Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

psvits charge port fix/mod micro usb

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
HarmfulMushroom

Re: psvits charge port fix/mod micro usb

Post by HarmfulMushroom »

Retro_Mod_Gamer wrote:Is this thread dead? I have a Vita 1000 with a broken charge port I would love to mod to a micro USB.
Well the last comment was from 2 and a half years ago, so yeah this thread was pretty dead... But I can tell you from personal experience that the OP was not lying, those pins are crazy small. You need a pretty good iron with a thin tip to have a hope of soldering a port on correctly. Definitely not noob friendly, I think it's on par with dumping the Vita nand with a hardware dumper if not harder. If you want to try it, good luck!
Advertising
Retro_Mod_Gamer

Post by Retro_Mod_Gamer »

I have a decent amount of soldering experience, I used to modchip Xboxes and I've replaced charge ports on 3ds's, modded DS's into Single screen Gameboys. I just can't tell exactly what to do from these pictures.
Advertising
HarmfulMushroom

Retro_Mod_Gamer wrote:I have a decent amount of soldering experience, I used to modchip Xboxes and I've replaced charge ports on 3ds's, modded DS's into Single screen Gameboys. I just can't tell exactly what to do from these pictures.
I'm going to take a crack at it within the next couple days myself. Found a Vita in amazing shape for $50 with a bad charging port (hopefully only thing wrong with it). If it goes well I'll post my experience.
Retro_Mod_Gamer

I'm in the same situation. I found a Vita for $50 a while back, everything is perfect except the charge port. I assumed a micro usb mod was a common and we'll documented mod. Please let us know how it goes!
HarmfulMushroom

Retro_Mod_Gamer wrote:I'm in the same situation. I found a Vita for $50 a while back, everything is perfect except the charge port. I assumed a micro usb mod was a common and we'll documented mod. Please let us know how it goes!
Will do, not sure if I will be able to get to it this weekend or not but this might help you:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

According to my multi-meter those other white and green points should, in theory, also work for data transfer through QCMA. I would imagine soldering to that would be a *** load easier than those microscopic points.
HarmfulMushroom

Alright, I'm back. Soldering was actually pretty successful, (found out soldering to the pins was actually easier than the alternative points above, who would've thought...). However, despite this no success charging anything. I plug it into the computer and windows sees it, (vita can even tell it's been plugged into a computer), however I can't get it to actually show up in device manager. Windows says the device malfunctioned. At the moment I'm stumped, probably going to shelve this project for a little bit. Maybe a blown fuse or something.

Here is a better guide I stumbled across while trying to troubleshoot it: http://imaginglabo.web.fc2.com/PSvita-USB.htm

Might just end up throwing in the towel with the data pins and mod the battery itself with a charger such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QGVQNA8/re ... 9491641&sr Could even solder wires to the charging led and hook them up to the orange charging led on the vita. Vita will never know it's charging, but the light will let you know that it's charging.
Retro_Mod_Gamer

Thanks Harmful, I'm going to take a loOK at all these options. I'm considering a battery replacement mod so there should be a few ways to address this issue. Cheers!
HarmfulMushroom

Retro_Mod_Gamer wrote:Thanks Harmful, I'm going to take a loOK at all these options. I'm considering a battery replacement mod so there should be a few ways to address this issue. Cheers!
You got it man! I may try soldering up my fully functioning vita 1000 series to see if I can rule out fried resistor.. Everyone I've seen that has done this mod has had zero issues with charging at least. There is absolutely no way my bad soldering could be to blame with the charging part of this, possibly data but not power. If I have time/feel like it later today I'll give it a whirl. I'll post back with results.

EDIT: Tested and, unless the port I'm using is bad, still does not work. So most likely resistor is just fine. Waiting on new ports from China to get here, will test one final time then.
TheProdigy

Post by TheProdigy »

Does anyone have a good tutorial on how to do this?
dmaskell92

Post by dmaskell92 »

last post was in 2014, do you really need to ask?
Does it quit? If not, then it's legit... Too legit.

Nvidia Shield Portable 48gb
Dreamcast: SEGA Sports - 80gb IDE HDD
4k PS3 Super Slim OFW 4.82
1k PSP: 6.60 ME-2.3
1K PSVita: Ensō 32GB - 64GB SD2VITA - 128GB PSVSD

Return to “General”