Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[Tutorial] Dualshock4 Sound Reactive

Post here your guides, tips, How-to, etc...
koolkatsmoke

[Tutorial] Dualshock4 Sound Reactive

Post by koolkatsmoke »

Ok, So heres a little something i did and have decided to create a tut and post it here first.
Let me start off by saying that this is not for everybody and it will require good soldering skills.
I'm posting it here first in the hopes that members here will take advantage and try it first before others outside of this community. :)

Should you decide to give it a whirl, you try this at Your Own Risk. Ill try to give as much detail in the tut for everyone, however i am not responsible for
your work or any mishaps that you may incur.

So, Lets get this party started then:

1st-
Start off by opening the DS4 controller. You will have four screws underneath to remove.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

2nd-
I have found it easier to open the controller by squeezing at the points shown. It will allow the shell to slightly crack and allow u to either:
use a tool along the sides or your fingernails along the side to split the sides apart.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The top shell has locking tabs in the areas shown below. Be carefull when opening in this areas as to not break them. However one of my
controllers i snapped the front ones off as it makes it easier to open and reassemble easier. The screws hold the shell in place and have not
noticed any gap or slack between the shells.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

3rd-
Remove the battery and you'll have one last screw to remove. Remove the reset button, also remove the touch pad ribbon connector right above the
batteries casing.Carefully remove the two sections apart.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Circled below is the area in which you are going to be working at.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

4th-
Ok here are the studs/terminals that you will be using. Notice the polarity for the Led`s purposes.

This is where good soldering experience comes into play, like with many psp`s in the past i use SMD 0603 for most of my mods as well as 30 gauge wire.
(These materials are real small and require practice before being able to be efficient with them. Practice, practice first...
Usually i add a resistor to the led, however because its rarely used and the draw is minimum, i went without it).
Basically measure and solder the wires to the LED`s and the to the studs.
Do not solder them to the top of the studs themselves as a bad solder glob could damage the speaker contacts.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Be sure not to overheat the studs when soldering as they can become loose and possibly be misaligned with the speakers contact points (this is where using Flux helps).
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

5th-
K, now for the positioning. Since the wire gauge is tiny, one is able to route the wires below the ribbon cable. it helped in keeping the LED in place while
putting it all back together.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

6th-
Now reverse the process in putting all back together. Dont forget about the reset button... lol, it happens.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

7th-
Now give it a quick test thru the PS4 settings menu. Under Devices , then controllers, then speaker volume. If all is good, the put the screws back on and ur done.
The mod itself will work awesome. However remember that it really depends on the game developers itself and how they add the volume functions of the controller.
Its freaking sweeet with Dead Nation and with the playroom as well.

:shock: :shock: 8-) 8-)
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

:D :D :D :D :D :D

And i guess, thats all this tut has to offer...
Hope you guys enjoyed, and looking forward to see if any other members try it and post their stuff.
Advertising
Last edited by SMOKE on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please place large images in spoilers
coachjames

Re: [Tutorial] Dualshock4 Sound Reactive

Post by coachjames »

Nice work there Kool!!!!
Advertising
SMOKE
Retired Mod

Post by SMOKE »

This looks cool man! Good job
Too bad I don't have a PS4..

Also, just a reminder, large images go in spoilers.
You can either leave the images in the spoilers I put on the Op, or you can resize them ;)
koolkatsmoke

Post by koolkatsmoke »

SMOKE wrote:This looks cool man! Good job
Too bad I don't have a PS4..
Thx thx
SMOKE wrote:Also, just a reminder, large images go in spoilers.
You can either leave the images in the spoilers I put on the Op, or you can resize them ;)
k,copy. Ill leave it in the spoilers, more detailed in the pics than having to shrink em down.
Sorry ill remember when i make the Vita one i wanna work on next.
dboyz

Post by dboyz »

Nice mod :o !!! I'll eagerly wait for your Vita's mod !!
we forgive but we never forget
JMQMOfficials

Post by JMQMOfficials »

Omg that is absolutely awesome! Light mode are the best! You have a high chance on winning that $20 code!

Return to “Tutorials”