Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[OPEN] Advantages of firmware 3.18 against 3.52 and lower?

You have questions and can't find another subforum to ask? Go here
cloudfe

[OPEN] Advantages of firmware 3.18 against 3.52 and lower?

Post by cloudfe »

I checked several guides, but still I can't understand if there are substantial advantages in having the firmware 3.18 over the ones after it. Is it only a matter of simplicity in the hacking method, or there are things I can do on 3.18 that I can't with the others (up until 3.52)?

I apologise if this question has been asked over and over already :(
Advertising
amirmaher

Re: [OPEN] Advantages of firmware 3.18 against 3.52 and lowe

Post by amirmaher »

i prefer staying at 3.18 since there are package installer and webkit exploit.
and there isn't the annoying PSP/GAME protection you can do whatever you want with tn-v.
just stick with it and never update if you want these features ;)
Advertising
PS Vita 3G/WiFi 3.60 HENkaku
cloudfe

Post by cloudfe »

Thank you for replying.
What I'd like to understand is if there is something that is literally not possible to accomplish on firmwares higher than 3.18. Or it is only a matter of easier and harder?
Cyber

Post by Cyber »

cloudfe wrote:What I'd like to understand is if there is something that is literally not possible to accomplish on firmwares higher than 3.18. Or it is only a matter of easier and harder?
TN-X is literally impossible to use on firmwares after 3.18 (3.20).
Everything else I can think of can be achieved on newer firmwares, although it's often a (much) more painful process.
So if you care about the best possible experience in PS1 games (perfect sound, savestate support, fast forward and native Vita menu), you really shouldn't go above 3.20. PS1 games are also playable via TN-V and PS1 bubbles, but these methods lack important features.
TN-V10, which I feel is superior to TN-V11 (3.18 Vita can run both) also requires firmware <3.30.
cloudfe

Post by cloudfe »

Ok, so in the end it comes down to better PS1 emulation and the procedures being less of a pain in the ****.
When you say "PS1 bubbles" are you also referring to PSOne loader by TheFlow? Does this mean the 3.18 native PS1 emulation is still superior to TheFlow's method?
Bert960

Post by Bert960 »

cloudfe wrote:Ok, so in the end it comes down to better PS1 emulation and the procedures being less of a pain in the ****.
When you say "PS1 bubbles" are you also referring to PSOne loader by TheFlow? Does this mean the 3.18 native PS1 emulation is still superior to TheFlow's method?
In my opinion, I believe that TN-X is far convenient than the PSONE loader. When the Flow released his exploit, I was hoping it would be similar to TN-X. In reality, it only allows the user to create one ps1 bubble at a time, but in a complicated way. TN-X is better because PS1 games are loaded up in a single loader, it's easier to remove or add games, and it's user-friendly. Just like a VHBL Bubble where you have all your emulators in one app, TN-X is useful
Bert960

Post by Bert960 »

For all the people who keep asking whether it's better to update from 3.18/3.20, just invest in a second Vita, so you can better compare the differences without having to sacrifice any vulnerable exploits.
cloudfe

Post by cloudfe »

Bert960 wrote:TN-X is better because PS1 games are loaded up in a single loader, it's easier to remove or add games, and it's user-friendly. Just like a VHBL Bubble where you have all your emulators in one app, TN-X is useful
Putting the convenience aside, are the performances comparable?
Cyber

Post by Cyber »

cloudfe wrote:When you say "PS1 bubbles" are you also referring to PSOne loader by TheFlow? Does this mean the 3.18 native PS1 emulation is still superior to TheFlow's method?
Yes, TheFlow's method of creating PS1 bubbles is the only way to create them, so I didn't specify that.
Emulation itself - as in game compatibility - seems to be the same, as in official EBOOTs work flawlessly while custom ones work on a case by case basis.
The difference is in everything else: with a bubble you only get base/bare PS1 game functionality close to playing legit PSN games off of PSN. With TN-X you get the same plus savestate support and fast forward (which is essential for games like Legend of Dragoon) - and the hassle of setting up a bubble is nowhere near to the convenience of a launcher.

PS Vita @ 3.18 / PS TV @ 3.20 is not only the best firmware for playing PS1 games, but it's the only practical way of playing them, I'd say. Other than that, all Rejuvenate-capable 3.3x-3.5x firmwares can do the same things, except it's generally more of a hassle on a newer firmwares.
cloudfe

Post by cloudfe »

I got it now. Thank you for taking the time to type it all :)

Return to “Support”