloaded 23 times