Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] CATSFC-libretro-vita-1.30 - 2-player on PSTV, more

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
skogaby

[RELEASE] CATSFC-libretro-vita-1.30 - 2-player on PSTV, more

Post by skogaby »

Hey guys,

I read about HENkaku a few days ago and decided to pick up a PSTV while they're cheap, and I've also updated CATSFC-libretro-vita with a few new features / HENkaku-compatibility.

For those who don't know, CATSFC-libretro-vita is a SNES emulator for the PSVita and PSTV. It is based on CATSFC-libretro, which is based on SNES9x 1.43.

NEW FEATURES
* Support for local multiplayer on PSTV using 2 connected wireless controllers! Simply connect the second controller and it will automatically work in the emulator using the same button configurations as player 1.
* Support for the SNES mouse! I've only tested it in Mario Paint, but it seems to be working fine. Control the mouse with the left analog stick or right analog stick. Use cross, square, or L to left-click. Use circle, triangle, or R for right click. Enable either the gamepad or the mouse using the Options tab in the menu. I'll probably improve the mouse controls in the future, but hey, it works for now.

Download: https://github.com/skogaby/CATSFC-libre ... /tag/1.3.0
Source code: https://github.com/skogaby/CATSFC-libretro

As always, please let me know if you encounter any serious issues, and let me know if you actually enjoy the local multiplayer feature! I hope more emulators incorporate it in the future.
Advertising
Last edited by skogaby on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeroba

Re: CATSFC-libretro-vita-1.30 - Local multiplayer on PSTV, m

Post by Zeroba »

Amazing! Thank you so much for this, I was just thinking about this today and wondering if it was possible with the PSTV.
This pretty much almost completes my perfect pocket sized couch co-op machine.
Was it an easy edit to the core? I'm wondering if others can do this to some other cores with ease.
I'm no developer.
Maybe you should add [Release] in the title so others know it's a release and not a request.
Advertising
Vita 1k 6.60 - HENkaku
PSP 3k 6.60 - PRO-C
skogaby

Post by skogaby »

Zeroba wrote:Amazing! Thank you so much for this, I was just thinking about this today and wondering if it was possible with the PSTV.
This pretty much almost completes my perfect pocket sized couch co-op machine.
Was it an easy edit to the core? I'm wondering if others can do this to some other cores with ease.
I'm no developer.
Maybe you should add [Release] in the title so others know it's a release and not a request.
It was pretty easy, other developers can see my changes in the github link above.

I originally added a [Release] tag, but the topic names have to be really short and I couldn't fit a release tag and still mention local multiplayer in the title. I figured the local multiplayer bit was more important to include :P
Zeroba

Post by Zeroba »

You're not wrong at all, that's mostly what made me click.
Did you notice CATSFC apparently changed/updated to Snes9X_2005?
Is there any real difference between the two cores that you know of or is it simply the name?
Vita 1k 6.60 - HENkaku
PSP 3k 6.60 - PRO-C
xylkz

Re: [RELEASE] CATSFC-libretro-vita-1.30 - 2-player on PSTV,

Post by xylkz »

That's great. Thks you.We just play it one hour with my brothers.

PocketSnes is the best SNES core.Emulation is much better for all games.
Do you plan to update it too?
Malachi

Post by Malachi »

Awesome release man and glad to see you have come back! Could I make one request: would it be possible to add true 4:3 aspect ratio? Your "4:3 fit" is nice but not true 4:3. Thanks and keep up the good work.
brandonheat8

Post by brandonheat8 »

Love this release! Thank you so very much, but I do have to questions, would it be possible to also get the snes2010 libretro with this interface since earthworm Jim 2 has the proper sound on that one? And no matter what I do I cannot get past the intro movie on Super Mario RPG, it plays at a locked 60 fps but as soon as the intro goes away it turns black and there's nothing I can do.
ma16v3

Post by ma16v3 »

Local two player for this is REALLY good on PSTV. You've done some excellent work.

As stated above, SMRPG hangs after the intro scene. The only other things of note are that menus in Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 do not display properly at all. I feel like those issues will be related, but I'm more pressed for SMRPG right now than SoM or SD3.
skogaby

Post by skogaby »

I'll have to look into supporting hi-res blending, as that's the issue with the broken graphics in some games I think. The code looks like it's already configured correctly, I'd have to do some digging on that. I have no clue why SMRPG isn't working at the moment.

As far as switching out cores, I haven't looked into it. This is essentially the emulator I ported in August of 2015 to Rejuvenate, but updated for HENkaku and with a few new features. I'll have to look into speed/compatibility tradeoffs for updating the core itself.

Also, I'm relabeling the 4:3 option in the next release to just be "1x original size", "2x original size", etc. The reason it's not 4:3 is because the SNES itself wasn't 4:3. The SNES native resolution was 256x224, or 8:7. This is what it's rendering at in CATSFC-libretro-vita, and that isn't something I configured myself, it's the native resolution. The final aspect ratio is correct, though, it's just mislabeled as 4:3 and will be re-labeled in the next release.

If you're wanting a "true" 4:3 option in that we stretch the 8:7 to 4:3, that's doable, but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking.
Malachi

Post by Malachi »

skogaby wrote:Also, I'm relabeling the 4:3 option in the next release to just be "1x original size", "2x original size", etc. The reason it's not 4:3 is because the SNES itself wasn't 4:3. The SNES native resolution was 256x224, or 8:7. This is what it's rendering at in CATSFC-libretro-vita, and that isn't something I configured myself, it's the native resolution. The final aspect ratio is correct, though, it's just mislabeled as 4:3 and will be re-labeled in the next release.

If you're wanting a "true" 4:3 option in that we stretch the 8:7 to 4:3, that's doable, but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking.
Ah yes I understand. I apologize for not clarifying :oops:

I believe what I meant to say was creating an option to stretch 8:7 to 4:3. This would give me an authentic "playing on a square tv" look that I was used to when I was younger. Nostalgia ;)

Return to “HENkaku”