Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[OPEN] Technical question about the specs of HENkaku

You have questions and can't find another subforum to ask? Go here
zippycorners

[OPEN] Technical question about the specs of HENkaku

Post by zippycorners »

Hi, I'm asking just because I'm curious, mostly about the differences between kernal and native exploits.

I remember back in the early 2.XX FW days, vita kernal exploits (TN-V, Ark) had access to 64MB of RAM. This was, I believe, specific to the PSP emulator in the vita? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Once the Vita FW was updated past 2.12, the vita lost access to all 64MB of ram, and was only able to use 32MB of ram. This was disappointing since a lot of complex games and some homebrews were unable to run with half the ram. (Monster Hunter, Daedalus, NZP, etc).

However, now that we're on 3.60 with a native HENkaku exploit, I'm curious about what that means about access to the vita's specs.

Using the forum search, I found this post about Rejuvenate from last year:
viewtopic.php?p=395258#p395258
skogaby wrote:
yifanlu wrote:What kind of homebrews will we see? Is it any better than PSP homebrew?

This depends on how many developers are willing to invest time in writing homebrew for the Vita. I’m as hopeful as you are. In terms of pure statistics:
The PSP-3000 has:
  • 64MB of shared memory,
  • 333MHz CPU, and
  • 166MHz GPU.
The Vita has:
  • 512MB of main memory and 128MB of dedicated video RAM.
  • It has four cores of CPU running at around ~1GHz
  • and four cores of GPU running at around ~200MHz.
  • In addition, the Vita also has the entire PSP hardware inside its silicon.
The exploit used also allow for developers to use dynamic-recompilation features for speeding up emulators.
I'm aware of what yifanlu's original article said. But myself and several others have confirmed that at least for RAM, we only have about 12MB to work with right now with the current version of rejuvenate. I don't know how much CPU resource we have, but it's certainly not the full power of the Vita's hardware.
So this is all rather confusing, and I haven't been able to figure out what kind of access to the Vita hardware a native exploit like HENkaku actually gives homebrewers. There also isn't any information about that kind of stuff on the HENkaku website. Can someone break it down for me?
Advertising
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: [OPEN] Technical question about the specs of HENkaku

Post by fate6 »

OK those old kernel and user exploits where for the PSP and ran in the Vita's ePSP thus means nothing in terms to Vita hardware access since the ePSP is in a sandbox that pretends to be a PSP.

Rejuvenate was a odd case in that it gave access to PSM and iirc some other functions that normal PSM apps couldn't use.

HENkaku is special in that its a truly native solution and in fact has been crippled by the molecule team for teh lulz, What does this one give you access to? Everything, Well not stuff like the boot loader so no perma CFW but homebrew wise it has or at least can have access to anything a official game can use and even more since it gives access to other normally hidden functions iirc.

Someone please correct me if im wrong since im pulling this from memory and speculation here.
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?

Return to “Support”