Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

CFW installation 2016 - Slim 2000 - Some question

Everything that is PSP-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
asgard20032
Location: Milky Way, Solar system, Earth, North America, Canada, Québec..... In front of my computer

CFW installation 2016 - Slim 2000 - Some question

Post by asgard20032 »

I finally plugged my psp after not having used it since many year. I know there are many tutorial and "outdated" info on the web, thus the reason I am asking it here, to get the advice of some veteran.

My psp current firmware is 6.60.

1. Should i keep 6.60 or should I upgrade to 6.61?
2. Now that everything as matured (and surely even in final version), which CFW should I use?
3. Is a pandora battery still needed?
4. What is that PSX emulation enabled in some CFW? I was sure there where many signed emulator that could emulate psone game, so why does there is some psx emulation thing?
5. Any information for a newcomer in those thing in 2016?
Advertising
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: CFW installation 2016 - Slim 2000 - Some question

Post by fate6 »

1)Doesn't matter but I would go 6.61 just for the sake of being on the last firmware

2)PRO or ME, They are both the same by this point so it really doesn't matter.

3)Not at all unless you brick your system.

4)The PSP has a built in PS1 emulator(its more a simulator but that's a topic for another time).

5)IDK :/

6) Wow I havn't seen a m0skit0 userbar in a long time!
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
asgard20032
Location: Milky Way, Solar system, Earth, North America, Canada, Québec..... In front of my computer

Post by asgard20032 »

Why everywhere I see info about CFW pro, they say to use the recovery option? If the CFW is non permanent, and thus revert back to OFW, then why using recovery instead of reinstalling it? (recovery vs install back the non permanent)?

Also, why if dual booting, they say to uninstall the previous firmware? Since they are non permanent, a hard shutdown and then overwrite (without uninstalling) isnt sufficient? Since when hard shutdown, there is nothing to uninstall, since already gone.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/PSP/Custo ... stallation

Code: Select all

Dual-booting Light CFW
Since Light CFW is temporary, you can jump between PRO and ME CFW without a hitch.
Uninstall the previous LCFW.
To uninstall PRO CFW, run PRO Update and press Triangle.
To uninstall LME CFW, run LME Installer for 660 and press Square.
Follow the steps above to install your chosen custom firmware.
It seem i need more info on what actually happen when hard shutdown with a temporary CFW.

===================

fate6 wrote:6) Wow I havn't seen a m0skit0 userbar in a long time!
Yeah, being a while I was not here. But now that everything is mature(SDK, CFW and etc...), and I want to toy with something (emulator and psp programming), I think it is time to remove the dust from my PSP.

But I don't know if I will really embark on the PSP bandwagon or if I will just get a nintendo new 3ds. Unfortunately, PSP was not a real success game wise. (PSP had few good title, but nintendo ds just had more AA game. Maybe sony tried to target the wrong market : console game (like gears of wars) and FPS (like resistance) into a handled device) into an handled market (where the control don't always allow the best fluidity, and screen + gpu not enough (resistance was ugly, not graphical, but more on the fluidity on screen), and also where gamer usually use the console on the move, and thus require short session with frequent save point, and easy/simple to use control that even in an uncomfortable position it can be played decently). Although, the nintendo switch may prove me wrong. From my point of view, the problem with the PSP itself was not the console, but more the range of game (they should have made more AAA RPG and platformer (like nintendo did with pokemon and mario and zelda).
Last edited by fate6 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged posts
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Actually even the "light" CFW write files to flash0 its just they don't overwrite any of the OFW ones, I assume you have a 3k+ system? one that couldn't have permanent CFW before? If so then I very highly suggest Infinity.
http://infinity.lolhax.org/

It will let you permanently install either PRO or LME on all systems tho for the 1k and early 2k nothing beats good ol cIPL.
Now for dual booting yea they can both be installed but I would advise against it since I personally had my PSP brick due to bad blocks soon after doing it, can't say for sure it wasn't just bad timing but thats my take on it.
That said PRO and LME do not have any conflicts file wise so you can install them fine then just boot whichever you want with their fast recovery, I still suggest using the cIPL patcher for PRO or the full none "light" ME on 1k and early 2k systems.

Oh and the reason for using the fast recovery instead of reinstalling is simple, all the CFW files are already in flash so you just need to get the PSP to load them.
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
asgard20032

Post by asgard20032 »

I have a 2000 psp, god of war edition. But permanent = more risk of brick, while the non permanent is more safe.

I am not sure about what you said. You say dual boot can brick, then afterward you say it is safe since they do not overwrite each other file.

So can I install both of them, or do I need to uninstall PRO before booting LME? And uninstall LME before booting PRO?
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Install 6.61 ME and be done with it IMHO, Don't bother with "light" CFW with your PSP.

Return to “General”