Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

List of games using analog controls for camera movement

Everything that is PSP-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
DS_Marine
Developer

Re: List of games using analog controls for camera movement

Post by DS_Marine »

This might be adapted to games that use the d-pad, using PWM.
i.e., for a reading of 50% you send a button press every other gametic/frame, for 25% you send 1 on/3off, etc...
Advertising
ImagePSP-Controlled drone
"Hackers don't have superpowers. Just a hackable PSP and a brain (ships by default on most humans models)" -Wololo
reprep

Post by reprep »

@DS_Marine: Hmm, what if it is 25% in one frame and 50% in other frame etc?
Advertising
DS_Marine
Developer

Post by DS_Marine »

Well yeah it was a blunt example. First of all, I didn't come up with this. IIRC is how systems like REALSOUND worked on IMB/PC to have digital samples played on the system speaker/beeper.

-The lazy way-
[spoiler]Choose a resolution/sample time. I.e. 12 frames
we take a sample of the analog stick, and use a function to scale the (0-127) value to the bits we will use for the button for the next 12 frames. I chose 12 because we can easily take vales 0-7 as deadzone and scale the rest 120 to 12, this would be the numbers of 1's we have to send, evenly distributed. Since there are only 12 values we would use an array as the lookup table. this will be much faster than using a function to calculate it every time.
i.e.
dtable[0]=000000000000
dtable[1]=000000100000
dtable[2]=000100001000
dtable[3]=001000100100
dtable[4]=010010010010
dtable[5]=101010010101
dtable[6]=101010101010
dtable[7]=101011101010
dtable[8]=101110101110
dtable[9]=101110101111
dtable[a]=111111011111
dtable=111111111111

You just copy the correct pattern to the correct output buffer (one for each direction) and keep outputting the bits.
if the analog changes in the middle of the 12 bits you just update the buffer. It's not perfect, but if you were in the middle of sending 101110101111 and you go full scale, 111111111111 still will get out more 1's.[/spoiler]
I hope this makes some sense .D
"Hackers don't have superpowers. Just a hackable PSP and a brain (ships by default on most humans models)" -Wololo
reprep

Post by reprep »

@DS_Marine: I think it will be jerky, like take one step, stop. Also it isnt very code friendly as it needs to alter the future inputs too. Right now GTA LCS plugin remaps only the current frame's button input, it doesnt mess with the future ones. if the game accepts digital input, not much to do i guess.
DS_Marine
Developer

Post by DS_Marine »

What you do is PLAN for the future frames. But you are refreshing the pattern at every frame. (and walking it bit by bit). So if you are moving and suddenly stop, the 0 pattern will be written and the movement will stop in the next frame (you dont reset bit position on pattern change).
I think it could work ok. yeah it may be somewhat jerky for uneven patterns.
reprep

Post by reprep »

Even if @theflow0's plugin isn't ported to the games in the list, i can do game specific ports of ds3remapper to make maximum usage of game controls like i did for resistance retribution. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41385 You have to be willing to help me and provide necessary information though. Also this is only possible for games that use the analog stick directly, not a button + camera combination. For most of button + camera combination games, game code should be patched. For example, i can't do it for Tomb Raiders but i can do it for Medal of Honor Heroes. Refer to the list in the first page.

Also here is a brief description on why Super Stardust Portable isn't added to the list. I am doing this in case other games show the same behaviour too.

[spoiler]Normally movement is controlled via analog stick and shooting direction is controlled via face buttons in this game. Alternative controls let you use movement via face buttons and shooting direction via analog stick. So in theory game can use analog input both for shooting direction and movement so it is a great candidate for the port of gta_patch plugin.

In reality, even the game lets you use analog stick for shooting direction, it is still digital only. It means you can only shoot in 4 main directions (L,R,U,D) and the diagonals (LU,LD,RU,RD) a total of 8 directions. Not fully analog so it doesnt qualify in the list. Funny thing is, the PS3 original version Super Stardust HD also has the same behaviour and you can only shoot in 8 directions.

Still if anyone out there is interested i can do a specialized version of DS3Remapper for this particular game to let you play it via two analog sticks of DS3 on a psp go.[/spoiler]
MuskratDesman

Post by MuskratDesman »

prince of persia Revelations and Rival Swords - its possible?
reprep

Post by reprep »

MuskratDesman wrote:prince of persia Revelations and Rival Swords - its possible?
I can try. Please send me information about these games' current controller setup, if there are other version of the games in consoles, these versions' controller setup (Dualshock 2 for example) and finally how you want your final controller setup.

You can contact me via PM here or more preferably on twitter via DM.
AllShamButNoWow_

Post by AllShamButNoWow_ »

Daxter uses the L + R buttons exclusively for camera functions. There is also the possibility to map the controls in that game I think, dont know if this helps (Also not 100% sure if you are allowed to btw)
Would love to play this game with full camera control since its a platformer

Return to “General”